True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  05:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Suzie! GLad to have you here!

I also thought my parents were very frugal sometimes, and now I see they were wise. I grew up in a small house - 2 bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen. But we had everything - warm beds, nice clothes, a nice yard, and lots of food on the table. I felt very loved there. We also had a basement, which helped when hanging clothes in the winter, as the furnace was down there. We never shopped just for fun - it was only when we needed to get new things such as clothing for school. We had one of things that people now have many of - bottles of fingernail polish, telephones, TV's, bathrooms, watches, fridges, cars..... We burned our trash, and composted. Paper bags were all there was - however, that did not save trees! Guess we have to balance the trade-offs. But it makes me feel good to hear and know that many others out there are caring about the world. I hope that number grows.
I, too, have read about the trend to smaller houses - about time!!! :) When hubby and I take tours through model homes, we think what in the world? The sofas would not even fit in our living room! The furniture is huge. The houses are really lovely, with lots of windows though. And nice outdoor living space. But I like smaller homes...and have seen the little cottages they are doing in Louisiana after Katrina. What a good idea! Have you seen those?

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile
I have really been enjoying this discussion. I am also one of those people who are doing what I can to simplify my life, but realize that there are still a lot of things I could be doing. I think it's a process, and as long as I keep moving in the right directions, I try not to get to hard on myself. My life has been becoming more and more simple, less and less "consumer-driven",and it makes me happier with every little change!!!

A good book I read that inspired a lot of my changes is " The Simple Living Guide" by Janet Luhrs. It has a lot of good, practical ideas, as well as "inspirational stories" about people who have made big changes. It might be worth taking a look at if you are interested in this subject!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  08:35:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies:

This discussion reminds me of my dear friend who passed away this June. I learned so much from this 94 year old and she was like the grandmother I never had. Her favorite saying was:

Use it up,
Fix it up,
Wear it out,
or Do without.

She was a real hoot of a person and soooooo frugal! I will always miss her but when I think of her, I smile ; )

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  06:47:56 AM  Show Profile
I thought of a question I would like to ask everyone-

I think it is important to use natural and/or organic products whenever possible. However, sometimes it seems to get so expensive!!! Does anyone want to share natural/organic products that they use that give them the most "bang for the buck"?

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  06:56:25 AM  Show Profile
I buy Jason products for body care and I also use Nag Champa products as they are animal fat free-well, so are Jason.

I personally have noted that 'regular' products are getting to be just about the same cost are natural and organic products.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  10:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Natural cleaning products tend to LOOk expensive, but when you look close you find that they are super concentraited. My favorite is the LifeTree brand. Also, remember that if you are on septic that natural products are safer for your system and are less likely to contribute to expensive problems. For quick clean ups, I keep a spray bottle of water mixed with cheap white vinegar in the kitchen. It has a little more umph than a damp rag and smells nice and fresh for just few cents a use. I also add the same cheap white vinegar to smelly laundry.

For skin care, I favor Burts Bees (although I use some Jason products a bases for my own creations). I use to use Toms of Maine toothpaste, but since I read the latest MJ's Farm I am switching that to Burts too (even though it does cost more).

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  08:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Hello Farm Gals!

My passion for thrifty living started about 10 years ago when I got my hands on my first Tightwad Gazette book. Then after reading it, I was struck with the thought that my parents had always been living that way. Talk about an awakening! lol

Here are a few of the things I do to be frugal:

When my kids aren't all that dirty I give them a camping shower instead of a full bath. (We only have a tub and no shower) We take a gallon jug and fill it with warm water. Pour some water over them first like a shower, then soap them up then rinse them off. They think it is fun to pretend to be camping and I'm smiling as my water meter isn't doing overtime.
My kids take their lunches to school everyday. I about had a heart attack when I added up 3 kids at $1.50 per lunch for a month. They weren't crazy about the idea at first as 'everyone else eats hot lunches'. I try to make their lunches interesting and I haven't heard any complaints yet. It is a great feeling when my daughter comes home and tells me that everyone in her class loved what she brought for lunch that day.
I always wash and reuse plastic baggies, when I have them on hand. You can get alot of uses out of them. Also I save bags that brown and powdered sugar come in to reuse. They are heavy like freezer bags and work great. I save bread sacks too when I buy store bread and use them from anything to freezing individual items, putting homemade bread in or packing them to store wet training pants in when we are out and about.
I made cloth diapers from diaper flannel that I found at walmart. After a couple of washings there were so soft and I liked that you can make them whatever size you like for your baby. My mom has a serger machine so that worked great too. Now that my lil one is in training pants the diapers had gone to a rag bag to be used for cleaning and whatnot...some diapers I have had since my 11 yr old was a baby. I could kick myself now thinking back on the times when I was lazy and bought paper diapers and all the money that I threw away.
One thing that really helps me to stay on track with being frugal is being prepared. Such as deciding the night before what I am going to put in the kids lunch boxes the next day and writing it down so I don't forget. Also I try to decide either the night before or early in the morning what we will have for supper that night. That really curbs the tempation to run to Burger King when I can't think of what to fix and it is too late to thaw anything out.
I try to stretch meat as far as it will go. Such as when I fix a turkey breast or chicken in the oven or crock pot I save the broth and boil the carcass the next day for noodles. I try to never throw out leftovers. My kids will eat anything if it looks like a casserole lol. Sometimes I will freeze leftover veggies to use later in soups.

Enough for now. I love reading everyone else's ideas and tips!

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  08:44:20 AM  Show Profile
HA HA SARAH!! My 4 year old daughter thought I was crazy the other day when I boiled the chicken carcass from our dinner the previous night to make broth!! I let her taste it when Iw as done and she thought it was wonderful!

I love weirding my kids out with normal things...

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
That is funny! My kids have asked me before.." what are you going to do with THAT???!!!"
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I guess my kids are just brainwashed. The already are convinced that everything has to be used more than once and even a third or fourth time if possable. They voulnarily toss leftover veggies into the soup pot and when they are ready for lunch pull the pot of beans or stew I have waiting in the fridge out and heat it themselves. Getting them to throw anything out is a battle. Just today I tossed out an old broken chair (chepo one somebody gave me and the junk particle board was beyond hope) and they suggested a dozen uses for the old thing before getting it into the back of the truck. My oldest actualy did convice me to let him save the wicker back to convert into a sheild.

Raising a bunch of tighwads here! Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what happened to the Tightwad Gazzette? I can't remember her name but she had a lot of kids and sure fire ways to save money! Does she still publish her paper? I'd like to know, and thanks! Susan
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
The Tightwad Gazette is no longer printing. The author is Amy Dycyzyn (sp??), she retired to spend more time with her family. But she did compile the newsletters into books. The latest book is called The Complete Tightwad Gazette I believe. I don't have that one and have lost the third one of the previous set. I just love her ideas and the way she breaks down the cost of things. Whenever I feel like spending what I shouldn't or being lazy instead of being frugal I read something from her books for inspiration.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  5:27:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if it was mentioned but www.dollarstretcher.com is another good site!

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Has anybody thought of making their own shoes? Honestly, I really hadn't until this moring when I ran into this old article in MOM's archives. They are really cute shoes and look farily easy to make, not much diffrent than the mocs hubby makes me (skill wise). www.mothereathnews.com/printable/2000_Feburary_March/Simple_Shoemaking Not that I need any shoes right now, but my youngest could use a pair and I have an old leather handbag (thrift store find) that would make a cute pair of shoes for one so little.

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  11:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I believe the correct address for The Dollar Stretch is www.stretcher.com I visit this site quite a bit too :)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  12:16:27 PM  Show Profile
This is such a great topic--I only wish that I had enough brains to do some of this stuff....
Every year I say I'm going to plant a garden, and then it's early spring, then mid-spring and then the last tomatoes are at the farmers market. At least I have a goal for next year (and the next):)
I've always been a thrift shopper, though--living in Brooklyn and Manhattan at an early age taught me to conserve my money for things like food and rent. It's great for my husband, because he's a 14 1/2 shirt size, and 28/32 pant size, and vintage shirts from the late 60's and early 70's fit him perfectly, and he loves those old man cardigans, so, it's a boon all the way.
My problem is Target. I was cleaning out my linen closet a few days ago, and found all these "deals" from Target's clearance. I kept bringing things into the living room, showing my husband. He'd say, "that's cool, where'd you get that?" "Target", so after the 5th or 6th time, he said, "look. You are totally banned from Target.." and the scary is that sometimes I have to drive the car AWAY from the turning lane to get there I don't buy clothes or anything like that--it's cleaning products, and home stuff--dishes, glasses and sheets. Oh my gosh, the sheets. I need 10 beds to sleep on the sheets that I've purchased.
I also need to be a little better about shopping. I lived in England for a time, and because I didn't have refrigeration (it was an old dairy farm, and the house was from the 1700's), I shopped fresh daily. Weirdly enough, I still shop that way. I usually decide on what we're having before lunchtime, and then go to the greengrocer and meat store on my lunch hour. I used to think it was effective, but now I feel like maybe "stocking up" is the way to go? I don't know...any ideas on buying in bulk would be helpful, though, living in a cottage doesn't allow for those giant things of toilet paper!!!
Just so everyone knows, I put a hold on the "Not Buying it" Book at my library, right after I re-read my post :)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  07:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Joni,
The best thing that has happened for frugal living at our house is a boycott on Walmart. Continualy, the powers that be in the corporation do things that are against our moral beliefs so hubby just said "No More Walmart!" I did cheat some last week and buy fabric there when I realised my youngest son had a birthday the following day and I didn't even have what I needed to make his gift...by that late in the eveing no self respecting fabric store was open.

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
I do agree about evil corporations--I just wish someone would tell me something about Target. Well, maybe I don't, but I bet my husband would wish it!!!! I've never shopped at Walmart--probably because ours is kindof old, and never really appealed to me from the outside, but after hearing more of their employment practices, and knowing an elderly lady who does maintenance for the local store, I'm not so sure I would shop there if I did.... Trina, it's alright to "bend" every once in awhile! I can't tell you how many times this summer I had to eat my words about not shopping the big box grocery, and I'd made a big production of declaring to my husband "we have everything we need from the farmers market--totally sustained on local grown produce and meats, dairy and eggs. Ladida..." only to find out that we were out of breakfast cereal or peanut butter or other things that our farmers market doesn't have.
We'll all figure it out one day!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Okay, on my quest to simplify I have to trudge through the outrageous amount of STUFF I have accumulated.
I am an awful packrat and have a shed FULL of my junk that I have to first go through and then get rid of.
We could really use the money from a garage sale, but I don't know if I have the time to do it and the weather's getting bad...
Besides dropping it at the local thrift stores, does anyone have some ideas for liquidating?

I have to be very careful reading the Tightwad Gazettes when it comes to the 'recycling/re-using' chapters! There's a fine line between saving-for-later-use and 'junk-hoarding' for me!

Faith
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  2:56:54 PM  Show Profile
for liquidating..box up all of the items ..and donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army or either a rescue mission/homeless shelter or to a domestic violence shelter. Some of these places allow a rax deductible contribution on some of the things that you take in.

On the items that you honestly feel are worth the time and effort..things that perhaps have not been opened from a package or still have tags on them and are brand new..can be auctioned off on Ebay...

in this way you are able to both make a little bit of pocket money..as well as to help someone else out..so you all win.

If you have a problem with accumulating...
make a point to do a "whole house purge" every 6 months..seriously... I try my best to follow this sort of a routine to cut down on clutter/accumulation.

Best of wishes.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  3:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I am to the point that I truly believe that purging and simplifing are the keys to a clean house and a sane mama. First off, I am happier when my house is neat and tidy. Second, I am a better Mama when I am not loaded down with keeping the house clean. Third, I don't really need most of what I own. Look at the neat tidy houses in old movies...they are neat and tidy because they are almost empty. People only owned what they needed. I am trying to get back to that. It's a long road, but it has already been benificial. Not only is it easier to keep up, I have the room to keep the things I really need and use handy. Today I just brought over 30 yards of fabric home from one of my favorite thift stores (bottom weight wool, a whole bolt of rayon, and vintage cotton poly) and I actualy had space to put it away since my children no longer have a billion toys that require a whole room of their own (like they actualy played with them...) Since I sew most of our clothes, fabric is something that I buy a lot of when I find it bargan prices and I am very careful to only buy good pieces in a color/pattern I will use.

As for getting rid of things, ebay and your local thrift store are good bets. Also, for larger items or tools try putting a free add in your local deals paper (Steals-N-Deals, Thrifty Nickel, etc).

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile
Amen Barefoot!! I'm much happier when I the house is in order, as well. It makes me feel like my life, on the whole, is in order. As far as liquidating, we have a program on the local, rural am radio station called "swap shop"--I have no idea if it's syndicated or not, but there may be something else like it audibly or in print. Literally, it's folks calling into the radio station saying things like "I have a 19 inch zenith black and white tv that I'll swap for and kind of plumbing tools"...or whatever--they have a code number at the radio station, and anyone interested in swapping, calls and presents that code. There's also "freecycle", which I have never been on personally, but a friend hits it everyday and has come up with laptops, christmas trees, etc...I guess it's a garage sale on line. Some items are free, and some are nominally priced. I have friends who have children who get together and do a clothing swap for children of all ages, trade baby for toddler, toddler for older children's clothing, and then have started doing it for themselves, too. They invite co-workers, and everyone gets rid of something, and doesn't necessarily have to take something "new" in return. Seems like a great idea, but I horde my stuff, so I haven't participated :0

Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I think this a great topic especially for the upcoming holidays. I always try to emphasize the holiday more than the gifts. I am googling "Voluntary Simplicity Movement " right now!! and the book,will check library! Boy I love this Forum!great info!

LauraH.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  10:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Last year, I gave up all "pleasure" shopping for Lent. I only bought groceries and gas for 40 days. By Easter, I had saved more money than I would have imagined & sent a fat payment to my c/card. I'd expected to have more money, but the surprising aspect was how much more time I had! I'd no longer lose an hour or two cruising eBay. A self-proclaimed Target Tart, I previously would drive there every Sunday morning after seeing the weekly sales flyer, whether I needed anything or not. I did not set foot in the store for 40 days, and gained hours of my life. I loved it enough to make a lifestyle change.

I've developed a new mindset & try hard not to consume unless I have to replace something. My c/card reamins paid off (I keep it for emergencies only) and my only "bad habit" is yarn; $5 worth of yarn and a pair of knitting needles will keep me happy all day. I still have a long way to go, so will head to the library tomorrow for "Not Buying It" for inspiration.

LauraH, check out www.newdream.org, it's a website geared toward Voluntary Simplicity. I have always made holiday gifts for my family, and the obnoxiousness of the stores is enough to make me go on another shopping fast from Thanksgiving through New Year's day on principle...it's not even Halloween and yesterday the grocery already had up Christmas decorations... enough already!

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Oct 22 2006 10:55:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  1:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
thanks Jennifer Juniper for the website. I checked it out, it has some great info.
I see you are new to the forum too!Isn't great!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up: Previous Topic THRIFTY LIVING Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page