tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  08:16:19 AM  Show Profile
WOW, you all have such amazing thrifty meal ideas, I totally bomb when going grocery shopping, for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to be thrifty in that area. I spend more money on groceries, (we eat at home mostly) than any other thing all month. I try and try to cut costs but end up with nothing to make. I just don't have a great imagination when it comes to the kitchen. I work fulltime so in the evenings I want to make a quick meal, a meat, starch and vegetable..but some how I can't get all that within a decent budget and there is only TWO of us.

I think I am going to purchase MJ kitchen mag as suggested, that may give me some help on getting more creative with cheaper ingredients.

DH received a $50 gift card to the local Butcher House, so that was a blessing, we can stock up on some meat as that is my biggest expense at the store.

Otherwise, I just don't know how to be thrifty at the grocery store, I do look for specials, try to buy only what's on sale but I can still spend $100 before I know it.

Thanks for your tips, I need to go back and read ALL the pages of this thread...

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  9:35:13 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, there are tons of resources out there online or at your local library/bookstore.

I just dusted off my copy of Amy Dacyczyn's the Tightwad Gazette.

I forgot how funny she is. Very practical too. I never realized how "green" she is too. Back before it was the "IN" thing to do, like it is now.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  03:40:44 AM  Show Profile
Check out Hillbilly Housewife:

$45 Emergency Menu for 4 to 6, http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

$70 Low Cost Menu for 4 to 6, http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm

Recipes, http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm

Frugal Holiday Recipes, http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/holidayrecipes.htm

Disclaimer: I have not read this whole thread, I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kissmekate

Michelle, there are tons of resources out there online or at your local library/bookstore.

I just dusted off my copy of Amy Dacyczyn's the Tightwad Gazette.

I forgot how funny she is. Very practical too. I never realized how "green" she is too. Back before it was the "IN" thing to do, like it is now.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Thank you, I will look for that book!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Well, see this is something I totally 100% struggle with. I LOVE TO SHOP! BUT at the same time I love simple used things or handmade. I just adore living simply I'm happier, I shop when I feel hollow Make sense? I feel whole when I put my energy into LIVING truly. I just need like guidance and support.

Actually there is a book that our preacher included in a sermon about how my generation and the next are all totally into convenience and communicating from home and computers. We are losing the in touch feeling. Sad to say the ONLY place in my lil town at night is the bar to socialize. As much as I hate this I do it to GET OUT and socialize. I would love to open my basement or a place to socialize with byob or dry. It's so true we are losing touch because of how life is "convenient" now but look at how much unhappiness, drug use, depression, mental issues america has? When the amish are asked how satisfied they are with their life they say very and don't want more. Interesting huh?

I always imagine my wedding, I used to want traditional now I want small intimate meaningful and homemade without going into debt!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
One year for Christmas wrap, I took brown paper sacks and opened them up @ the seams to use the inside surface. Then, I took paper Christmas stencils (the kind that come in a packet for use with spray flocking on the windows) and though it was a bit time consuming, I colored in the stencils w/Christmas appropriate colors and then used the paper to wrap gifts for children. Big hit! I've also used the funny papers to wrap, then cut strips of the papers for zippy bows, they curl similar to zip ribbon. Fun for me, fun for recipient.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I really really want to go totally organic but $ is the issue....any help, i'm looking on the web about it all

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  6:06:59 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention on my previous post that I have learned a lot and read Ellie Kay's books as well.
You should be able to find them in your local libraries.

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  6:13:47 PM  Show Profile
Bridget, can you grow a portion of your own food? That's an affordable way to go organic. Also look into CSA's, farmer's markets and food co-ops.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  09:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nashbabe. I just read your post about shopping for meat for the men in your family. You stated that you don't buy chicken quarters no matter how cheap they are. I have learned alot from this forum and would like to know why you don't buy them.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  2:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a thread. I am feeling bombarded, but in a good way. So many tips, hints and good ideas. For several years I have been craving simplicity and contentment. I, too, have more clothing than I can wear and have been weeding it out slowly, thanks to FLYLady and my daughter. I want to not buy new things yet when I get emotional, ie angry, hungry, happy, I want to buy something. This year I am trying to not buy anything I don't need. I did pretty good during January and was amazed at my bank balance. So I fell off the wagon badly in February and am climbing back on in March.

I have limited my clothing purchases to white, burgundy or chocolate shirts or combination thereof with jeans or taupe colored jeans. That makes it easy in the morning.

I notice that the last post here was three years ago. What are you all doing now that may be an improvement on or different from your earlier posts?

You all are very educational and I enjoy and appreciate your experiences. Thank you.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  8:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! For my Lenten promise, I decided to give up buying things unless it was for charity, a gift, or an absolute neccessity. I have found it very liberating to try and do with what I have. I have made new outfits, I have been going to my library more often, and I am trying to come up with new craft projects I can do. I will keep you ladies posted on how I do.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

haydemon
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Monica
Covington GA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:46:26 PM  Show Profile
"Give me the Simple Life." That's my motto. I try to live by these words as much as possible, shunning consumerism--especially at Xmas-time--and every other opportunity that marketers have made up to entice us to BUY, BUY, BUY! (i.e., Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Friendship Day, and every other imaginable *** Day out there!). My kids are also very much in tune with this philosophy, living very frugal lives as well. We don't do without, nor take the concept to the extreme; however, we try to be conscious about what and where we shop, favoring local whenever possible. I know companies need to make money and the economy must grow, yada-yada-yada; however, there HAS to be a better way to live other than consuming endlessly.

Save our Main Streets!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:40:33 PM  Show Profile
It does seem that every year there is some new holiday that requires us to buy something, whether it be a card or a fancy gift. I wouldn't mind it so much if there weren't commercials advertising every single ***day. Whatever happened to a nice, homemade card? I think that I will try to be more personal and thrifty when it comes to those sorts of days instead of feeling obligated to try and find something expensive to fit the criteria of what I can only imagine is a made-up holiday. Good insight Monica!
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  2:52:49 PM  Show Profile
The Tightwad Gazette books are great. They're getting a bit dated but the majority of the information is well worth reading and doing.

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:58:35 AM  Show Profile
Our best question to ask when we are in a store is DO I NEED THIS OR WANT IT?
That is usually enough to make us wait. A want can wait...... but a need must be thought over to see if it is truely a need.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Karla this is such good advice. I always have to take this one step further as I am an impulse buyer. If I say "yes" to I need this then I have to ask myself "Do I really need this?"

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  11:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, I LOVE the Tightwad Gazette! I got all the books several years ago and still refer back to them for ideas on paring down expenses when I feel we've gotten off track.

In addition to asking "Do I really need this or do I just want it?" If I decide I really need it (and if I have to think about it too long, that means I don't) I then force myself to think of WHAT I specifically need it for. Will it be used in the near future? Will it help to produce something else I can use? Will I ACTUALLY use it, or does it just seem like a good idea at the time?

Several of you have mentioned gifts. I have made the concious decision to make all cards and gifts this year. So far it has been working out pretty well. My MIL's birthday was in February. I had some leftover strawberries from last year and she like my strawberry jelly. I had just enough strawberries to make 1 batch of jelly. I put it in nice little jars with strawberry lids and rings, wrapped them up in a basket and made a card to go with it. Voila!! She loved it! I keep trying to plan ahead at least a month in advance for each birthday so I have plenty of time to make something special for that person. So far so good. :)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Sarah :) I have given batches of Sour Cherry Jelly and Banana Pepper Mustard :) I also try to stay a month or more ahead for Birthdays and gifts :)

I bumped up a "How do you save.." thread in Across the Fence where there are more tips :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  09:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Karla, my husband hates that question. When we moved out here he had a fit because we went from a huge house in Pittsburgh to our little home and now if you buy somehthing you have to have a place for it right then and there.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

pgngrl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
New Berlin WI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  1:49:32 PM  Show Profile
This topic is just what I've needed. Lately, I've been wanting to 'get back to basics' cut down, minimallize. I'm tired of working to pay bills (I don't see my job as a career, just a means to pay bills, nothing else, it just seems such a waste) - on cc's that I don't even know WHAT I used them for. Outside of the couple of vet bills for sick kitties, the rest has been frivolous.

I have already decided to go with both buying nothing new, as well as asking myself do I want it, or do I need it. Any other ideas of what I can do to get rid of those cc bills (I'm not using them any longer - they've been cut up!) down/paid off, so I can use (knitting, crocheting, sewing etc) what I enjoy to live on? You know, stop working for the 'man' lol!

It's wonderful how the little things come when you are least expecting them, and validate what you're thinking.
BB
~Laurie

Jamie snorted briefly and picked up a needle and a ball of yarn.
“It’s no verra difficult, Sassenach. Look- this is how ye cast up your row.”
Drawing the thread out through his closed fist, he made a loop round his thumb, slipped it onto the needle, and with a quick economy of motion, cast on a long row of stitches in a madder of seconds. Then he handed me the other needle and another ball of yarn. “There – you try.””
-- Diana Gabaldon, Drums of Autumn*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up: Previous Topic THRIFTY LIVING Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page