Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 How cold is too cold for babies?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic How cold is too cold for babies? Next Topic  

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  10:44:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

We're having a cold snap here in Vermont which has really got me down. Normally, I'd continue to walk right through it, just bundle up well and strap on my Yak Traks, but I have an 8-month old and I'm so scared he will get frost bitten or something.

Is there a temperature where it's safe as opposed to unsafe to venture out with a baby? I'm DESPERATE to get outside and noticed that he hasn't been sleeping as well the past two weeks--which is about how long it's been since we've walked outside. He and I both need fresh air.

Any other suggestions for keeping baby's face warm? He has a nice down snowsuit and blankets/mittens/booties but his little cheeks get so red when we come in from the cold. What are danger signs to look for as far as frostbite?

Thanks!

Your (desperate-to-walk) farmgirl friend,
-Joy

Visit me online! www.achickwithaconscience.blogspot.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  11:36:58 AM  Show Profile
They make baby ski masks, i don't know what sport shops are in your area, but you could try on line stores like "Sports Chalet".

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  3:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Babies are tougher than we are sometimes. I lived in Alaska for 8 years and learned that babies born in the winter there can take the cold with no problem....very very cold in the area I was in...average 20 below zero for 9 months out of the year. New moms would put them on their backs and walk outside in the severe weather. :=0
I would say just check to make sure he is not sweating....feel his back. For his face I'd start with of dry skin cream or vaseline. Redness can be dry skin that shows up in the cold or wind.You could also talk to your baby's doctor...or the nurses in the office because they are familiar with the weather there.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip about Sports Chalet, I will check it out. And thank you Linda. I tried a walk with him today in the backpack carrier--it was cold--around zero but the wind was blowing. We only went about 15 minutes. He started crying on the way back when a cold gust blew hard but I think he was just tired and ready for a nap anyway. He was all warm when I unbundled him afterwards, except his little cheeks which were cold. I never thought of a skin cream or vaseline--thanks for the idea! And yes, I should check w/ his doctor.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  7:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The general rule of thumb is that if you need layers, the baby needs that many (and similar warmth layers) plus one. So maybe double up his socks and and put an extra onsie on underneath. I took Nora out in the cold when she was about that old.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  08:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for all the information and suggestions, ladies. I appreciate it!

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic How cold is too cold for babies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page