ks_farm_girl
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Ginger
Ellsworth KS
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile
I have seen a 'recipe' in the past for a chicken 'gruel' to feed your chickens so they will continue to lay thru the winter months. We went from over 3 dozen a day down to 2. We're now up to 3. Not sure what is different, though our weather has not gotten too cold yet...that will be this week! Even thru our first snows in Oct and Nov, we were getting eggs. All of the sudden in the last couple of weeks (maybe time change?) we have a massive reduction.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I've heard of this gruel and of putting jalapeno water (boiled jalapenos) in their water to raise their body temps.

Thanks!

Happy Farmin'!

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  09:36:10 AM  Show Profile
Corn raises body temp

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  2:01:06 PM  Show Profile
How much light do they get in a day they need 12 to 14 hours to maintain egg production.
And a good laying food and lots of water.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

ks_farm_girl
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Ginger
Ellsworth KS
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  2:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Lots of food and water and light during day. I will try adding corn. They usually have milo and/or wheat with oyster shell and sometimes layer mash (we're going to up that). As well as scrap eatin's.

Thank you!!

Happy Farmin'!
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  2:41:52 PM  Show Profile
Our egg production went WAY down until we added a light. It's on a timer, so it only comes on in the evening and shuts off around 4 am. Now we're back up to a dozen or more a day. We use a layer feed and mix in cracked corn, so that may help too.

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  9:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Chickens lay eggs in response to daylength. UV in the sun makes vit D in the chickens' combs, which promotes calcium metabolism for shell production. More sun=more vit D=more calcium metabolism= more shells=more eggs. Less sun reverses all of this. I have a sneaking suspicion God made it this way because it is not advantageous for the chicken to lay eggs and raise chicks in the winter. This is normal. Some breeds have been bred to lay the year round, eventhough they slow up a bit. The larger breeds like Black Australorp, Buff Orpingtons, and some Rhode Island Reds continue to lay in the winter.

So, my personal preference is not to stress the chickens' systems with artificial light in the winter, but let their system rest naturally. If you do choose to force egg production in the winter, be sure to add infant polyvitamin drops without iron, to their drinking water, or cod liver oil for vit D supplementation.
Virginia

I don't suffer from stress. I'm a carrier.

Edited by - vtstevens on Nov 29 2009 10:51:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  03:47:52 AM  Show Profile
And it never fails for most of mine to go into a heavy molt just in time for everyone's holiday baking needs. Grrrrr

I also add the cracked corn or scratch to the layer ration.

Have recently added cat food, as it is way high in proteine and may help in dealing w/ the molts and cold temps. And found out barley is high in proteine too. Can't find it though at our local feed store so the catfood wil have to do. And as a side bar. Strange how a food designed for a carnivore has CORN listed as its first ingredient. To feed my cats, they get the better stuff. But I digress...........

Most of my ladies are the cold hardy ones, so when they aren't molting, we are all pretty happy w/ egg production
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Good tip about the cod liver oil. I'll add some to my girls' diet.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  5:46:30 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of letting them take the winter off.We keep a light on in the hen house , but a dim one just so they can see a bit. spoiled girls wont go into a dark houe
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Eggs thru winter...? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page