Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Allergic Reactions in infants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Allergic Reactions in infants Next Topic  

FaithfulchickWI
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Callie
Orfordville WI
20 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  11:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone had an infant with an allergic reaction... if so did you figure out what it was from?

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  12:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Callie,
My son has trouble with allergies all the time.
Usually, we start out by narrowing down anything new that he has been introduced to. Foods, plants, types of clothing, etc.
We slowly eliminate the new things introduced until the reaction lessens and we can pinpoint it.
Last year, he got bit by a spider and had an all over body rash reaction. No swelling anywhere, no change in breathing, and no fever which are the big ones I usually watch for. They mean a trip to the emergency room right away.
A rash on hands or mouth or hives will tell you its usually a food reaction.
Raised bumps that ooze or or look like pimples are more than likely some sort of contact allergy.
I'm no medical expert that's for sure, but my son has a ton of things he's had reactions too and its taken us some good chunks of time and a fair amount of observing him to figure out what has caused them. :) We did have to eventually take him to the pediatrician for some things as they were beyond our guesses and didn't clear up like we thought they should. Always the best idea to check with babys dr. :)
Oh, just as a side note, we finally found out that the reaction to the spider bite was because we found two small bite marks on his leg once the swelling let down some and a couple of days later found that the spider has come out of hiding from under his carseat. YIKES!!!

Like everything else, if you are really concerned please get in touch with your pediatrician. :)

Hope you find out what's going on!
hugs,
Jess

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile
My children are a little older than an infant, but I think the classic elimination diet is what might work. (if it's food).

I would switch to a non-perfumed laundry detergent (or make your own) and use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets (to further eliminate chemicals) for contact alergens.

Then when they're a little bigger make an apointment with an alergist if you haven't determined the alergen.

Good luck.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Allergic Reactions in infants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page