kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  05:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Do I just have a bad flock of hens? What's the problem here? I have gone through 2 50 pound bags of laying crumbles since I put them up and have only gotten 6 eggs from one hen so far. Those are VERY expensive eggs! But very good, I might add. I might need to try the light but other than that, what's up with these chickens???? They are 7 months old now and should be dropping eggs all over the place.

I am getting very frustrated here with these girls. What can I do? Oh, and it's not even really cold here yet, either. And the pen is facing south so gets all day sun and a nice sunset to boot.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 03 2009 06:18:20 AM

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris, My hubby said that we were getting 1 egg a day until he put a light in there. He said we are getting an average of 3 or 4 a day now. We have 6 hens about exactly the same age of yours.
I can't wait until I am able to walk out there myself. I am just 1 week in on my knee replacement.

Kris, Thank you so much for the card. I got it yesterday. You are so thoughtful. I wish we lived close by to each other.
Hope you get more eggs today!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  06:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I'm so glad to hear you are doing better. Take it easy and let hubby do all he can for you! I'm sure tou'll have to do for him one day.

That's good you're getting so many eggs now. I guess I'll have to try the light. I'll have to run a very long extension cord out there, though. And how long do I leave it on? Like turn it on at sunset? Do you have to feed them more then? I think I'm going to go broke feeding these girls.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  06:21:17 AM  Show Profile
gena so glad to hear you are on the mend. what a big surgery. kris if the girls are not under 16 hours of light they will not think its spring. no egg laying in winter unless you fool them. they are laying their future babies. they need to think long warm days ahead to begin regular laying. sometimes in the begining you will get a few eggs without light, but that will dwindle to nothing if no light. young chickens will lay in winter sometimes but it really goes against their nature. lights lights are needed. also my book says they need their minerals to to lay regular and of course grit. in winter i also feed pork fat, not a lot but it helps when the bugs are all gone from the cold. just a thought or two. sherrye
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile
They have to have 14 hours of light or they will quit laying. I put a light on mine around 5 and go out and turn it off just before I go to bed. However, some hens take longer to start laying. I have Buff orpingtons and they were all close to 8 months before they started laying. Also is it possible that they are laying the eggs somewhere else? I have three that will lay in the nest but one just lays in random places in the yard. If I feel up to it I look for the egg otherwise I leave it for whatever wild animal decides to eat it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I caught all my Buffs about close to 3 weeks ago and put them out back in a big stall area in the goat barn. It's about 20'x15. They have NOT been out since. They have a nester in there and that's where I have found the eggs. There is no where else in there. I've looked. I will be getting a light set up as soon as I can. I have heard that Buffs will lay all winter. That's why I got these. They are huge birds. I guess they just take a bit longer to get going.

Thanks for all the help.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  08:48:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody for your kind words.

Kris, Since it is my hubby that put the light in the hen house, I know he probably turned it on and it hasn't been turned off since! I just don't get those men folk. He never quite does things like I would do them. I am not going to complain, he is the only person that can take care of all MY critters right now. If he had his way we wouldn't have ANY farm animals. He says "my" hobby is killing "him".

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:10:18 AM  Show Profile
I know! I think that's why mine drives a truck. So he won't have to do all that needs to be done around here. He's not dumb!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:22:30 AM  Show Profile
How much light do you have, they need 12 to 14 hours for good laying. We are going to put a light in as our days are so short now in the winter and we aren't getting a whole lot of eggs compared to this summer :-(

It is getting cool here too but I try to let them out for a little each day, so they get their daily exercise as well as their dose of Vitamin D ;-)
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  2:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristin mine layed all last winter!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  06:21:34 AM  Show Profile
I went out to feed this morning and there were 2 eggs!!!!! I know they are from 2 different hens because they are a different color. How exiting! And it's a big one. They were still warm, too. So they had to have been just laid.

Poor little Summer and Hildi look horrible. They just keep loosing feathers. They are a little older than the Buffs but not much. I hope the Buffs don't look like these 2 girls when they molt. I almost want to put a chicken jacket on them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  07:54:35 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are so lucky you have some warm all winter. We are going to get our light in which will make a big difference I know. Had 4 eggs though yesterday, yippppeeeee

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  07:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Hooray!! They should all start laying now. We average 4 eggs a day now.
You are so funny. I can just picture chicken jackets!!

Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Well heck there are doggie clothes why not chicken coats. except they would probably peck them off each other.
Rae- Do you use a heat lamp or anything when it is in the 20's and below? It is getting really cold here.
Kris- yahoo!!!! Finally - EGGS!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  11:35:05 AM  Show Profile
This is our first winter with the chickens but my hubby really insulated their mansion well. We are thinking just getting light in there will also help keep it warm. I know people around here have not every used a heat lamp so guess we will see what happens. So far it has been ok in there and the water has not froze at all. In fact a few times I have gone in my glasses have steamed up cause of the warmth!!! Hot chicks there, HA

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile
I just talked to my friend who bought my Barred Rock, Americana and Anconda hens a few weeks ago. She got a green egg, a white egg and a brown egg today! She does have a heat lamp on hers. So I guess they are all starting to catch on to what they are supposed to be doing here.

Rae, that's great! I hope I catch up to you soon.

I better hush and quit counting my eggs before they're laid. I don't want to jinx this. But I do have 6 eggs in my chicken basket on the counter.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile
You need a timer with a photocell. I get mine at Lowe's and last year they cost $10 each. Mine can be set for dusk to dawn, or 4, 6, or 8 hours. I set mine for dusk til dawn, that way on heavily overcast days the light comes on earlier. Even with the light not all of my girls lay during the winter.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  8:44:50 PM  Show Profile
We did put a heat light in last night it got into the low 20's. They all looked good this am. Today it only got to 24degrees with a wind chill. It was really cold. We have not had any change in there laying schedual but I am sure now it will change. We have Barred Rocks Americanas and Black Osterlaups.(Ya I always spell that wrong.)They are suck good girls I get brown and pink eggs. No green but I only have 2 americanas thou. Thanks for the info girls. It is our first year as well Rae.

Farmgirl# 868
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  05:17:14 AM  Show Profile
I got 3 eggs yesterday!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile
We had 10 degrees last night and girls were fine this morning with 1 egg so far. We are working on an outlet on garage so we can run a cord for the light so we get more eggs. Ground already froze so can't dig to put line right to the coop, next spring that will be #1 on list.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  10:30:07 AM  Show Profile
I was told by an old farmer neighbor when I first moved to the country to put a light in the chicken house and have it come on in the wee morning hours. Reason being you are still stretching daylight (artificially) but the coldest temps of the night are ususally in the times before sunrise. So if you let darkness come on at normal evening time and let them have their normal downtime then set the light to come on at maybe 3am. Then they warm up a bit and stay more comfy in the colder time of night. I am in Texas and it is not that cold but we were told that a 60 to 75 watt bulb is enough. Also, heat bulbs come in red and clear. Most birds do not see red so this warms them without changing their sleep cycle. To trigger the egg laying you need the clear light because they need to see the light.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  1:30:16 PM  Show Profile
LaVonna it really makes sense to have it come on early and as you said that is the cold part and it will have warmed a little before the real cold before sunrise. Thanks a lot for that info.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New Hens. Update! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page