Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 what cha'll sewin' these days?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what cha'll sewin' these days? Next Topic
Page: of 3

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  08:04:04 AM  Show Profile
how's all that dolly making coming along? anyone making bunnies/fabric eggs/carrots?

anyone quiltin' .. rug hooking .. doin' some embroidery .. makin' aprons?

how are those YO's doin'? ya' got SIXTY of them yet?

i need to make more dollies! gonna' start on some more tonight!

wanna' see pics of your latest creations!

True Friends, Frannie

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  08:25:00 AM  Show Profile
I've got about 40 yo yo's so far...starting a new embroidered towel with a kittie baking...found a great book at my library's book sale for only $1...the Reader Digests book on Needlework...everything you could imagine in it...lots of embroidery stitches I want to try out... want to start a needlepunch picture...oh, the list goes on and on...My goal is to actually finish what I've started before I start something new, I'll let you know how that works out.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  08:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I always have about 200 or more projects going at once so It is too hard to say. From multipe quilts, rugs, needle puch, latch hook rugs, braided rugs, crochet, tatting, tenneriffe, bobbinlace, romanina lace, embroidery( pillow cases right now), blankets for baby's being born, dresses for my girls, crazy daisy flowers for afghan, three weave it blankets and so on I can't list them all. Not even enough time in the day to do that let alone do them all.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:32:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile
lordy! don't we all have tons of started and not yet finished projects! i am TROOLY trying to NOT start something that i can't finish these days. HA! will let you know how THAT works out too! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile
yes, same as wendy, way to many ideas, not enough skill. Anyway, rag rug, embroidery,knitting,sewing little sewies, going to try , try, a clothespin holder for my new clothesline, and reading.Working outside on the good days, and we have had a few nice ones here and there.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I've been working on my yo yos. Lots of fun. Gave me all sorts of ideas.

And I've launched a line of kids clothes called "Bebe Couture" and "Vintage Bebe Couture". For Vintage Bebe Couture, I've been buying old patterns that go back to the 20s - 50s and making kids clothes from them in vintage fabric (with vintage trims like lace and buttons I've collected from antique stores) and repro fabric. It's fascinating to work from old patterns. They were unmarked! Also, the instructions were scanty. They expected you to know certain basic things, not like today when the pattern companies walk you through it.

For Bebe Couture, I'm using contemporary patterns but I'm using the best fabric (cotton and dupioni silk) in my own creative designs. They look like something out of a chic kids store where the clothes cost more than the baby did. I want to make these kinds of clothes affordable.

I also just created "Paris Moon" - a half moon made from dupioni silk embellished with an antique chandelier crystal that's romantic and really pretty. It hangs from transparent thread so all you see is the moon floating. It could be hung over a crib as a mobile or just hung wherever you want a bit of whimsy. I bought a bunch of crystals at a Paris flea market a couple of years ago and I'm using those (and keeping some of course. Who knows when I'll get back there?)

I'll be posting photos in my etsy store when my phototgrapher friend comes to visit.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile
I made a cute apron to give to a "red hatter" that retired last Friday from where I work...The sweetest "red hatter" fabric~~
I still have a purse to finish and a partially completed apron..Next-I want to make a toaster cozie and placemats..I bought the cutest chicken fabric with some yellow-gold checked fabric for piping...Cant wait to get started...
I have come to the conclusion....My job really interferes with my productivity!!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  1:35:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm making yo-yo's. Have a quite a few done. Made two sabbath day bunnies & carrots & a little roll-up fabric bed for them. Gonna make more dolls this weekend.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I'm on the verge of I don't know how many things. Right now I have a knit toque going. Wrong time of year. Yeah, except that less then two months from now I'll be doing my first primitive tent camping trip. Nearly every year I wish I had a warm hat so this year I'm knitting myself one. I'm also trying to teach myself how to knit in the continental method. Got the knit stitch down, now I have to learn to purl.

But the big news is that the work on my house is almost done and I will have an empty craft room to fill. I'm already dreaming of stashes of fabric and I have skeins of yarn hidden here and there that I haven't started yet and now probably won't until fall. I've also all of a sudden have gotten the urge to embroider. I got 4 denim bags on sale and since I'm using a walker right now I really need them. I found some Linea stencils on sale so I will be starting to embroider the bags soon. I also got a couple of crazy quilting books for 50% off and they are full of motifs. I think these "stencils" could be made easily with a woodburning tool or something similar.

I feel like I'm bursting with creativity right now. It's a great feeling. Wonder if it's just the weather or the fact that the house is almost done or what? Oh and I got a new sewing machine. I still haven't tried threading it yet because I didn't even own any thread and I bought some fabric to play with but I bought stuff I liked so I didn't want to ruin it. So today I found some for 1.45 a yard and just took what was on top!! Maybe now I will find out how the machine works.

Thanks for listening to my babbling

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:35:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm just looking at dresses and skirts in mail-order catalogs (I hate shopping) and online.... I have two wedding "events" to attend this spring, one in Florida and one in Cape Cod, and I'm afraid that the jeans I wear around home and the "business casual" wardrobe I wear to work just aren't going to cut it. I'm considering sewing some skirts and tops, any suggestions as to patterns/fabrics for beach weddings? I'm a 2X and have an "O" shape - princess style seems to work best for my shape...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  4:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I've been looking at Simplicity pattern 5767. It's a dress with princess seaming with a couple of different sleeve lengths and neckline choices. I like princess seaming as well but I have a fitting problem with it because I am big busted and my fullest curve isn't quite where the fullest curve is on the pattern. I'm also short so I really shouldn't be lengthening anything. I have a memorial service coming up and my wardrobe isn't going to cut it either. The woman being memorialized had a very "unique" sense of style and I'm sure she wouldn't care what I wore but I'm sure her kids would notice so I had better behave.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, what an exciting time for you! imagine, a whole craft room to furnish! Woo hoo! And a new sewing machine too! You go girl!

I went to the fabric store to day to buy some fleece and saw a yard+ length of seersucker with stripes of the coolest colors and some silver metallic thrown in here and there. It was half price so naturally I had to buy it. HOpefully it will be enough for a summer top for me. (I'm an 18-20). Keep your fingers crossed.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  6:08:07 PM  Show Profile
I've been sewing myself some coordinated aprons and elastic-waisted tiered gathered skirts to wear after my little one is born. I figured that if I spend this time making some cheerful new comfy clothes, it'll be easier to get dressed and up with a newborn and a then 3-yr-old! Plus, at that point, I'm not sure that I'll be able to put together breakfast for a while, let alone a decent outfit! Nothing like being prepared...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  8:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Kathy, where in FL? I'm near Tampa!

I'm going to start on a bunch of sewing projects next week (Spring Break, so I'm off work for 9 days in a row!). I have a pattern and fabric (from my bridesmaids' dresses) for my daughter's Easter dress, and a capri/top outfit to finish up. I'm also going to make us some matching aprons, and I want to make both of us some prairie skirts. Along with that, I want to get some fabric to make a really easy purse I saw a picture of (or a couple, I need some new purses, and this looked so cute) and I need to make some curtains and throw pillows for both of my kids' rooms.

So much to do, so little time....since I work full-time!!! If only I had a sewing room or even a permanent corner where I could leave out "works in progress"!!! (I need to work on that next week also.)

Looking Toward the Son,
Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  9:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Awww Frannie,
I'm just soooo camera/computer challenged. I can TELL ya what I been a stitchin'. I finished up a make-do pin keep out of felted wool scraps. It has a little black crow perched on top with a basket to hold a thimble. I just cut out two more of those in homespun tonight. I also finished up my first "hookin" project. Took my first ever class last week. My how I DO love THIS kind of stitchin'! I made a lop-eared grey bunny-sort of a mat. I think I will attach him to the top of an aged hatbox. I finished a wool penny rug last week too. So many stitches...so little time. :)
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  10:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Your projects sound adorable Rhonda!!
I am working on so many things at once that it is ridiculous. Need to get busy and do all the finish work on them tomorrow.
Lets see..just finished my farmgirl chapter quilt square, added my stitching to the farmgirl traveling apron, and finished a doll for a special order. I have a clothespin apron nearly done, have been stitching up yo-yos like crazy, just finished some tea towels and a pillow and hanging tiny motto pillow to list on my online shop, and bought fabric to make my girls and little 3 year old granddaughter Easter dresses. That dosn't even count the projects half done here and there and all the aprons and potholders cut out and the clothespin bags I cut out and started today..I plan to stay home and stitch all day tomorrow...today I just wasn't home enough!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  04:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Add me to the list of too many projects started not enough time to finish, I need a 12 step program for that! lol With spring garden chores now I don't know when I'll get caugth up! I still have dollie to make ( sorry frannie) and baby quilts too!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  05:48:44 AM  Show Profile
sue .. i sure understand 'the list' of things we want to do ... move those dollies up a notch or two! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  06:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Katee, I'm the only Kathy in here and I'm in northern New York state where it might snow this week. I guess I better get back to work on that hat! I might need it before we go camping. Have a wonderful time sewing during spring break.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  10:11:11 PM  Show Profile
You girls are puttin' me to shame! Would you believe in all my sewing I have NEVER stitched a single yo-yo?! They are such sweet little things too! All this talk of yo-yo's is makin' my fingers itch to try some...
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  5:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Sorry Kathy, I read Brenda's post about coming to FL for a wedding and thought it was yours. My bad! LOL

Congrats on the new machine, I want a serger, then I'd make clothes to sell.

Looking Toward the Son,
Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
No problem! It sounds nice. It's 35 here and we had a little snow today. I could use some sunshine!!

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  05:02:09 AM  Show Profile
I've been sewing church vestments for our Pastor. Currently working on a green chasuable for the non-festival season.

My daughter and I also made Easter bonnets out of old straw hats. Here are some pics. We cut the tops off and and made a cut out in the back. Added some wire and duct tape binding around the edges and covered it with ribbon or fabric. These bonnets were inspired by the Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice movies, of which we are big fans.

Before: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/psouper/100_0730.jpg

During: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/psouper/100_0733.jpg

After:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/psouper/100_0739.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/psouper/100_0740.jpg

and this is the one I made, duponi silk trimmed with vintage crocheted lace:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/psouper/100_0743.jpg

Can we wear these to the grocery store?!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Heck yeah! Those are perdy enough to wear 24/7!

Go to Top of Page

Frankenblonde
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Courtland CA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  5:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Frankenblonde a Yahoo! Message
Patricia, the Vintage Bebe Couture sounds difficult to make but beautiful! And Kathy, I understand about the hesitation with the sewing machine…my husband bought a brand new machine for me last fall and I was afraid to turn it on! I’m a brand-new sewer, so I didn’t want to practice on the pretty fabric we bought because I didn’t want to mess it up. I finally found an ugly cotton print and played with that, and I also took a sewing class at our local shop. The class gave me the confidence and know-how to make a dress for myself, a draw-string bag, and a doll-sized quilt. Now my sewing machine and gadgets have taken over our dining room table! I’m currently working on a quilt for my toddler and loving it! I’ve also purchased a “Patchwork Notebook” (by Jinny Beyer) from JoAnn that is basically a journal/scrapbook for quilters. I love pasting swatches inside and making notes on my thoughts for each project.

Living in an 80-year-old house, I have many projects to keep me busy (plus 3 kids, a few animals and a hubby!), but my current passion is quilting. I'm hoping to make some curtains as my next project, that is, after I complete the redwork quilt square for MJF!

:) Tamara

“Always know in your heart that you are far bigger than anything that can happen to you.”
~ Dan Zadra, Chicken Soup for the Country Soul

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  6:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, thanks for the tip on the SImplicity pattern, I did a google search and I think it might actually work for the wedding! I like the sweetheart neckline, but maybe the ruffled sleeves, and the shorter length...

I am sure it would work for a funeral also, in the right fabric. It looks like it is a pretty versatile pattern... Do you know if it is for knits only? I might want a floral broadcloth...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what cha'll sewin' these days? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page