Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Headache Triggers? Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile
I think I might be having a problem with chocolate and headaches.
If I eat chocolate, at night, I will wake up the next morning with a splitting headache. The kind where if I stand up, I get sick. I have been testing the theory, and I am convinced..... this past weekend a made a pan of brownies and ate some in the evening. I was sick half of the next day with a headache the size of Kingdom Come.
Anybody have this problem? Is it really true; food triggers? What is the best way to kill a "food" headache when I forget and eat chocolate at night? (especially in the holiday season.......) :(

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  4:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Hosanna,
If you have a food allergy, even a slight one, it can trigger headaches. As with any allergy you can always take an antihistamine like Claritin, Benadryl, something over the counter. I am allergic to nuts, and when we go out and I don't know whether I will come across them,and not wanting to seem offensive but spitting them out or refusing to eat, I take those and it seems to help. I get the headaches and hives and facial swelling.
Hope that helps at least a little. Being sensitive to chocolate is really stinky, especially this time of year. Will be looking forward to hearing what else to find to indulge in..hehe I'm always up for new ideas.
hugs,

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  4:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes chocolate can be a hugh triger for Migrains as can red meat and shell fish and any thing you might think of.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Hosana:
When I eat dark chocolate I get an instant headache. I stay away from it. Regular chocolate is okay, but I've learned that chocolate is something that I cannot have every day! I could eat just brownies for breakfast, dinner, and supper. LOL
Hope the headaches stay away.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  6:58:04 PM  Show Profile
That's horrible to not be able to eat chocolate. It could be the caffiene in the chocolate that's causing the headaches. Does it happen if you eat it during the day?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile
I woke up to my first-ever migraine this morning...so I was reading up on triggers, and chocolate is one of them. :( The headache is unbelievable...... Do you drink coffee?? It's supposedly the caffeine that triggers them, but they also say caffeine can help lessen migraine headaches. It depends on the person...

But I guess my thought with the coffee was...if you DO drink coffee or tea, and you don't get a headache, then maybe the gals are right that it's actually a food allergy...? Instead of a caffeine triggered headache.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
www.patternprincess.blogspot.com
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  4:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Found out that some migraines are caused by the constriction of blood vessels in the brain, and others by the dialation.

So for some, heat may help, while for others cool may help.

The darker the choc. the more concentrated the cocoa becomes. (darker choc. is also more lethal to dogs too)

Triptans found in prescription drugs block this pain receptor...thank goodness.

Mine are caused by constriction. So upper back strain will trigger mine, (tight muscles that lead to the back of my neck and manifest behind my right eye) as will sudden barometric pressure fluctuations (a trip through the mountains of WV this week was painful!) and really obnoxious smells like perfume. Sorry Yankee Candle COmpany. I can't STAND it!

Smoking, and yes, red wines, aged cheeses and of course chocolate. Some even have onion sensitivity problems.

Especially this time of year, chocolate would be really hard to forego
Glad you found it out quickly.

For some, sniffing peppermint or lavender or rolling a combination of thison your temples will help aleviate the pain. I have never had much success with this and take RX meds only as needed. Used to try and tough it out. And the longer the pain festers, the more intense it becomes,so much to the point of getting really irritable, sick to my stomach and with light, sound and espeacially smell sensitivity!

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  5:09:09 PM  Show Profile
forgot to add the other nasty trigger, and that's any processed meat that has sodium nitrate or nitrite.

I just love a good hot dog, and can only eat the all natural ones now

glad yours is just chocolate, but that's the worst!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Headache Triggers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page