Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Instead of canning 'maters, froze them instead
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Instead of canning 'maters, froze them instead Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  9:09:25 PM  Show Profile
So, now I know. Next year, I know what to do about canning and cooking the maters down on the wood stove.

My maters did cook down to a nice consistency but I had to throw out a few jars cuz I just didn't like how they looked or smelled, better safe than sorry!

So, by the time the maters were cooked down, I didn't have that much left and since I'd already used some of my frozen mater sauce, I had room in my freezer. So, I just poured the cooked down maters into the containers and popped them in the freezer.

Next year, I know to grow mainly Roma maters for canning plus a few cherry maters, cuz they are a great snack when I'm coming in from the barn!

I have learned!!

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  3:52:14 PM  Show Profile
Ya I have froze some tomotoes and they were great but I tried it with romas this year and they got slimmy on me. I will ususally blanch them and then freeze them until I havve enough to make salsa. All other types of tomtoes worked great that way.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Instead of canning 'maters, froze them instead Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page