Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  08:33:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm in a bit of a quandry. My oldest DD is getting married next June.
She will be 29 years old by then and is planning on paying for a good share of the wedding herself. Though she is practical in many areas(we will be growing flowers for decorating, and I'll make her veil)the family she is marrying into has more money and different priorities. Her guy's grandmother is paying for most of a fairly lavish reception, maybe $50 per guest. They are inviting family and our closest neighborhood friends, couples we have known for many years. The wedding will be in a city 50 miles from here, so travel is an issue.
But I am unsure how to deal with a couple of issues. First there is the issue of one cousin. He and his wife both live on disablity income, 100 miles away and have no car or money for travel. DD doesn't plan to invite them, thinking it might cause them to think they need to send a gift they can't afford, she can hardly say that their presence is gift enough because that would be beyond their budget too. But she IS inviting his sister and her kids who she is closer to.
Then there are the friends' children. One has 2, both married and the other has 3, 2 married and 1 seriously involved. That adds 10 people the guest list. We have been to the weddings of one in each family. The kids were playmates as young kids but didn't stay in touch. DH says they will understand there is a limit on how many guests, and I worry that it may be seen as "showing off" that her wedding is so different than their small town practical weddings.
Our own wedding was small town and fine

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  08:39:55 AM  Show Profile
#1) cousins on disability, I would give them an invite and let them bow out or just send them an announcment.#2)The friends kids, There again I would just send an announcment to, since they are no longer close. People understand more than you think, if you are not buddys, they would realize that an invite would not happen, cause if you do, then it would just seem like you were gift hunting.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile
I second that.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://iowafoodcoop.blogspot.com

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Don't pray for a lighter load, pray for a stronger back.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  2:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a very fair and practical solution to me! Good luck with it all.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  03:50:04 AM  Show Profile
I'll second just sending an announcement

No obligations there