Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Christian Fiction Book Club!! Last page updated!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Christian Fiction Book Club!! Last page updated! Next Topic
Page: of 6

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I am done with the 1st book and started on the second, so I am ready to discuss when ever.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  5:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Me too!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  5:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Alright Girls!! We can start any time!! So go for it!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  11:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Channah and everyone else, I just have a minute but will be back tonight, maybe it would help to post a few questions to get us started on discussing the book, I have never really done one of these before.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  2:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I will work on that right now Karen! I was thinking about that last night but did not have time to post.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  04:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Do you think "The Parting" was appropriate for the title?

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  06:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I think there were a couple of partings in the book. First from her sister, then her family from the old order church. To me it gave me a sad feeling, I don't think the Amish do change very well.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile
I think the title was fitting, there were alot of partings, beside the family from the church, Sarah, Nellie parted from not only her sister but her best friend she also was parting from her youth.

Nellie was also parting from traditional ways since she had the store.

Any thoughts on the way they courted?

Edited by - lulu bell on Jan 22 2010 04:57:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  06:41:03 AM  Show Profile
I think the secret ways they courted were strange. It seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I always wanted to know who my children were involved with. They were so strict on lots of customs and seemed not to think much about the young staying out all night. Nellie is so mature and level headed in the book , but what if you had a child that was the opposite and couldn't really handle that much freedom and influences. I can certainly see the struggles in trying to follow the old ways.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't agree with you more, I have a sixteen year old girl, and I trust her but why put her in that position. There are alot of customs of the Amish I wish we would go back to but others I don't think I could ever adjust to.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  3:22:17 PM  Show Profile
I too was shocked at their courting practices; and the lack of communication among the family in general. It seems as if Momma felt it prying if she asked her children any questions at all; and even the sisters were concerned about digging too deep.
All the same, I love the main characters.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  3:27:29 PM  Show Profile
I do have a wonderful mental picture of Nellie's bakery in my mind and oh how I wish there was one just like it close to me. I can almost inhale the aroma's just thinking about it. I have to admit this is my first look into the intimate details of Amish life. There is a lot to admire and a lot to question.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh I so agree with you the smells just come out of the pages, I have visited a couple of areas that have had Amish jellys and jams for sale and they were oh so good, I would have been one of her regulars.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  7:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
wow you ladies already started without me. but I guess I did say go ahead didn't I? lol
I guess I really just loved all of the book. When I read a book like that I feel like I'm right there in the story. Playing the main character or in this case Nellie! I do wish I could have a bakery like that.
I do agree about the dating though. Bonnie just sumed it up for me.
So if you could be anyone in that book who would you be? It does not have to be a main character either. I will try and think up a few more questions. Have all you ladies started on the 2 book? Please let me know if 2 is to much to do in a month. Like I said you can always listen to them on cd or tape.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  04:46:41 AM  Show Profile
I have the second book done also, so when ever you want to talk about that one too. It was hard not to add something from that book when talking about the 1st they really do seem as one. It is hard to get back to reality you feel like you are living in their world. Great choice of books Channah.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  03:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Who would I be? Hmmm.... Nellie, Nan, Momma, even Rosanna. I truly love them all! To have grown up living so simply AND accept Jesus!

I just have to say that the way the author describes Rueben & Momma's passion and thirst for Jesus and His Word once they are saved has truly moved me; ignited a search of my own heart and a desire to shake off the cobwebs and remember what a privilege it truly is to know our Savior and be able to so freely spend time with Him.
I have always been an avid reader, but last year was full of heartbreak and tragedy for our family; I think I read two books cover to cover. This has been wonderful! These books are perfect and I am well into the third! (I couldn't stop!)

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  08:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Very Ture Bonnie!! I love how they have so much faith and trust in God!! It is wonderful and refreshing! I was thinking that we could have read the 3 books in January but I thought it might be too much.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  2:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Honestly, some months I may not be able to read this fast, like I said it's a breath of fresh air!

Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  5:38:02 PM  Show Profile
I haven't got the third book yet, is it a third book in this series?
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
yup it is Karen. It's a 3 books series.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, just call me slow. I am only in the second book. I have been a little busy lately and haven't had as much reading time as I would like.

I don't know who I would like to be in the book. I like all of the characters. I like Nellie a lot and the bakery is a tempting scene in the book. I wish they described it a little more. I think one of the things I find the hardest to accept is giving away ones own babies. I could never do that. I feel deeply for people who cannot have their own.....but I could never carry a baby and then give it up.

Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  1:33:53 PM  Show Profile
Yea, I was hoping that she wouldn't leave me hanging.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  8:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
ok Ladies, please move on to the next books. As soon as you are done let me know and I will post questions for our discussion. Sound alright??
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  8:35:11 PM  Show Profile
I am just starting on book three. Which one is everyone else on? I am assuming we are going to discuss book two now?

Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile
I have read the third book, I couldn't put it down this week end. So I am ready to talk about the 2nd book whenever also!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Reading Room: Previous Topic Christian Fiction Book Club!! Last page updated! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page