Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Signature/Friendship Quilt Block Exchange -Closed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Signature/Friendship Quilt Block Exchange -Closed Next Topic
Page: of 9

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  11:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Julie-

I'd like to do this, too! It sounds awesome to have a quilt with sister's names on them....gotta have one!

When you say white or white on white, you are NOT including off-white, correct???

Happy sewing!

carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  3:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
How are you doing with sign up?

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  4:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Well....I cut a bunch of the white on white fabric a while ago only to find out that I cut it too narrow.
But I can use that fabric for another project. Here is my first block. What are we putting on the block? Our real name with city and state?

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  5:51:15 PM  Show Profile
Kathy nice block looks good. I hope we are putting screen names also as I do not know everyone by name alone.

Julie are we at 24 blocks.

Soon I am going to start mine. This will be my first sewing for 2010.

http://cinnamongirlsthreads.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  03:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone,

Carrie... that is a wonderful idea putting our screen name on also. Let's do that. We are at 23 blocks because one dropped out.

As for the directions...it may make a 6 inch block. I make a bit bigger block and cut down to 6 1/2 inch size that way I am guaranteed the 6 1/2 inch block.

Kathy... your block is just beautiful. I can't wait to see everyone's blocks!

Happy Holidays' Everyone!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  11:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sign me up please. Please let me know how many I can send to get all different back.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I have you on the list Linda. There will be a total of 24 people who have signed up. Good Luck Ladies!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  12:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Is everyone making 24 blocks so we can each have one from everyone? Sounds like a plan to me

Linda
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  4:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Ya I did a practice one and I cut to six and half inches this is the size you want us to send in Julie. Just double checking as I think u missed Beverley's question.

Twenty four yippie I like even numbers. Starting my 24 this week.

How many are starting?

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  4:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Beverley that I missed your question. Yes... 6 1/2 inch blocks to send in. I can't wait to see what combinations everyone comes up with.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  10:23:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

I printed out the instructions from the original post which made a 6" block and that is what I made. I have all 24 done and now I realize that we are supposed to make them 6 1/2", which is different from the instructions in the link. Have I just messed up for everyone????

I also want to make sure that you have me down and aren't confusing me with Carrie from Canada!! There are two Carrie's signed up.

Please let me know if my blocks are acceptable at 6" and that I am signed up as Carrie in NY.

Thanks!
CArrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  12:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Carrie M...I have you down as one of the 24. I realize that some of you have made the 6 inch and some the 6 1/2 inch blocks. No problem... we can just cut the 6 1/2 inch block down to the 6 inch block size.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Edited by - ClaireSky on Jan 04 2010 12:57:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:27:57 PM  Show Profile
I haven't started my blocks yet, but is this confusion around "finished/unfinished"? What should I make?

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Jonnie...The term finished/unfinished confuses me too. The required block should have been a completed put together block that is 6 1/2 inches square. So... you can either cut down the biggers blocks to 6 inches or keep the 6 1/2 inch blocks and set aside the 6 inch blocks for another project.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Edited by - ClaireSky on Jan 05 2010 02:54:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  9:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Maybe this will help explain quilting block sizes.

If you go to www.quilterscache.com and go to the pattern library, you will find that all patterns are listed with the finished block size shown. The finished size is the size of the block after it is sewn into the quilt top. The unfinished size includes the seam allowances, usually 1/4" on all sides, so the unfinished size is 1/2" larger than the finished size. The instructions shown via the link make an unfinished block of 6-1/2", which is also what Julie said was the size to be swapped.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  06:10:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I understand the difference :-) I was just wondering if maybe others were confused. I'll do what the pattern says and I'm very careful about scant 1/4" seam allowances.

Happy stitching, all!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:25:10 AM  Show Profile
My test one I followed instructions and cut to six and half by six and a half so there should be I don't understand the six inch block at all

Swap mama clearly stated six and a half on sign up page. So I would hope we are all doing the same size. Not trying to be mean but it seems to me they should all be six and a half.

Edited by - cinnamongirl on Jan 05 2010 09:34:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile
I agree. I think that all the blocks should be the same size.
After you have made your test block it should measure 6 1/2 inches when it is laying on your cutting mat. After you have sewn it into your quilt top, it will measure 6 inches.
Also, is everyone going to make the 24 blocks???

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  1:05:42 PM  Show Profile
I plan to make 24 unless someone tells me otherwise . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:26:22 PM  Show Profile
I agree all blocks should be 61/2". Resizing blocks is very time consuming and it doesn't always work. I was in an exchange where we ended up cutting them down and it cut off part of the signature or states. The 6" blocks can be used with your signature for the black of future quilts. All quilts should have the makers name, city and date on the back.

Art cleans the dust of everyday life from the soul. Picasso
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Julie -

Are we still at 24 people? I thought I saw a couple more sign up. These are easy blocks and I think everyone should make one for each person who is swapping.

I also agree with Linda Jo about resizing - it often skews the size of the outer pieces so when sewn together seams do not match. All blocks should be made per the Quilters Cache pattern - the 6-1/2" size.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  3:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hello Everyone!

We are at a total of 24 people who are on the list. I would like everyone if possible to make a 6 1/2 inch square block for each signup. It should have your Name, City, State, and your Farmgirl name too. (Ex: Mine is ClaireSky)

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  3:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good - Thanks, Julie!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  3:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks and just to let you ladies know yes I am doing 24, and it certainly is an easy block.I just about have all my triangles ready to stitch together.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  03:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
We had a dropout. We are now at 23 signups.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Signature/Friendship Quilt Block Exchange -Closed Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page