Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Will chickens effect cows? Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  6:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Hey everyone. I live on a dairy farm with my boyfriend. He's a full time farmer and he, his dad, his mom and his uncle run the farm. I dont work on the farm, i have my own job in town. (I know i'm babbling on but you need to know this info to know where i'm coming from.) I grew up with a few chickens in the back corner of the yard and i would collect eggs and i loved it because we always had fresh eggs. My boyfriend and i live in the farmhouse and his parents live in a house on the other side of the barn. (Its close, but not too close :)) Well, my point to this question is... I brought up the idea of me getting a few chickens to the BF and he was ok with it but wasnt all to sure about it because he knew it was alot of work and it was more work he would have to do if he ended up taking care of it. But he was ok with the idea and I was getting excited because i was going to be able to be more self sufficient. Well that got shot down real quick because the BF was talking to his dad and his dad told his mom about my idea. The BF told me the other day that we can't have chickens at our house because it does something to the cows. Thats all he said that his mother said. Now, something there just doesn't make sense to me. I'm new to the farm life so i'm not completely sure if shes actually telling the truth or she just doesn't want me getting any chickens. We live about 100 feet away from the parlor and about 75 feet away from the free stall barn. I only want like two chickens. SO... it is true that chickens effect dairy cattle??? OR am i being fed a line a bull cucky????

Sorry i had to vent a bit and i want to know if its true or not?

Thanks for listening

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  7:26:18 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about a big dairy, but a few chickens should not be a problem. You could put them far enuf away where they wouldn't have anything to do with the cows. I have a friend with 2 Jerseys and she has chickens right next to the stall where she milks them. I don't think she's ever had a problem.

I do seem to recall someone saying something about chickens not being near where I milk my goats. But I leave the door open to the milk room when I am milking and I have had chickens come in. I think it might have something to do with the chicken manure getting too close to the milking equipment. You do need to be careful of contaminating all that. I always wash down all the stanchions and sweep every day.

But really. Put a hen house downwind and far enuf away from the dairy that it won't be a problem and everyone should be happy. And only a few should not be such a big deal.

Good luck and I hope you are able to talk them into letting you have some. Every farm needs a few chickens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  7:39:41 PM  Show Profile
The "ONLY" possible problem is contamination in the milking parlor, but that goes for any animals getting in there, dogs, cats , rats/mice, etc. If you have a couple of hens in a coop somewhere away from the dairy barns, there won't be a problems. To tell you the truth, I think BF's mom is full of it, and just doesn't want any chickens, or doesn't want "you" having any chickens, since you are the GF, not the wife????

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  8:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is an interesting article that talks about using chicken litter in dairy pastures. There are some issues but usually only a problem in wide spread use not just a small flock of free ranging chickens.
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/dairy/12503.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  11:41:05 PM  Show Profile
I have my hens (penned with an enclosed run for protection from dogs) near my cow. I know I wouldn't want them to roost on her water or on her hay feeder for fear she would get sick from their droppings...but besides that I don't see a problem. My hens get their "outside time" daily when I am out back and I have never had a problem.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  07:20:26 AM  Show Profile
alee great article on poultry manure. i learn new things every time i get on here. thanks to all the info from all the farmgirls alike sherrye
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  5:59:40 PM  Show Profile
claudia....does your milk get "picked up" for sale to a dairy? We have chickens and milk cows. Our milk goes to our local dairy for processing. the chiken poop can give the cow a false positve test for bovine t.b it doesn't hurt the cow or affect the milk but it does come up when tested and therefore your dairy (if that's where your milk goes ) could refuse to pay you for your milk.
hope that makes sense

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  9:02:56 PM  Show Profile
What 1badmamawolf said about the BF's mom. I don't quite see what a couple of hens would do that were completely away from the parlor at all times. I don't know a thing about cows and chickens together but I could understand if they were intermingling but to be so far apart?? Don't think so. However, do your research and keep in the back of your head, the BF's mom thing...

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  11:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i grew up next door to a small dairy (many many moons ago!) where they had chickens, cows and pigs on the same small farm. i know that today you cannot keep even one pig on a grade a dairy farm becuase of potential contamination but i have never heard of not allowing chickens. would they be free range or in a pen? i think that having a couple of penned up chicken would not present a problem. you could call the county extension agent and they should be able to give you the real poop on it! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  05:13:40 AM  Show Profile
I do remember now asking the guy who owned the dairy up the road where we used to get milk from why he didn'y have chickens. It was something like what Melanie said. He had inspectors there all the time. But yours would not be near the dairy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Nov 19 2009 05:14:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Will chickens effect cows? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page