Page: of 7

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  3:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I will not enter a store for anything except groceries between Thanksgiving and Christmas...it is nuts! I hate crowds and not going into the stores keeps me from spending money on all those "neto" items they only put out durring the holidays. Now my mom and I do spend a good bit of time shopping in January as everything is deep discount then, but not this year...hubby and I are going to do the not spending thing.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, it's a new year and a great time to get back on track (if like me you've gotten off it) with making Old Abe cry...aka penny pinching. What are you going to save more money this year than you did last year?

1. I've found a new, cheaper source for organic whole wheat and rye flour.
2. Quit drinking coffee (2 pots a day, expensive organic) and switched to tea. I still use expensive organic, but not everyday and I have discovered that one bag of good quality tea will make atleast 2 cups of tea. I also use plain organic peppermint and spearmint grown just outside my kitchen door...the plants were given to me so it is truley a free beverage.
3. Grow sprouts instead of buying greens. I can grow an organic sprout salad for less than 50 cents compaired to buying the ingredients for green salad at upwards of 3 dollars. Early this winter I grew a nice greens garden in the window, but failed to plant more when it was all consumed. Also, the sprouts are more nutritionaly rich.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I love this topic. I am a thrift store junkie. Can't drive buy a Goodwill or St. Vinnies without stopping and of course buying and then hiding in my trunk until DH isn't around to unload and hide in the house. It's an addiction. But just last week I found a new $350 purse for $2.38. I like Jennifer's idea of giving up shopping for Lent. I always giving up sweets or wine but I think this year it will be the thrift stores and shopping except for groceries. I would love to give that one up too. I hate grocery shopping to bad there is not a thrift store for that.

3 Blue Start Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  1:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Give up thrift stores???? Say it isn't so! It is an addiction and I have it! I DID manage to drive by one yesterday because I thought to myself, "Really Cindy, what do you NEED in there!" Now I know, need and want are two differnt things and I don't really NEED anything at this point. But it sure is fun!!
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  1:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I am learning SO much from this particular thread. I, too, have made a decision to boycott WalMart, for several reasons. The first, of course, is that I spend way to much on stuff I don't need when I go in there. And yet, today I did have to go in and found 5 skiens of $5.00 yarn for 1.00 each, and a pair of boys jeans we needed for $5.00. So, I am always torn. But not very disciplined sometimes. The second reason is that I read a book called Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreigh. The book was very interesting, but what struck me was the facts and comments she presented about WalMart and how they treat their workers. It seems to be a sad state of affairs. So, do I opt for convenience when I know everything I need is in that one store, or do a possibly pay a bit more and go to stores and shops that I know are locally owned? On a tight budget, it is hard to justify that, but I also have to remind myself that I always pick up more than I need from WalMart.

The topic of frugality on this thread is like a valuable book that should be published .

Val
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile
I understand the WalMart issue, but being on a very tight budget (haven't found a job yet) and being self-supporting I have to do the best I can with my money. Unfortunatly that usually means turning to WalMart. I bought a cute rug there today for my bathroom for $2. I just can't find those prices anywhere else. I wish they had better competition out there.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  7:19:03 PM  Show Profile
I know I know, you'll gasp at me for saying this, but I like walmart. Now it is not my absolute favorite store, but they so have the best deals. I like the walmart here in Pueblo west, about 50 miles from me. There are so many walmarts that I find to be so trashy! But that one is really nice.
One of the girls was saying they read a book about walmart and how they treat their employees bad. I dont work there so would never know, but I had a neighbor that works there and has for many years. Now if they treated them as bad as the book says I know she wouldnt be there. Anyway, I personally dont know, and if we knew everything about every business, we would never shop anywhere or buy anything. We cant trust everything. So I do whats best for my family in saving money.
Ok well I gotta get. Happy Thrifting!
lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  06:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I used to work at Walmart. These days I try to shop as much as possible from other stores to help break the monopoly. Our local walmart ran out two other discount stores. When I worked there part of my job was to sneak into other stores and write down their prices so that walmart could undercut their competitors. I didn't care for that at all. I am all for supporting independently owned businesses and 'mom and pop' operations. Our awesome country was founded on those and we are so out of touch from that. Seems like the small people are getting swallowed up fast in giant corporations.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  08:15:33 AM  Show Profile
After all I have read and heard about WalMart, I will never step foot in there. I have only been in there less than a handful of times, but they are dirty, disorganized and the quality was very poor! After reading up on it, my conscience will never allow me in there. If we don't stick up for our principles, who will? Anyway, even in my poorest days I never went in there and I got by. You do what you have to do!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
In deffence of Walmart, they are not all dirty. Ours is rather nice and I do occasionaly sneak into their dollar a yard fabric table to replenish my stash. I can thrift most of my fabric, but when it comes to needing 9 yards to make matching dresses for me and the girls it is the only place I can afford.

'
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  6:48:18 PM  Show Profile
On the Thrifty Living/Voluntary Simplicity Subject:

love this:

As Thoreau said, "Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify."

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  06:39:42 AM  Show Profile
I have not bought any clothing other then sport's equipment type stuff...ie hiking boots and cycling cleats in almost 3 years ...will be three in Aug. It occurred to me many years back that I have enough clothes that I could go without buying a thing for the rest of my life! One day I was "harrassing" my daughter who was then 16 about how shopping for outfits was just a recreational activity for she and her friends and just "how many tops could one own?" It was then that I bet her I could go a year without buying a stitch of clothing...then I just kept going. I have to fess up though I get bags of my daughters stuff when her closets get too full!!! AND boy... after 3 years do I ever need bra's and undies...guess I will have to break the bank for those!!!

"So many interests so little time!"

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  07:28:01 AM  Show Profile
I just ran across this topic and love to get frugal tips! Some things that I do are: buy almost all my clothes at garage sales, consignment shops, and thrift stores. I never buy new unless it is underwear or something that I just was not able to find at any of the other places (usually things like socks). We spend about $100-$150 a year on our clothing and that is for a family of four, plus I have a yearly garage sale and sell the outgrown clothing and usually make all the money back.
We keep our heat set at 64 during the day and around 59 at night. It can get chilly but we layer our clothing. I can't stand when I hear people complaining about the high heating costs during winter only to find that they keep it 68 or above and wear a t-shirt around the house! I understand that those with wood stoves are able to have really warm houses but in order to afford our bills we have to have ours set low. We only use our window air conditioner when it is terribly hot outside, which is a few days or so each summer.
We have no cable, the only cell phone we have is a free one that I got for testing it and rarely use it, no fancy new gadjets. Our washing machine has passed through three families and is 20+ years old and now only the cold water works on it, but we only use cold water for washing laundry anyway and use the clothesline for drying as much as possible. I use cloth diapers on my toddler and breastfed them until they were over a year old (my son just weaned and he is 23 months old). We go to used book sales for all our books and then trade them on www.paperbackswap.com when we are finished. I have two overflowing bookshelves with thousands of dollars worth of books for 1/20th of that price!
I also use coupons and rebates. Did you know that at stores such as Walgreens and CVS and Rite Aid there are free after rebate items each month? You can get toothpaste, toothbrushes, pads, shampoo, and more for free every month! I usually get at least $20 worth of items free but sometimes it can be up to $50 and I only have a Walgreens 40 miles away. Imagine if you had all three stores nearby! I stock up when I find a good coupon (you can get them from www.thecouponclippers.com ) and then purchase as many as possible and store it away. I get much of my stockpiles for only tax and always combine coupons with sales. I have 10+ bottles of shampoo, 10+ packages of pads, 30 bars of soap, 15 boxes of dishwasher tablets, 30 bags of cat food, and more all FREE with coupons! I haven't had to pay for a bottle of shampoo or a package of pads in over three years. If any of you have questions about couponing I would be glad to answer any questions. THis hobby allows my family to be stocked in supplies that we otherwise wouldn't always be able to afford or be strapped for cash after buying it all.
Those are my thrifty tips for now.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  07:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Good girl Elizabeth, sounds like you have it down to a science! Good advice about the coupons.

I used to coupon a lot when I had kids at home and I believe it helped. Now that they are gone and it's just the two of us, and we have changed the way we eat and live, we don't use many anymore.

I love living a frugal lifestyle and have come to realize that it isn't about money as much as it's about not having to WORRY about money! I have never understood buying anything just for the sake of OWNING it. I'd much rather borrow a book from the library and return it knowing that I don't have to find a place to store it!

I just want to live a simple life without "stuff" weighting me down, and my goal is to have both of us work less and enjoy more and if that means cutting back, that's OK with me!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile
I just can across this forum and WOW! Wish I had checked into this a long time ago. I am so getting that book. Right now my hubby and I are still trying to get out 9-1/2 acres of land going and have had to purchase a lot of "farm" equipment. But I do shop the only thrift store we have in our little town as well as another one a few miles away and have done a lot of my decorating with the treasures I find. We are trying our best at reusing, NOT using plastic for anything, cutting down on paper towel useage and going with reusable towels for cleaning, etc. Think once we get this place up and running we'll be able to cut our "consumtion" down quite a bit. Will check out our local library (thankgoodness we have one) for the book or Walmart like the rest of you where it'll be cheaper. I'm also getting back into "making" various things for gifts as well, which I love doing and everyone loves getting the handmade items - they just mean more because they were made just for them and a lot of thought and love went into each item.

Peace and love to you all.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  1:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Somethings we do to "save and live simply" , this year we started a garden : tomatos, potatoes,peppers,starwberries. I do sometime buy in bulk at walmart (hiding my head in shame).Also we dont have cable, only the 10 channels with the bunny ears, cell phone, and dial up. When we moved here we paid about 1700.00 in rent and exsess bills that we totally didnt need, now we put out about 1000.00 a month for a country house , with FAR less things than we had in the city. And it is FINE by me I love it and dont want cable you can only watch 1 channel at a time so why have 300? Ya know? I will admit I have way too much stuff and hope to get down to the bare roots this summer..

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  1:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We live pretty thriftily at our house as well. We have a great grocery store here in town called Winco. They try to keep their prices really low. We also have a Costco membership to stock up on things like toilet paper. I would love to get together with some other families to purchase butchered animals. Since we don't have a deep freeze, we would have to rent locker space.

We also use cloth diapers for our baby and I sewed them myself instead of buying pre-sewn ones. It has saved us so much money. We were going through a package and a half a week before we switched to 100% cloth.

I have a huge garden in this year and am planning at the very least, canning and putting up as many tomatoes as possible.

Lets keep the tips coming! I always love learning more ways to be thrifty!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  6:21:19 PM  Show Profile
After reading all the hits on this subject I went to the local library and found three books on the subject: "Frugal Families" by Jonni McCoy, Reader's Digest "Back to Basics" and "The Cheapskate's Guide to Living Cheaper and Better" by Leslie Hamilton. Have read the latter and had some good tips (going to scan some of the pages for my own reference). The library is getting "Don't Buy It" book for me from another libary and I can't wait to read it. Going to start checking out some web-sites as well. I am so getting into this. Going to make my own laundry soap - got all but the A&H Washing Soda and called all over the place to see who had it. Guess what? My last call, which was to Wallmart, had it. Otherwise none of the hardware or bigger grocery stores had it at all. Haven't been in a Wallmart for over a year but will make an exception to get the washing soda I need. Just had to share.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  06:18:26 AM  Show Profile
I like Walmart. I don't buy clothes there because I only buy used clothing. We have a huge garden this year. My Amish neighbors bring us all the strawberries we can handle and I have frozen many quarts of them for the winter. My daughter just gave me a perm and then she trimmed the ends of my hair. The lights aren't on if they're not being used. The laundry is always hung outside on the lines....all the time. I buy groceries, personal care items in bulk. And, I can get a lot of things for practically nothing at CVS with my card! I bought material at Walmart and made kitchen curtains out of it. Ten yards @ $2.00 a yard! It's Homespun....burgundy....and everyone thinks I bought them! When the shampoo and conditioner bottles are half empty (or half full) I add water to them to stretch them even further. Same thing with dish soap. It's a very rare event for us to go to the mall.....the prices give me such a headache! There's no place like the thrift store, Goodwill, and Salvation Army store for me! Right now I'm looking for a sewing table. Wish me luck! And keep thrifting! Susan
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Doing things on shares with others has been something I've been thinking about lately. For example, splitting a CSA vegetable share with another neighbor, or buying in bulk with others. It saves money, shipping/transportation costs, and you know you won't buy more than you need and end up throwing it out. This can be done very informally, or you can start you own buying club or group. I think this type of thing also promotoes neighborliness and community, which are important things to invest in. For example, a single person or an eldery couple might not use enough produce every week to justify buying a whole vegetable share, but by splitting it with a neighbor everyone gets fresh veggies and saves money while none goes to waste. And you get to talk to your neighbors!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  12:58:00 PM  Show Profile
I recently did something with my closet that was very liberating. I had read in a book that the French do not have large wardrobes just very good clothing that fits well. How often have we acquired "a bargain" and then not love it as much as we thought we would? Well I went through and made outfits of what I had and started to weed out the odd piece that just never looked or fit right, shoes that weren't comfy and any purses or jewelry I hadn't used in the last two years (family treasures were exempt!) What I ended up with was a closet of comfy, casual clothes that fit and were for the large part able to pair up in many combos. No more digging past the stuff "I never wear" to find those black capris that fit so well! I don't have a need for many "dress up" clothes these days so I was able to
eliminate a whole category! Less is more when you know and like what you have! I had a yard sale not long after and just put the pile on a card table and that was some of the first stuff to disappear. Since I shop the thrift most of the time I probably made back what I had spent if not more! I know a few purses went for more than I paid!
Purge the past and make room for the here and now! It is very liberating and also you are much more organized so if you do NEED something it is much more obvious what it is. My discovery was that I needed to sew a few sundresses because I wear them and had worn a few out last summer.
Point # 2: One of these dresses I just loved and could not find a pattern similar in any way so I cut my beloved dress apart and made a pattern! (It already had a big hole and rip from getting caught in the gate). I also did it with a pair of very cute capris I got paint on. Both "new items" fit like the old and for that I am most grateful!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Good girl! I am proud of you! I truly believe that cleaning out and giving away is the best medicine around. There is NOTHING like opening a closet and being able to find just what you were looking for! I also feel great about letting someone else have things I'm not using. That is just the way it should be, right?

I am one of those that thinks less is more and my cabinets are proof of that. I just feel better with less "stuff" weighing me down.

Besides, you will have SOOOO much fun making a couple of cute sundresses for yourself.....what a treat! Enjoy, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:46:04 PM  Show Profile
I love the freedom of getting rid of stuff! I do it all the time. I always have a trunk full of Goodwill, consignment, and the rest goes to trash. I try to keep our closets free of unused stuff. I learned that lesson early, when I was 24. I was divorced young, living alone, and I got rid of everything but my bed, 2 wicker chairs, my books, plants, and my dog. I also had a small table and two chairs in the little kitchen. With these things I lived in a garage apartment, lined with cedar, and for the first time felt the freedom of not having stuff. Stuff will really begin to own you! Now, I continue to clean out, sell, givre away, and pare down. It gives me a great sense of freedom.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  4:59:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Well I went through and made outfits of what I had and started to weed out the odd piece that just never looked or fit right, shoes that weren't comfy and any purses or jewelry I hadn't used in the last two years (family treasures were exempt!)

For purses or jewelry that are heirlooms (but that aren't your taste to wear, or you don't wear very often) you can display them in your bedroom instead of putting them away in a closet somewhere. You can frame smaller items in shadow boxes, or get a vintage jewelry tree or wire manequin to display larger items and clothing pieces.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  10:03:52 PM  Show Profile
I too have cleaned out my closets of the "stuff" that I can't wear any more or have never worn. there are a couple of places in our small town that takes in clothing for re-sale and I fell good that maybe someone else will get some good out of them. I even got my husband to part with the things that he could no longer wear but was still keeping for some reason. We no longer have the room any more for all his stuff anyway. It really does feel good to get rid of the unused things and clean out closets and cupboards, etc. While my DH is gone I'm cleaning out even more. He's the pack rat and I'm not. The web-sites I've visited on being frugel have paid off - I'm getting inspired to do more and spend less. Sew more and not buy more. Make gifts and not buy them. Make bread instead of buying it from the store. I'm even making my own laundry detergent and looking for more. Who knew that being frugal could be so much fun!

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up: Previous Topic THRIFTY LIVING Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page