Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How to keep animal water from freezing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to keep animal water from freezing? Next Topic  

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! My husband and I have been racking our brains trying to figure out how to keep the water in our lamb's water trough from freezing. Their pasture is too far from electricity to put in a submersible heater. And I just keep thinking that a hundred years ago they probably didn't have electricity on farms for such things as this - so there must be a way. Does anyone have any suggestions??

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I have the same problem Alyssa. Hope someone can helps us out.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  4:19:38 PM  Show Profile
I just have to fill up buckets in the house and carry around to all my critters. My water hoses freeze up. It's just part of winter. But isn't there some type of container that is not supposed to freeze the water? Wouldn't that be nice to have.

Good luck.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  5:07:24 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I could use something for my chickens too. The water I bring out has been freezing right away. I'm trying hot water, in a plastic waterer, in their coop. It's still below freezing out but maybe some residual heat will keep it thawed.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Soon to Be Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Boy we western Washingtonians just aren't cut out for this weather are we? Sorry I can't offer any advice on your lamb trough that doesn't require electricity.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  7:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey CherryPie~~Check out your local Del's Feed and Farm Supply in Puyallup......I work for the one over here in Cheney, and I know here awhile back we got heated bases for poultry waterers. They should be able to help ya!! I used to live in Enumclaw, and for sure, that cold weather you guys are getting is pretty unusual. As for us over here, not so much!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile
The Grange people told me that there is a solar-powered heater for water tanks. I need one badly as the tank is too far away from the source to even be safe. The downside is, they said it would be pretty darn expensive. So, we're chopping ice for the time being...

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  8:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here are some ideas-

You could get the solar powered tank heaters as has been mentioned,

You could get some black paint and paint your tank black on the outside (passive solar transmission of heat) Unfortunatly that will only work on sunny days.

Put some sort of insulating material around 3 sides of your tank like straw to keep in what heat you do add in there either via boiling water from the house or solar heat.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  04:32:40 AM  Show Profile
I have this http://www.shopwbu.com/products/productdetail/part_number=1517/567.0.1.1 in my bird bath. But it's rated for farm use. I'm sure you could find it at a farmers supply or elsewhere. It even said on the box that it was for an animals water supply.

Sorry - just saw you're too far from electricity! Sorry.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Edited by - City Chick on Dec 08 2009 04:33:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  07:16:05 AM  Show Profile
We too just haul water each day for the sheep, maybe next year something new but this year that will be it.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  09:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Get a chunk of wood, make sure its non-treated and float it, (you might need more than one piece, depending on surface size), this will not prevent all freezing, but it will make it much easier to break the ice, and most animals will learn to drink up next to the wood, where its not froze.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  12:26:54 PM  Show Profile
oh teresa what a simple smart idea. i will try this today. we were -14 last night and a wind chill of -28. where am i alaska or what. the west coast and mtns. are so cold. not one of my favorite days. clear blue sky snow on the ground and tonight -10 again. ok i am ready for some warm rain. so i shall go put a pine log in my stock tanks thanks sherry the learn as we go far,m silk purse
Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile
got down to 16 degrees last night in rural Woodinville, I put out a much larger container of water (takes longer to freeze), been toting boiling water out every couple of hours to thaw the chickens' water. This weather is weird!
Virginia

I don't suffer from stress. I'm a carrier.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1404 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1404 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile
It was 1 deg. when I got up at 8 this morning and went down to zero. I'm so glad I have an inside dog and don't have to worry about animals. It would make my hair grayer than it already is.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  1:24:10 PM  Show Profile
We use a tank heater for Mona (and Pearl and the sheeps) water. It is a big old metal bathtub. You can't use them in plastic water tanks, but they work fine in metal. I spent alot of years hauling buckets of hot water all the way out to fill it, and breaking deep ice twice or more a day in winter and this $18 item made such a difference!!! I got mine at the feed store (IFA) and it is going on it's third winter now. There are floating ones and the ones that go to the bottom..we have the bottom one since MOna plays with the floating kind and tosses them off the water. The heater things don't keep the water warm..just warm enough to keep from freezing. Very nice. I got a heated water bucket for the chickens too. It was sold for dogs but works for them as well. It has been cold and stormy here the past couple days...9" of snow since yesterday.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:02:13 PM  Show Profile
What a great thread.....
my poor daughter has to break ice as well as drag over hot water from the house to the Goat pin/barn as they to do not have electricity run out there yet.
Thanx for the great suggestions. I'll pass them along to her.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  06:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Haul and chop ice----that's what we have always done. Until it is warm in the winter that is what we will continue to do. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to keep animal water from freezing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page