Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you watch on TV? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  5:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Okay, okay, I know, most of us are so busy we don't watch TV BUT when you do watch, what is it? I watch BBC America which has a lot of the old English mysteries, FoodTV, Antique Roadshow, This Old House, Dancing with the Stars, CSI, (hang me from the gallows, I do confess to QVC sometimes), American Idol (sometimes), MSNBC, FOX, and lots of Discovery/History channel. Mostly the TV is on while I am doing something else like sewing, computer, cooking, etc. but I like having it on.

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  5:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm.... I love Sopranos and the new one that follows called Big Love. And in the day I like Oprah and Dr Phil, and the news. There isn't much in particular I go out of my way to see other than these, except The Dog Whisperer. I enjoy History/Discovery channel too, and always catch Cubs baseball, even watching spring training games.

Guilty pleasures are shows on HGTV, and all those Forensics Files on CourtTV. I don't do soap operas, although I did when my kids were little. And I don't do most network TV. Since we have the horses and can't get away much, we do splurge on the top package for DirecTV, as well as using Netflix these days.

It'll be interesting to see what people watch!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  5:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I am an avid fan of the NFL (National Football League) and will watch almost any game -- even old ones! The only series I watch regularly is "My Name is Earl", but my all-time favorite is "Law & Order". I used to watch it every night (on TNT) while grading papers, but since Christmas I haven't done that at all.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  6:50:29 PM  Show Profile
We got that Tivo option with our cable package. Both hubby and I LOVE it. We can be busy with jobs around the house and our favorite shows are taped and ready when we are. Hubby tapes New Yankee Workshop and Sci TV on Friday nites, I tape my English mysteries and several cooking shows plus "The Closer" on Tues nite which is great.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  7:58:12 PM  Show Profile
I don't usually watch TV at all during the day but I do like to watch Foodnetwork when I have the time. I LOVE Paula Deen, Emeril, Giada DeLaurentis and lots others. During the evening is when my favorite shows come on--I like The Shield, CSI, ER, and Lost. I also like to watch Discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  9:37:49 PM  Show Profile
I am not much of a tv watcher...but I do love Grey's Anatomy..which comes on 9pm on Sundays here...so I milk at 10pm sunday nights instead of 9pm...I think Mona understands. The rest of the time I let everyone else pick the shows. After everyone is in bed alot of times I pop in chick flicks if I am going to be stitching..but I don't pay alot of attention. We turned off the cable awhile back. Everyone but me misses it I think. I did like some of the cooking and crafts shows..but not enough to listen to the rest. We still get the major networks, and Fox and PBS without cable..so I see enough. I used to just love Everybody loves Raymond..but without cable I don't get the reruns anymore..I think I have seen them all more than once by now anyway.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  04:30:21 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, you probably haven't lost much. There are nights where we have 300 channels and still have *nothing* to watch.

Books are good. So's looking at each other.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  04:33:30 AM  Show Profile
We don't have cable or satilite so we are limited.During the day if the TV is on it is on PBS For the Kids shows. I like one show during the day "Starting Over" it come on 2 times so I can watch it in the morning OR afternoon. I let this be my time and I get to sit and watch tv (and usually fold clothes while I am watching)
We have a few shows me and my husband like Navy NCSI,House,Lost,Survivor others we will watch just if we feel like doing nothing after a long day of work/farm /kids. We might watch shows like dancing with the stars, american idol,PBS stuff etc but they are not shows we drop what we are doing and "Must See" . I am glad we don't have cable /satilite because I am afraid it would be watched way to much.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  05:01:20 AM  Show Profile
My favorites are Vicar of Dibley and As Time Goes By, which are on PBS. My Sat. night indulgences! And, of course, Cubs games -- woo hoo! Can't wait for the season to start.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  05:15:18 AM  Show Profile
I agree that Tivo is great!! We recently gave up our satelite dish and haven't missed it too much - except the weekend morning Food Network and HGTV shows. Plus DH pulled all of this season's Gilmore Girls off the internet (don't ask me how) so we're all caught up and can discuss it with MIL, SIL and neice, all avid fans. Our must-see shows are Extreme Makeover-Home Edition (always good for a Sunday night cry), Grey's Anantomy, Amazing Race, Lost, Survivor, ER, My Name is Earl and The Office. I must admit, I love TV, even though I am an avid reader. It's even the reason I give to lighten the mood when people ask why we chose not to have kids - "Then you have to watch what they want on TV". But all that aside, I am happy we gave up the satelite. We did it for financial reasons but deep down inside, I like the simplifying aspect of it.

Katie - I wish our PBS carried Vicar of Dibley, we love that show!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  2:34:31 PM  Show Profile
My only must see program is Gilmore Girls, everything else is okay, but don't have to watch. Occasionally I watch CSI,Smallville and House. I like some of the specials on PBS. HGTV - some decorating shows if they are not repeats, the Food channel - $40 a Day with Racheal Ray. We only have the basic dish, mostly so we can get good reception, couldn't even get the local channels without it. If there is something special movie wise, we rent it.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  05:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
There are very few shows I drop what I am doing to watch. I do enjoy CSI on Thursdays, but once reruns start, we will generally watch something else. We do like Soprano's, and HBO makes it so easy to catch by re-showing each episode all week. HBO's Big Love is quickly becoming a favorite too. We don't generally watch any reality TV, preferring shows like House, Law & Order, Crossing Jordan, and Criminal Minds. We also watch Discover, History Channel, and TLC, especially when reruns have started.

During the day, the TV is generally on just for noise, seeing as I am home alone, and usually I don't pay attention to what is on. I do like to have Dr. Phil or Oprah on, but don't insist that I have to watch. I do occasionally watch HGTV & TLC. I have never been one to watch soaps, but however once in awhile they end up on just because I haven't changed the channel.

I have been tempted to cancel the Dish service for summer. I am just not sure how hubby will take it. He does enjoy watching in the evening. During the summer it is a struggle to keep the kids from sitting in front of the TV. The summer I am planning on making the kids earn their TV time by doing extra chores, we will have to see how that goes.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  07:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Always first and foremost The Andy Griffith Show reruns twice a day if I'm not at work. Then, My Name is Earl, The Office and I confess, Desperate Housewives. Not much else that I really make an effort to watch...just keep the tv on sometimes for background noise while stitching or cleaning...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm surprised to see that so many people like My Name is Earl. It's one of the constants throughout the posts on this topic. I thought its appeal was more to young men. (But I would be watching it too if it didn't conflict with band practice.)
My husband and I have something of a love/hate relationship with our TV. When we moved into our house, the TV stayed up in the attic for the first 6 months or so. But gradually we've started watching again. Our only regular TV night is Sunday, when we watch Family Guy and American Dad from 9-10, and then he runs away while I watch Grey's Anatomy (he always asks, when I come to bed, how things are going on my "story"). When we're bored, we might watch Medium, Numbers, Law & Order, or Antiques Roadshow. My husband actually likes to check out the Lawrence Welk show, ostensibly because he likes spotting vintage instruments and mics. I think he mostly just watches it to torture me!
I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parent's house after high school, and sometimes I miss having more options. But my favorite station, hands down, is PBS. I loved the Frontier House and Colonial House series, and you'd be suprised at the great live music you can see
sometimes. Just recently, I saw the Pixies (!!!) playing live, and a great documentary about Parliament Funkadelic.

Amie
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  09:12:50 AM  Show Profile
We don't have cable but we got some ugly bunny ears up for when we do watch TV. I can't miss Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Saturday night PBS for As Time Goes By, BallyKiss Angel, and Miss Marple. I just love PBS, BBC, CBC and WB. I just finished watching Monarch of the Glen and Inspector Lynley Mysteries, great shows. I like Lost too. I usually sit down with knitting or crocheting while I watch.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile
I love Australian tv and the WE channel carried a great show about australian women running a cattle & sheep ranch. It was on sat. night at 10pm, the only night I really watched any tv. They ran it for 3 seasons and just cancelled it. Im lost, It's called Mcleods Daughters and it is hands down the best TV show on the air as far as Im concerned. WE c/a it and now they show Daddys little spoiled girl and other reality "junk". There is nothing on tv like that show, very empowering and if you like horses, sheep & strong women, you'd have loved it also. Im so mad at WE, I'll never watch them again.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  1:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I loved McCloeds Daughters. It was an empowering show!

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  2:35:14 PM  Show Profile
I've cut down drastically the amount of TV from what I used to watch, now it's pretty much just NCIS, and then Friday nights have recently been date night to watch with hubby. I've got him watching Ghost Whisperer, In Justice and then Numbers. Other then that it's occasionally HGTV or the Learning channel and Hallmark for the occasional movie.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  2:54:51 PM  Show Profile
When I see what a variety of TV appeals to our group, I begin to understand why there are some of the programs there are. When I click through, sometimes I ask myself, why in the world is this show on? But then others love it! Isn't that fascinating? What a science it must be to provide good stuff for everyone!

To myself, I think really, we should just turn it off. Then a hurricane comes, and I am glued to the Weather Channel....ha-ha!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  3:45:12 PM  Show Profile
I canceled my cable a while back because it was expensive so I got out of the habit of watching TV but my roommate just hooked up his satellite with the DVR recording thingy and it is truly the coolest invention ever....and also the biggest time-sucker. I rarely watch anything when it's actually on anymore but we record CSI, The Daily Show, Free Ride (about a guy who graduates from college in CA and goes back to his parents' house in Missouri-pretty funny), The Office, Family Guy, South Park, and an anime show called Trigun. The only stuff I ever watch live is Scrubs and Lost....I'm so addicted to those two shows! I've managed to steer away from Desperate Housewives for this long because I know I would give up everything else on Sunday nights just to watch if I ever got hooked. TV is a wonderful, horrible thing!

The Sewing Girl at MaryJanesFarm
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a television - when we moved to the farm about 7 years ago, we (OK, I) decided that we could just 'try' it without, and now I am so busy that I don't really miss it. What I DO miss, however, is the occasional movie-watching, and also, I am so very embarassed about this one - a year or so ago, I watched "The Apprentice" at my parents', and then got hooked and went over to my neighbor's on Thursday nights to watch it....I'm trying to get over the embarassment of admitting that one!!!

One of the upsides is, however, that my little boy doesn't have the slightest idea who cartoon characters (one certain spongy creature and a large dinosaur...) are - it's really nice! No begging for "stuff" at the market or store...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  4:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Want to know something embarassing? I do not get HBO, but "Sex in the City" is on another channel on Tuesday nights, and I watch it! I like the women characters! Boy, what a waste, but still I like it.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  6:52:22 PM  Show Profile
My must see TV shows are the Gilmore Girls, Lost and Desperate Housewives. Except Desperate Housewives is on at 10pm Sunday night, so I usually have to tape it and watch it later in the week. Always watch the local news at dinner time, that guarantees that hubby and me always have something to talk about in the evening! And always watch CBC Newsworld to catch up on international news.
But I agree too that there is nothing better than reading. Every night before bed, no matter how tired I am, I always try to get in a few pages.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Glad to see there are other NCIS fans out there. It's just about the only thing I make a point to see. I do enjoy The Vicar of Dibley but have lost it's time slot. Saturdays did you say?I watch HGTV during the sewing,laundry or ready to just fall asleep time of day. Hubby is the TVaholic mostly CNN. and the BRAVES games. Mostly he watches and I read, but we sit together.

Happy Watching, Teddie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile
MOVIES mostly .. and sometimes .. just 'silly sitcoms' .. also love history and nature shows.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  04:39:04 AM  Show Profile
This has been a great read. I'm sorry that I can't add anything exciting.

I'm a huge news nut....mostly national and international....so, "Fox and Friends" is the first thing on in the early morning. I check in again at lunch and then again in the evening. My hubby is a news and politics nut, too. But, his channel of choice is ESPN. Now that ESPN has ESPN2 all the way to ESPN99 (joking.....ha, ha), my hubby alwats has some current or classic sports event to watch.

We don't have anything that we watch on a regular basis. But, if we're inside the house on Sunday nights we watch Extreme Home Makeovers. Animal Planet and National Geographic channel are often "clicked' to. If it's late at night and I'm up stitching then I usually find some old detective show.

My daughters like "Phil of the Future" and "The Suite Life" on Disney Channel. These shows are replayed some 50 times a day and I think my girls would watch each and every one if I let them!

Blessings
Catherine

See, nothing exciting.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you watch on TV? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page