Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Dreaming of a Farm of My Own
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Dreaming of a Farm of My Own Next Topic  

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  1:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies
I am wondering how you ladies out there cope or coped with not haveing a farm of your own. What did you do to not drive you selves crazy while you were waiting to get the farm of your own.

My honey and I are looking for a house but are still in the looking stage and the looking for the money stage. We were young and stupid and both bought new cars within a year of each other or we could be buying our farm now oh to be able to go back in time. We have a plan but it will take a year or two to dig our selves out enough to be able to get our house and i am going crazy. Please tell me what you do or did.

P.S. I do have a very very small house that we build our of pocket on my dad's land to atlest i can grow stuff but i want Chickens and stuff and can't do that.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile
Valerie - I did it backward - I had access to this farm before I knew what on earth I would do with it, and in a way, I envy your situation. If it were me, I would be honing my vision of what I wanted my life, my farm and my livelihood to look like, feel like and "live" like. Write it all down - create a notebook with all of your ideas and dreams - you'll be surprised how doorways can open to you once you know what you want to look for! It's so easy for me to go nutty when I know what I want and I can't have it RIGHT NOW, but I am learning to follow my own advice and use the time to figure out what I REALLY want, and that keeps me from getting into debt or ending up with things I don't love...

Great luck!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kristen
Bellingham WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  12:06:13 AM  Show Profile
Valerie,

In which part of Alaska do you live? It is such a gorgeous state. I, too, spend a ton of time dreaming about my farm. It is not at all in my reach, however. Take heart that at least you will get there! I live on a tiny lot in town and have dogs, a cat, and four chickens. I keep my two dairy goats on a lot near where I teach. I'm currently looking to move to a place with land (I'm a renter) so I can have all the animals in one place and build a more ideal goat barn (with milking room, so I don't have to try to milk in downpours). It's a bit disheartening, however, to think about putting so much effort into something that I may have to leave at some point. Oh well. I spend hours designing the perfect henhouses and goat barns on graph paper... that's part of my farmless survival method.
Figure out if there's somewhere to pinch so you can pay off those cars sooner. Then at least one of us can save toward a farm!

- Kristen

p.s. While you're waiting, you can check out www.feathersite.com. It is quite fun to dream about your chickens before you hatch them. :)
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  04:41:41 AM  Show Profile
valerie, Libbie had a good idea, keep a journal and start planning everything! If you have a space to grow, plant a garden, flowers and herbs to keep your hands busy and so you learn what is best in your area or just what made you happy. You can do alot in a small space! Stay on your plan to get out of debt and that farm will mean all the more to you, a year or two isn't that far away! Stay strong!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  12:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank yoy all for the ideas. i had not thought of a journal before but i am going to start one and when ever i get a good idea or find a web site with something i like the look of i will wright it down. Kristen dear other half and i are in the process of trying to scale things back. We are thinking of trading in my SUV for a subaru baja around 2002 or 2003 which is older then what i have now. It still has the room i need and if we get an older model them our payment will be cheaper. i wish we could get away with one car but it just wont work. Keep the ideas comeing. Thanks

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  07:22:05 AM  Show Profile
It has always been helpful to me to have a separate "dream" savings account, where I deposit little bits of this and that - $5 here, $10 there - and then when it gets to a larger amount, I spend it on something that I REALLY want for myself or the farm, that is a little extra - like a great new tree, plant, planter, chair, or, lately, I'm saving up for a wall tent...

Having that little incentive fund helps me be patient...or at least MORE patient!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

JanO
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Jan
Washington
USA
53 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Valerie I know exactly what your going through. I grew up on a ranch, left it when I grew up and got responsible, then regretted it for years while dreaming of getting back to the land. It's hard, but your in a better position then I was. It took my hubby & I over 9 years to get where we could get out of the burbs. You've already gotten some great advice so all I can add is........First of all, do whatever you have to do to get out of debt. Trade down on the vehicles, start up a strict budget that allows for savings first, don't buy anything unless you can pay cash... whatever it takes don't go into it with debt hanging over your head.

Then study and learn. Read all you can about homesteading, farming, growing gardens, building structures, milking cows, canning, sewing... whatever you can think of for your future lifestyle. Most of these things can also be learned and mastered in your present situation. I've always canned foods, grown a garden, and sewed my own clothes... but there's so many other chores that need to be tended do on a daily basis that I had to learn, or at least study up on. The best book I can suggest is Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. I believe you can get it at Amazon.com I read and re-read that book many times while waiting to get back to the land and I still refer to it on a regular basis.

I know the wait can be exausting and it sometimes seems like your chasing your tail trying to get there. But if you do all you can to prepare for the big day it won't seem so bad.

Good luck
Jan
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all for your wonderfull suggestions. Dear other half and are in now in the prosses of cutting thing back and trying to sell off my car. Anyone want to buy a 2004 Ford Escape? We will get there I know we will i am just not a patient person.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  10:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
Valerie,

I here you! I too day dream and drive myself crazy over the thought of owning my own farm one day.. I dont have alot to say, but wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

IrelandRose
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Rebecca
Colorado Springs Colorado
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  08:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. I'm new here from the Puget Sound area of Washington State. Anyone live nearby? Am enjoying reading all posts and in hopes of finding my niche as I am on my way to my dream. I am a photographer/artist/gardener and in home caretaker working hard to fulfill that dream.

Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Welcome rebecca
You have found a great plcce to be. I would start your own topicin the welcome place so everyone know you are here and maybe you will find someone close by. Again Welcome

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  6:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rebecca,

Welcome. I'm new here too, and I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do. It's great to be with like minded women. What sort of art do you do? My son is thinking of art school after he graduates. Although, next week it could be criminal justice/ CIA...sigh.. teenagers.
Any way, glad you joined MJF!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  6:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Libbie- that is a great idea about the savings account. I know that if I have a few leftover dollars I tend to spend them on something crafty...which ends up just adding to my clutter because I don't have much time to finish them. I think I will open an account and keep a jar at home for the extra dollars. Then when I get a decent amount $10-$20 I can deposit it...best of all, it will be harder to spend since it will be out of sight (wallet).

One question. With a joint account, does it have to be family or can it be my boyfriend and I? We will get married in the next year or two and would be saving up together for our farm. I don't know the legal details on this kind of thing. I would assume it would work though.
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  8:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
NicoleG I agree the savings account would be a great idea. I worked at a bank for a while and you can get a joint account with anyone. Great ideas everyone keep them coming.

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Dreaming of a Farm of My Own Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page