Author Holidays: Previous Topic Favorite Christmas memories Next Topic  

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love the Christmas Season...One of my favorite traditions is to read this little journal that we hang from the tree where we have written little highlights of each Christmas in Tom and My 25 years of marriage.. I love that we sit around the tree after we decorate it and read those stories, then there is a quietness as we all wonder what will fill the pages for this year. I have decided that when each of the boys marry they will get a copy of our journal and a journal of their own........The last few years we have chosen to go to our cabin for Christmas.. it is nestled up in the blue mountains...there is nothing sweeter.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renesnaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  08:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Rene, what a wonderful idea! How great that will be to pass it on to your boys too.
I am going to suggest this Christmas tradition to my newly married son and his wife- maybe I'll get the journal for them!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  12:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Renee:
What a wonderful memory for your boys.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  1:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
It really has been.. the journal is small ( about 3x5) and has a little loop to hang it with.. anyone could make one and it has lasted us 25 years and counting....

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  4:00:22 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Christmas memory is my first Christmas with my late hubby, I was 17 and he was 20. We had been living here for 6 months, working our tails off to make the house a home, and the property fit for livestock. I was 7 months pregnant with my first, and 2 days before Christmas, I realized that not only did we not have a tree, but we had "nothing" planned for Christmas dinner. I was very down trodden about it, but tried to keep up my spirits for my Husband and our unborn child. Christmas eve, our neighbors to the east of us, (they were a wonderful elderly couple that we just adored), called us to come over for dinner. I went early to help, cause she was haveing a house full. My hubby would come over later on, just in time to eat. We ate around 5pm, and I helped clean up and put away. I was sad to go home to a fairly empty house , except for the gifts that family had mailed. When we got to the door, the house was dark, and my wonderful, wonderful man said "close your eyes my love", he helped me in, and said wait til I say open them, I heard rustling, open your eyes and there stood the most beautiful tree ever, with lights and tinsel and 1 ornament. He said, this is our first, and every year we will add to them, bought, given and handmade, til there isn't anymore room left, and then we will hang them from the ceiling. There was a big roasting chicken in the frig, along with everything I needed to make our first Christmas dinner. He and our neighbors had planned and executed this without me EVER knowing a thing. The next morning, he tells me there is one more surprise, and here comes my Mama(she lives in Missouri) leading the most beautiful little filly I've ever seen up to the back door. I think I cryed for an hour.My Mama stayed for 4 months, and was here to help bring her first Grandchild into this world.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  4:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Teresa,
The perfect christmas... thanks for sharing that.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  7:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, yours takes the cake, and brings tears to my eyes all at the same time!! My favorite memories are of course, being a little girl, but my very favorite memory is.....first I have to set the scene, we either went to my aunt and uncles in Seattle, get up Christmas a.m., breakfast, dress up, load the trunk with presents and head on in, open presents, eat, etc. etc. or, they would come to our house. Hubby and I lived in Central Or. for about 10 yrs., and always had lots of snow, first yr. there we "went home" for the holiday, 11 hr. trip that should have taken 7, because of bad roads, the whole distance. Next Christmas Pete said to me "if you want to go home, you can, but I'm staying here on the mtn." So..... we sat in front of the woodstove, me in my flannel nightie, opening presents, that was a first for me, at the age of probably 34!!! The rest of the day was great, I'll never forget it, thus, my favorite memory.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  08:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
What????? there is cake???? LOL sorry Suzie couldnt resist... I love all these as they are good reminders of what the holidays are truly about.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  1:59:05 PM  Show Profile
When I was a kid we lived in the mountains by Lake Tahoe - my father was a caretaker for summer homes and our road wasn't plowed in the winter. This was before snowmobiles so we drove an old army weasel in and out the 3.5 miles of mountain roads in the winter. One Christmas eve we were coming home from church about 1 am and it was so cold but the moon was bright. We were bundled up in the back of the weasel in thick wool blankets under the canvas cover. All of a sudden the weasel stopped and my dad pulled back the flap and said in a low voice to come and look. There, lined up across the meadow in a straight line were about 20 coyotes. The pack leader took one look at us and raised his head and started to yowl and then the others followed suit. Then they fell silent and just looked at us and we at them. The moon made the snow sparkle and the coyotes eyes glowed. It was a true moment of grace in that winter cold. I think I was about 7 yrs. old but it has been my favorite Christmas moment of all time. That kind of grace is priceless and a true gift of the greatest measure - awe.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  6:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I had an old picture taken of me showing my big pregnant tummy standing by the stockings on the wall. There was one tiny one there to represent the new and unborn baby. That was 1972 people didn't know the sex of the baby before birth back then.

I had been having pains and discomfort for a couple of weeks, baby wasn't due for about 6 weeks. On That Christmas eve my water broke...so doctor said to come on into the ER and they will induce labor. I felt fine so had a nice big dinner...wanted to eat first..lol
Then on Christmas Day my son was born. His name is Jason and I am very happy to say that is my best Christmas!
this year Jason is 37 years old. Happy Birthday Jason!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Dec 10 2009 9:25:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  12:14:00 AM  Show Profile
I was 4 and had been in the hospital for months, coming home just before Christmas. There was no money.Mom very tearfully explained to me and my 2 older brothers that there would be no tree, our one gift would be in a chair in the corner. I saw her dash outside to catch a stray chicken for dinner(yes, momma was a chicken thief that year!) Meanwhile, I drew her the most beautiful tree on the kitchen wall, big and colorful! Well, just before I got a Christmas spanking, the landlady happened in and stopped her. In the morning we had a real tree, with 7 gifts each under it. My fav one was a baby parakeet that I had for 22 years! I'm pretty sure it was Santa, or maybe his helper that made our Holiday so wonderful. Thank you Mrs Moreno, wherever you are!
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Favorite Christmas memories Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page