Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  12:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You ladies are an inspiration! I really need to go through and de-clutter some of my closets and just analyze my wardrobe. I don't have a lot of clothes but I need to make sure I am not keeping clothes that I am not wearing.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  11:45:16 PM  Show Profile
I have changed size radically in the last two years...went from size 5 to size xxlarge and now I'm back to a size 10-12 again and still losing...silly Thyroid problem. I want to go through all of my clothes and just keep the things that I really love and that I actually wear. I am going to give the clothing to the battered womens shelter here in Moscow, or at least I hope to get off my duff and do it.

Annika
http://people.tribe.net/58d06a60-1cdd-4357-b4e3-bc523ed51ff5
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  7:06:38 PM  Show Profile
In my growing interest of eating locally/organically, I'm also (re)discovering that cooking/making staple items is very thrifty as well as healthier. Tomato paste, tomato sauces, breads, stocks, dried fruits and veggies, etc. can cost mere pennies! And if you enjoy being in the kitchen (like I do) it certainly doesn't feel like work or an unwanted expenditure of time and effort.

Same thing for sewing, knitting, making soaps-- this is all old news in the world of saving money, but it's still very exciting to be implementing it on my own and having a great time while doing so. :-)

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think living frugally is very freeing. I have been sharing green/homemade cleaning recipes with each other and as she said it is so great to go to the grocery store and just pass up the who cleaning aisle and we think "haha! We don't have to go down there" whenever we see people having to wheel their carts up and down that aisle.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  2:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Alee isn't that the truth? I think that all the time when I see people with carts full of processed food and mass market cleaners. I've been tempted to say 'where is the real food'. lol My kids keep asking me, when are we going to walmart mom?. And it makes me soooo happy and proud to say, I don't know, we don't need anything!!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  2:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Now this story isn't meant to be judgemental or anything, but when I was pregnant I was checking out at the grocery store and behind me was a woman who was the perfect description of a "Soccer Mom." She was dressed nicely in a tee-shirt and jeans and had a nice hair-do. I noticed her cart was full, but as I watched her loading up the belt I realized she was buying tons of "fluff" that was made to replace homemade meals.

She was buying pre-mixed orange juice, frozen waffles, pop-tarts, canned spaghetti sauce, all sorts of pre-prepared veggies and frozen meals, meals in a box, chocolate milk, and on and on and on. I was horrified to realize how much High Fructose Corn Syrup that that her kids must be consuming. Everything she was buying was modeled to mimic "real" food but was in a fast preparation form. Ick. It really doesn't take that long to cook pancakes or throw a pot roast in the crock pot. I know I get to stay home (Thank goodness) so I have a bit more time and I know how time gets away from people. But even growing up at my parent's house we always had a homecooked meal every night- and no boxed meals. I never ate hamburger helper until moving in with my husband (He was raised on the stuff and loves it...ick again). Anyway- My family has 6 people- 4 kids and 2 parents. And we were just as active as any family. So I know that if my parents can manage it- most any body can.

Here's to buying frugal and _real_ food for our families! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  8:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee isn't that the truth?
I admit, I do have some pre-packaged stuff on hand for the quick meal nights when we have dance lessons or school related stuff and I can't make stuff from scratch. For the most part we eat as much as we can from scratch/fresh and I work full time, and can barely boil water. My friend was lamenting the fact that she never has time for anything other than unthawing frozen (pre-made) meals or opening Tuna Helper.
I told my friend if I can do it, she can. She works pt, like 10-15 hours/week to get out of the house.

My Mom and I were discussing the "psuedo-food" phenomenon one night and she told me of one day when she was at the grocery store.
She saw this severeley obese young woman waddling down the aisle with her two chubby kids in tow. Their cart was almost brimming over, with junk. Chips, pudding cups, hamburger helper (I agree, yuck!) and the like.
Mom said she felt sad because there wasn't a fresh fruit or veggie in the cart. Not even a sack of potatoes.
A few minutes later, she saw them again at the check out, and this woman whipped out a food stamp card.
Then Mom felt really sad because she wasted all her grocery money on crap, when she could have stretched it further with fresher real foods. And chances are they wouldn't be so overweight.

I don't make my own cleaners, I do buy Method or Ecover, but everything is so concentrated, that I don't have to go down that aisle very often.
It is a good feeling that when I do, at least the cleaners are eco friendly and won't kill me if I use them.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  9:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I don't want to sound like an advertisement or anything- but for those nights where you just don't have time, have you tried MaryJane's food? It really is good, and good for you too! And it is affordable, especially if you buy it in the bulk quantities. We buy Thai Fusion and Budget Mix in bulk because those are our favorites, but we are going to start stocking up on some of the other flavors as well. Literally all you have to do is boil water and walk away to cook her foods. *yum* In fact even though I feel like crud right now (sinus infection) I made some biscuits from the budget mix this morning.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  9:12:15 PM  Show Profile
I will have to look into it and see.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile
At my store I see the opposite - "trophy wives" with the cart full of pre-packaged food and no fruits or veggies to speak of, but it's their kids who are over weight. I wonder why they are so obsessed with their own appearence, but not their kids.

I have thought for a long time that part of the problem is women don't know how to cook. It's sooo passe to have Home-Ec in school because all our kids are suppose to be corp executives. When I volunteered at a local food bank years ago I could rarely talk a client into taking a 5 pound bag of rice over 1 box of Rice-a-Roni. Mainly because they didn't know what to do with the rice.

As a working mom, I rely on my crock pot, especially during volleyball season. It is so easy, but when I make that suggestion to my friends who are complaining about no time to fix dinner and how much they spend on take-out I get this long disertation on why crock pots won't work for them.

I have to chuckle when kids comment on the lack of "food" in my basket at the store (mostly produce and dairy). When I tell them I'm going to make dinner they look confused because there are no boxes. Wonder if their moms were listening.

And, unfortunately most of society is perpetuating the problem to the next generation. I work for a youth org that offers afterschool programs. We serve snacks, but everything is processed. When I suggested that we give the kids celery & peanut butter or apple slices with a cream cheese dip, healthier alternatives, they said it was too messy and hard to fix. (I guess it takes a genius to slice an apply or a stalk of celery) "Besides all the snacks we serve are on the Cal Dept of Ed healthy snack list." CA schools can't even serve a decent lunch - who are they to determine what a healthy snack is?

Did you know that chocolate pudding comes in a 5 pound bucket? I didn't until I came to work here.

I'm dreading Halloween because the kids are allowed to bring their candy with them and eat that as a snack.

As for food stamps, I think they should be item specific ie: dairy, produce, dried beans/rice, meat, etc. The govt shouldn't be paying for recipients to be unhealthy and then turn around and pay the medical expenses as well.

I better stop now before I really go on a rampage.

Great thread though girls.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I think the gov't is a big part of the reason we have gone to pot, so to speak, in eating habits as a society. When I was in school you had to take home ec or typing. I'm thinking there is no emphasis on home ec today. And yall are right, the mom's who are fixing all of the processed foods are teaching that to the next generation. The food stamp program is a joke. When i first got separated I did it for about 6 months. I finally quit as I did not like the choices given and it was a waste of my time. I also think the gov't food pyramid is seriously off. I hate the way that alot of women today look down upon being a wife/homemaker/mother. When I did get to stay home for a few short years, at times I felt of not as much worth because I didn't have a job outside the home. That is just plain wrong! I love to read Mary Jane's Ideabook and the stories she tells about her mother and family and the community life they had with their neighbors. That is exactly what we need today!

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  09:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree Sarah- We need more loving and caring in this world- not less. I don't think there is anything wrong with women going to work or staying home. I am so proud of the fact that our generation has the right to choose what life they want for themselves. I know some women have to work... my mom did, but she says she always regretted having to go back to work. So I guess I can see both sides of the stories.

I too had to be on food stamps once, but I didn't mind it. I think there is a lot of social stigma about being on assistance. Yes, it is wonderful and always better to stand on your own two feet, but if you really need the help and if you aren't trying to abuse the system- I think people should not have to go through the mental anguish it can cause to ask for help.

Anyway when I was on food stamps, it could be used for any "Food Item" that was not alcohol or to be used for animal feed. So I could have bought healthy food or junk food. In fact a lot of gas stations accept the food stamps- so what does that tell you about what kind of food is being bought! Ick!!

I think a lot of people today don't know how to cook fresh, which is sad. So many people don't know what real food tastes like.

I used to be able to eat whatever junk was around- fresh, not fresh, it was all food- so why would I care? Right? WRONG!

I have been making a huge effort to eat healthy and I accidently grabbed the wrong yogurt last time at the store. It tried to make myself eat it, but I could taste all the nasty fillers that were in it. It felt like it was coating my tongue! GROSS! So I read the label...yup! Evil nasty High Fructose Corn Syrup. And ARTIFICAL vanilla flavoring! No wonder it tasted like chemicals. I still haven't touched it since. I can't bring myself to eat it or to throw it away. I am hoping it goes moldy soon so I feel justified in throwing it away- but with all the preservatives in it- it will probably out last me!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Watching what other people put in their carts at the big-box grocery store makes me sad and angry. And I feel the worst for the children, because they only know what their parents are teaching them. That's why I like shopping at the farmer's markets and the independent natural grocery stores. It makes healthy choices easier, and my money is going to independent business people and farmers-- where it should be.

I find it so disheartening to see individuals on government assistance filling themselves up with junk. When I was a child, my single-parent mother couldn't work for a large part of my childhood due to health issues, so we were on government assistance (back then it was the highly stigmatized paper food stamps), but we never got junk. My mother never wanted the help, but she had two daughters to feed, so there was no choice. So she was very responsible and frugal with her shopping-- fresh veggies and fruits, dried beans, pastas, meats on sale (we ate a lot of chicken), and ingredients to do baking and cooking from scratch. The few times we had prepackaged things, like Hostess cakes, there were occassional treats. But we always preferred her home-baked cakes and cookies anyway. And we didn't eat poorly-- my mother was excellent with casseroles, soups and stews and crockpot dinners. And we only ever got candy on holidays. The one regular "splurge" we did have in our household was ONE twelve-pack of soda per week, but once those twelve cans were gone (four a piece) that was it for the week.

I find it much more gratifying to cook for myself and my husband-- the dollars go further, but the meals are so much healthier too. And cooking together is quality-time that we spend together, as we both enjoy it. And most of the time, we sit down at the table together to eat, even if we're only having a quick meal like eggs and bacon or pasta.

Some of my favorite budget dinners are tuna casserole, pasta with marinara sauce, breaded chicken with baked potatoes and a fresh vegetable (we like broccoli the best), crockpot pot roast, "breakfast night"-- scrambled eggs and bacon with biscuits or pancakes, 15 bean stew, chicken and dumplings, baked rice, etc.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Talk of buying hostess cakes as a treat reminds me of a story someone told me that I used to work with. She was older than me she grew up in the country in a family with alot of kids, I'm thinking 10 or more and they didn't have alot of money. They always ate what they grew from meat to veggies to home canned goods. She said on eithter Thanksgiving or Christmas ( I can't remember which, but a holiday) they would have store bought bologna, chips and what not as that was a treat for them. I think it ironic today that those kinds of foods are the staple in many homes.

It's all about the choices we make. I heard someone once say that their mother always said if you were too busy to go to church then you were just plain too busy. I think the same goes for cooking healthy. Sometimes the most important factor is just a little planning.

I boiled some different kinds of dried beans this morning and let them soak all day while I was sleeping. I'm going to throw together some bean chili in a crock pot before I leave for work and cook it there. Gotta love crock pots! I think it's great all of the ideas for being thrifty that we are throwing out here.

Alee, have you ever tried making your own yogurt? It's very simple and easy. I use a recipe that you just set it on a heating pad on low for about 8 hours. It's pretty good. My lil 3.5 yr old loves his 'ogurt'. lol

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sarah-

No I haven't tried making my own yogurt yet. I plan to start when I have some other things in my life a bit more organized. Until then I buy the huge containers of Brown Cow yogurt. It is very good and I can pronounce everything in the ingredient list! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  10:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Interesting tidbit.

A few weeks ago I heard on the radio that a survey conducted (by whom I don't remember) revealed that 80% of women would rather stay home if given the chance. But, they can't afford to quit their job because the household needs two paychecks.

I thought that was interesting. I loved being a stay at home mom. And, all my single mom friends and I feel we are cheating our kids in some ways by working. I know some people say it's better for the kids that mom works because they grow up independent. I prefer DD grow up right, capable, secure as well as independent.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  11:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I don't think that everyone needs to incomes to live. As my dad always says, you have to get your wants and your needs straight. When you break down all the costs of working such as special clothing, vehicle use/maintenance, food etc it's amazing how little the second income actually pays. I had big issues with guilt when i had to go back to work fulltime as a single mom. Children grow so quickly and i believe it's one of our greatest responsibilities to care for them. Being thrifty and resourceful naturally plays into all of that. I so admire the generation that lived through the great depression as they were so very knowledgeble on being thrifty, reusing and using what they had.

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  07:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to share this as we have been talking about the food choices people are making. In the St.Louis Post Dispatch Sunday paper there was an extra insert about green living. Inside that there was an article about one of the latest movements....slow food. I thought to myself, what is that? Slow food is the opposite of the fast food joints. They are saying to make at least one home cooked meal a week and have your family eat it with the tv turned off. It's all about not chosing the fast food mass market and choosing whole, organic foods that need to be cooked at home. I think it is a great idea, I had not heard of the slow food movement until I read the article. I guess it seems a little funny to me as this is how we eat all the time. lol I would imagine things are different in the city though. At least the ball is starting to roll about making postivie, healthy, sustainable food choices! Yea!!!!

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  07:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
As my husbands plant closed this past September(he has been there 8 years), we had to look seriously at how we are going to feed a family of 6 during this long winter. We were told that the plant will not reopen until May and we will be living on a small budget all winter. The trick is going to be how to continue to eat as healthy as possible with only a small amount of money for groceries. So I am thinking about what the menu should be and how much can I buy ahead of time to be prepared when the savings get low this winter. Maybe you all could help. I want to try and plan a menu- and would love to include as much from MaryJanesFarm bulk food. My kids love so many of her items from the budget mix (thinking this will be a staple) to the outrageous oatmeal, chilli mac etc. If I can buy ahead with that and then I would only need to purchase the fresh items during the winter monthes when things are going to be the toughest. I would love to hear some suggestions or recipes with her products in them. Anyone have recipes???Ideas????

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Beth-

I would suggest getting the Farm Kitchen issue of the magazine. She put tons of great recipes in there.

I really like making a shepherds pie with the crust being her budget mix. I take stew meat (usually the cheapest at our grocer) and brown it, cube some potatoe, slice onions and carrots and celary. I throw the veggies in with the meat and let them cook for about 10 minutes. I usually don't put any seasoning in, but you could do salt and peppper if you like. I put that in a casserole dish and cover with the dough. Since the meat and veggies are already cooked or mostly so, then all that needs to happen is the dough needs to cook.

Also, eating healthy fresh food is often cheaper than those pre-packaged meals.

I would also recommed buying the biggest sack of flour, sugar and other such staples that you can. Stock up on yeast and such which can be put in the freezer.

Good luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Beth,

One thought I had, and I know every part of the country is different, but I am able to purchase meat at a huge discount from our "Reduced for Quick Sale" section of the meat dept. By law meat is only allowed to be in a store for a certain amount of time (watch the sell by date). Afterwards it must be pulled. The store would rather make something than nothing so they discount it heavily to move it out before it has to be disposed of. Ask your meat manager if they have such a policy. If not ask if they would be willing to discount meat before they have to pull it.

I am always able to find great deals and I just repackage to fit my family's needs and then freeze. A few weeks ago I found a Family Pack of pork chops (10-12 chops) for about $3.00.

I also try to extend meals with hearty veggies that are inexpensive this time of year, like sweet potatoes/yams and squash. I cube them into stews or saute them as a side. Dried beans can be used in many dishes as well. And, any amount of meat and veggies can be made into a filling soup with rice, barley or beans.

If you take stock of what you have in your pantry and let us know we may be able to give you recipe suggestions using what you have.

Also, check the MJF Kitchen thread. Someone was asking for recipes for a large family and a lot of us posted so you may find things that your family will enjoy.

Keep us posted. We've all been in your position before and there is a wealth of info and expereinces on this forum to help you. And we're happy to do it.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Alee- good idea. I will dig it out. I just figured out that if I buy the bulk size Budget Mix I get 260 servings at only 22 cents a serving. And the things I can do with that are awesome. That is the first thing on my list. That and the black bean humus-- my FAV!

The staples of flour sugar etc... yes a must have. I love to bake so I always have a big supply of this. My favorite is my seasoned wheat bread. I make it at least once a week.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:13:00 AM  Show Profile
Cool thread...

I just wrote a post on how I survive two major carnivores (hubs and 15 year old kiddo) without totally going broke on my blog...

http://nashbabe.blogspot.com/2007/10/feeding-dudes-meat-without-going.html

some of it is buying meat, and some of it is being sneakily healthy *L*

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am on a list to buy a half a cow from a farmer down the road- all grass fed and hormone free. Comes to around 3.49 a pound. It should stock my freezer meat wise for a long time. Do any of you do a weekly menu. Like tonight is Spaghetti night, tomorrow- Taco Tuesday and I try to use more beans and less meat for this. Wednesday is one pot dinners/bake overs, Fridays are always homemade pizza and our newest is Kids Night on Saturday. This night the kids will plan,cook and serve US a meal! They can dig into my recipe books, make it a pot luck with leftovers or whatever they want. The deal is- you can't phone for dinner (no pizza delivery or fast food) and they have to include all the kids in the preparation - daughter 18, sons 17,11,5.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  12:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One of the biggest thrifty living changes for my husband was getting him used to using rags and re-usable towelettes instead of using paper towels all the time.

I also can spend a morning each month and do "mixes" like muffins and such and put these in mason jars. This way if Doug wants to make breakfast- or if I am in a hurry- everything is already all measured out and I am not so tempted to buy a mix from the store. Sure... they might be cheap- but why pay $1.25 per mix when they really only cost about $.15 to make even when taking into account my time!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up: Previous Topic THRIFTY LIVING Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page