kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone make there own carrot juice? Without a juicer.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile
YUCK I know that it is good for you and all but my Grammy would give us carrot juice all the time and it was just the worst I think. We would pour it out the window onto a rose bush it was the prettiest rose in the world.. But she did use a juicer.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  6:15:42 PM  Show Profile
oh my Diana!! Maybe I will just steam them and eat them instead. I just figured if you mix enough stuff in with it, it would be fabulous!!! Im still thinkin positive Ha Ha
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Diana:
That post has got me giggling out of control. The poor rose bush, did it turn orange!!!!! What a hoot.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  7:00:07 PM  Show Profile
No wonder that rosebush looked so good. Just think of all that Vitamin A you were giving it! Retinol A baths!!

When my Mom had a hiatal hernia several years ago, I used to make carrot/apple juice for her every day, using my Jack LaLanne juicer. It was a big job, and getting it over to her retirement home without spilling it all was a real chore for my son (!), but we managed. Between the carrot/apple juice, some acidophilus sprinkled onto her oatmeal or whatever each morning, and a digestive enzyme and some iodine drops, we took her away from that hernia in less than two weeks. She never again had a problem and her doctor was MAD! He kept telling me it wouldn't last or it wouldn't work or whatever. The carrot juice was great for helping to balance her immune system and that is located in your gut.

Lightly steaming carrots and eating them is a fabulous idea, too. The juice is quite sweet, which is why most kids like it (except those who dump it out the window!). I hardly ever use my juicer right now because produce is very expensive here, and we had such a wet year that not much stuff grew very well, so even the local stuff was priced out of sight.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  7:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Deb i would love to have a juicer but for now the steamer and blender will have to do. You and I are not that far apart state and climate wise. Ya wet was the word here too. It must have been just enough warmer here, I had a good crop but my tomatos really took it early and late, blight (spelling) city. I had a few carrots this year but I found them $1.99 for 5 pounds at Nofrills this week. so I went for it.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  06:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Run them through the blender, but I would add an apple. It is amazing how it cuts the bitterness of the carrot. (That's what I call the taste.)

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic carrot juice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page