Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 A ton of cats out at the horse barn...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A ton of cats out at the horse barn... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile
I knew we had a few cats but since I've moved my mare to another corral, I've noticed we have a LOT of kitties out there. Sunday, I counted about 5 and then today, there are two more. The young ones look like older kittens and mama is teaching them to hunt. They are cuter than bugs ears!!

I put out a chicken carcass and all the cooled gravy for them and now they seem to think that I'm pretty cool. I want to buy cat food for them but then I want them to keep the mouse/vole population down. Mama cat just looks so skinny but her eyes are bright.

It was really cute to see her scout out some territory (going almost underneath my chow-eating mare) and then give some sort of signal to her young'uns (two orange-y ones, one with 4 white feet!) that it's okay to forge ahead.

I talked with one of the ranchhands and he said there are more out at the hay barns. I know that some of the kittens won't make it to adulthood and that's the way it is. To catch them would be almost impossible. We're not inundated after all these years this ranch has been here so I'm not worried about over-population. There are cougars and coyotes roaming around in the treeline so that has to factor in too. Kinda sad to look at them and wonder who is going to make it and who isn't.

For right now, though, they are a delight!

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  8:03:06 PM  Show Profile
winona:
I bet those kitties and the mama cat loved the chicken and gravy. Just feed them cat food once a day, they'll still catch the rodents. Mine do.
Of course my outside cats eat three times a day, they do catch the rodents but just as gifts for me their mommy!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  8:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh, snap!! A present, eh?? Well, that can't be any worse than the almost 300 mice my hubby has caught around our house! I am buying some cat food, can't stand it, have to buy some food for them!!

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  04:53:06 AM  Show Profile
You are right to buy them food. Cats will always hunt even if they have eaten. And they can do a better job if they are healthy. In our area we have a program for spaying and neutering a feral population. The shelter comes and traps all the cats, spays or neuters, vaccinates, checks em out and keeps em overnight, then you bring them out and let them go back home. It is really a wonderful program.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A ton of cats out at the horse barn... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page