Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Has anyone tried a sweeter heater in their coop?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Has anyone tried a sweeter heater in their coop? Next Topic  

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  12:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Temps are in the teens here, so I put a heatlamp in my chicken coop. I saw an add in Backyard Poultry for a infratherm heater called a sweeter heater. Has anyone tried it? Would you recommend it?

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  6:14:43 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of it before. We don't usually get that cold here, or for very long at least. Hopefully someone will know about it. Are your chickens laying right now?

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  7:25:21 PM  Show Profile
Hopefully we won't be cold long here! It's 17 degrees at 7:30pm, which is very unusual.

Peapicker-I did get 2 eggs today out of 14 hens.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  9:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Ya been really cold here too!! We have a heat light going for them but I havent heard of a sweeter type before sorry. ya eggs have been pretty spiratic since the teens arrived last week. WE are suppose to get dumped on tomorrow and we have a blizzard watch too. YUCK!! Curious to know what you think.

Farmgirl# 868
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  05:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Never heard of it, but I'll certainly be checking it out. Our temps only get down into the twenties, and not very often, at that, but it is a damp, humid cold, so we try to keep the coop warm. Right now, I just have a small heat lamp, and noticed that it's fine on some days, but on others, I think it's just too cold for my sweeties. LEt me know if you get one or hear anything about them, and I'll do the same.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  05:42:53 AM  Show Profile
We are not getting many eggs either. We have about twenty new hens and a few older ones and we only getting 2 to 4 eggs a day. Before the cold weather we were couldn't give them away fast enough. We are getting into the 20*s some nights here. We don't have a light on ours yet. I think we are going to put one in there this week. I think this is going to be a cold winter because we live in a part of Texas that ususally does not get this cold so early.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  07:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Have not tried it but last night it was -8 not counting wind chill and this will be just the start. I have two heat lamps in the coop and the girls seem to do fine with that but we have been hit before with horrible week long storms and I think some of my old gals would love to come into the house with me.

Today we are to reach maybe 1 degree but I am not going to hold my breath - you sure can see it to hold it. I just check on them around every 4 hours, keep them with plenty of bedding, food and warm water.

Stay warm and get ready for a bumpy ride.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  07:13:27 AM  Show Profile
We have had 0 and no nothing and girls are fine. Today hubby is hooking in a regular light so they will have day light hours. We will first try run it from 3 a.m to about 9 just to add some additional warmth in the coop. Also going to add some cracked corn to heat up the ole body temp. Both of the above have been suggested so will see how it works.
Our coop is also well insulated.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  09:30:43 AM  Show Profile
If you live in an area where it gets really cold for days on end, slather vaseline or something like that on the chickens legs, waddles and combs, it will really help them with heat retention and prevent frost bite.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1badmamawolf

If you live in an area where it gets really cold for days on end, slather vaseline or something like that on the chickens legs, waddles and combs, it will really help them with heat retention and prevent frost bite.

That's a good idea. I wonder if Bag Balm would work instead (it is what I have on hand).

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Soon to Be Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Has anyone tried a sweeter heater in their coop? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page