Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 pillowcase for sick kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic pillowcase for sick kids Next Topic
Page: of 2

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message

Make a Difference: Brighten a Child's Day
It is hard to believe that a pillowcase can make a huge impact in the life of a child suffering from cancer. Days spent in a "clinical" environment don't allow for many creature comforts of home. ConKerr cancer is an organization whose ultimate goal is "...that every child with a life changing illness...receives a bright, cheery pillowcase when he or she is in the hospital." In just two short years the organization has delivered over 110,000 pillowcases to children, while at the same time establishing 96 chapters that serve as delivery locations throughout the United States, Canada and South Africa.

Alex met the founder of the ConKerr Cancer Project, Cindy Kerr, while in Houston, and is issuing this personal challenge to each and every one of the TQS members. Alex wants YOU to make difference in the life of an ill child by stitching up a cheery pillowcase or two. Make it a family event and have a son, daughter or grandchild help pick out the fabric. Keep in mind that this is for a child, so we are talking fun, upbeat, and funky fabric. Share your creation in Show and Tell here, and enter your chance to win a TQS super goodie bag. One winner will be selected on January 31, 2010 and announced in the eNewsletter on February 2, 2010. You can choose to send your pillowcase to a local chapter near you or send them to:

ConKerr Cancer
295 E. Swedesford # 396
Wayne, PA 19087

Linda in Scranton, PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Dec 01 2009 5:32:43 PM

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  5:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Thank you for posting this! It is so easy to make a pillow case and yet it means so much! I checked out the website and of course you get all choked up reading about how it started!! Here is a link to the site! http://www.conkerrcancer.org/index.html

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  5:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi sister,
Thanks for the link...It sounds just like something farmgirls would do and I was touched too..

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  6:59:08 PM  Show Profile
I have wanted to do something like this!!
I had the idea when I was grieving the loss of my husband, and my son was attending grief group. I'll do this for sure, though I do not know how to post Show and Tell, LOL!!
~ Mary LD
Texas
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  7:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I am wondering if we can add embelishments like rickrack or lace on a little girls...? perhaps we should ask that.
Did ya notice that they need for teenagers? I am thinking teen boys like basic stripes? I suppose bright solids could work for the boys too...purple? black and white?

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  7:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Boys would like the army uniform print...green or tans (used in Iraq desert)I think they would also like patriotic manly prints too.
what do ya think?

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  10:29:40 AM  Show Profile
I am a member of the American Sewing Guild (ASG)
We had a Community Service project this year of making Standard Size Pillowcases for Ronald McDonald House!
Pillowcase dimensions were measured at 21” x 32” and were made of 100% cotton in children’s prints and bright colors. No embellishments because these cases need to be washed often. And, some of the children have very delicate skin or face and head bandages. Also, we had to do french seam. They do not want loose threads or anything that a child could snag an IV line on. Most of the fabric I used was from my personal stash. The wackier the colors, the more they were liked them. It was and still is a great way to help cheer up some otherwise sick little children.

My question is: Who is Alex and what is TQS?
And, would we want to do this as a Farmgirl community project?

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  05:45:56 AM  Show Profile
I would really love to do this as a Farmgirl Project. I just moved, and I'd love the feeling of sisterhood.
~ MAryLD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile
It would make a lovely farmgirl project, Mary. Good suggestion.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  09:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I agree. Does anyone here want to volunteer to organize and lead us in this project? I can't, I'm finishing up a couple swaps I'm hosting already.
We could do a sew-along and share by pics what we make...OR send them to one address-the hostess(mamma) and she can mail them all to the headquarters. I would suggest contacting the info on the website for suggestions as to how we could do our part.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I would not mind hosting this project.
I just sent an email asking if there was a specific pattern that they use.
When I receive a response I will ask how and where they might like them shipped.
If they do not need a specific pattern, I will gladly make copies of what I used in my guild. Very simple.

I guess I better find out how to make this an official Farmgirl Project too.

I have a very soft heart when it comes to sick children. I have in the past donated more then I could afford.
I will now be looking in the fabric stores for 100% cotton cute juvenile fabrics and bright and cheery fabrics. A pillowcase will probably take ½ yard for the main case. Maybe a 10 strip to the edge (that’s not the right word. I just can’t think of it now) and a 2 inch strip for piping. (If you wanted to get a little fancy)

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I saw the basic patterns on the site....there is a more advanced one called hot dog in a bun...(I think it's just with a liner so no seams are open)....check it out and tell me what ya think.

I'd do the plain regular pattern and either french the seams or sew down the inner seams. It's 2 kinds of fabrics with one being the border.

Sounds like lots of fun....I noticed that they said to keep in mind that teenagers need them and teen boys are to be considered.
Thanks for hosting this Kathy!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Linda. I found it too!
My guild did the "hot dog bun" pattern. Its realy not that hard. I have one pillowcase at home. Right now I am busy working. (Just don't tell the boss that Im on the internet and not doing office work.) When I get home, or most likely tomorrow, I will post a photo.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Sorry this took so long to post..
Here are two pillowcases that I made. The first, with green frogs,Was made a while ago. The next I just stitched up this evening.

These were both made with the "hot dog in a bun" pattern.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81

Edited by - khartquilt on Dec 04 2009 5:48:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Karen:
Nice pillowcases. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
really nice!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

Brownie Lady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  06:39:13 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am quite textile/sewing challenged (or impaired, take your pick), but I am going to be out today and will get fabric to attempt to make one. IF it turns out, I'll be sure to show it off here once I finish.

If those Brownie Scouts pictured on the web site can do this, surely I can, right?

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  07:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Go for it Vanessa...I am very proud of you for starting this! I have a feeling that more detailed pictures of directions would help too. Maybe someone can put something like that here on this site.

I wont' be able to make anything like this until after the holidays. But I am watching this forum and sending moral support to ya'll!!

I am also looking for the original site I got this info from...it was a sewing site...but can't remember where.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile
If those of you that are interested in making pillowcases still want to do this...well lets get started.
First: should I start a new thread?
Second: Where should I post it?
Third: Would you like to send them in to a local collection station yourselves or send them on to me so we can ship them altogether? (if I send them in, I would like to do it in lots of no less then 25)
And Lastly: I will try my best to make a photo tutorial on how to make both the standard and the hotdog bun one.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kathy, yes you could start a new thread so it can be edited by you. I can make a note in the title of this thread to see the new thread.
I think it would be nice to have some sent together from MaryJane's Farmgirls.
I could commit to make one start with. This could be posted in the Stitching and Crafting forum, don't ya think? This way the sewers would notice it better.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  05:08:01 AM  Show Profile
bump

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  05:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the bump! This could be a new year thing to do. I plan to do volunteer work this year.

Linda in Scranton, PA

I see trees of green and red roses too...skys of blue and clouds of white, and I think to myself...what a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  05:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh Linda!! God Bless you HONESTLY!! This just warms me through and through!

Obviously, I have quite a bit of personal experience here and it is SO true how colorful pillowcases change the energy in the hospital room. What a wonderful idea this is and I think donating to this organization, or the Ronald McDonald House or CandleLighters or SuperSibs would be perfect venues for something of this nature! Soooooo fantastic. The SuperSibs organization is one people don't often think about or know about because the focus is clearly on the kids with cancer, but let me tell you, the OTHER kids in the family need special attention too.

The pediatric cancer experience affects entire families and the healthy kids are often left out. People try to do for them but its hard because the focus HAS to be on the one with cancer..thank goodness for organizations like Supersibs that help take the pressure off and focus on siblings by brightening their days too!!!

Your pillowcases were just BEAUTIFUL..they looked like presents!!

Aria was given a quilt by a sewing guild here in town...I've never met any of the women and ought to find out who they are so I can send them a thank you. It is the most wonderful quilt with Aria's, Reo's and Rianna's names stitched into it. I was overwhelmed to have received it..

It is the most extraordinary experience to be on the receiving end of the generosity of complete strangers. The feeling of complete vulnerability is so so so humbling...

You have just made my day!
Much love to you and yours, ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm on board! Please also consider posting for donations of fabric. I gave away sooooo much fabric to a charity group when I was in way over my head with a busy homebirth practice. Now that I am needed at home, we are on one income with an almost zero craft budget.
I have enough fabric to make a few teen pillowcases anyway- masculine themed. I can make a ton though, one way or the other!
~ Mary LD
Texas

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Any news on this project? I'd like to get started!

Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Mary,
See the below link. I have already sent in all the pillow cases I received and made.
There was close to 50.
I have not heard anything back from them.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37954

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic pillowcase for sick kids Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page