Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Birth of an egg, the coolest thing I've seen since
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Birth of an egg, the coolest thing I've seen since Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  09:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Does it make me weird that watching my hen lay an egg (literally, she had her butt facing the open coop door) is the coolest thing I've seen since witnessing the birth of my niece? Seriously, I can't remember seeing anything so awe-inspiring and amazing since then. Nature is absolutely marvelous.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile
You are too sweet, to be so innocent as to be awed by something so natural and simple as an egg, please never change.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think that would be so neat to see! I don't think that makes you weird at all! Nature is marvelous and it's wonderful when we take moments to simply be and enjoy the wonder that is our world!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  09:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I should add that we've had a lot of tragedy getting to this egg. We lost our first three birds (buff orps) to a mystery illness and our fourth bird to an impacted crop (which I tried to rectify myself over a holiday weekend - long, ugly story). Our last two girls are doing fine and now finally an egg. It's been a hard road to get to the perfect over easy egg I just ate. :-)

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  11:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I still think it's a miracle myself. I have caught a few laying and they just stand there for so long afterwards. Like they're in a daze. I wonder if they get a little paralyzed from the awful pain it must cause. It's gotta hurt like heck. I can't even imagine what it must feel like. And to do that every day, too. I hope it's like childbirth and they forget what it feels like right after.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  4:51:11 PM  Show Profile
I have never actually seen it happen, that would be cool to see. I just go out there and pick up the eggs.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  07:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I have watched my hen- just happened to be there at the right time- and was amazed. This summer my ds (11) brought me a real warm egg and was absolutely amazed when he told me he watched her spit it out!! It was so cool that he is awed by that!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  5:37:02 PM  Show Profile
I really dont think it hurts them. it doesnt look like it does anyway/ but it sure is fun to watch them come out/ seen a turtle laying once along the road.facinating! I love watching them hatch too, I just stay glued to the incubator window from first pip to first step
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  03:46:47 AM  Show Profile
I've only ever seen it once w/ a silkie hen. Por thing would wail every time she laid.

It is cool

As an animal keeper, I never get tired to seeing stuff like this
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Birth of an egg, the coolest thing I've seen since Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page