Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 photocopying or printing onto fabric
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic photocopying or printing onto fabric Next Topic  

rivergirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

mackenzie
boise ID
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried photocopying or printing off a computer onto fabric? I have some projects in mind (make copies of some neat vintage Christmas postcards I have and stitch these onto old quilt squares) but I am confused about the different products. There are photocopy transfer papers, whch you then iron onto the fabric, and there are actual copy fabrics...I am wondering which lasts longer, any feedback at all.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  11:24:20 AM  Show Profile
I did some of the iron on kind last year and it worked just great. I was a room mother in my daughter's class and for teacher appreciation week I did a small pillow for her teacher with the class picture ironed on unbleached muslin, with a ruffle of calico around the edge..then I took an ultrafine sharpie marker to school and had each child sign the back of the pillow for the teacher as a keepsake. My girlfreind here in town does the quilts with the iron on alot from pictures. They turn out great. Just remember if you do lettering to be sure to reverse the image. I don't remember now how I did it, but I had to do it with the class picture..since it has each child's name under the picture and the name of the school and all...

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2004 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Jenny. The iron on transfer stuff seems to become part of the fabric, where the print on always seems more surface mounted and more likely to flake or peel. We did a memory quilt with photos this way for a teacher who was retiring and it turned out just great!
Another friend did pillow tops with family photos sort of interspersed in the crazy quilt pattern was very happy with the results! The one thing I tried and did not like was that liquid transfer stuff, too hard to get the paper all off and it left the fabric very stiff. Your idea sound sounds cute, I have collected holiday postcards for years and that would be a great way to use them without damaging the original. Good luck with your project!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

rivergirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

mackenzie
boise ID
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2004 :  4:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. For anybody else looking into this sort of craft, I found a seller on ebay who is listing pages of already printed vintage Christmas images at a reasonable price (if you don't have access to a copier or printer, or a store to buy the transfer paper, it's not cheap!) I searched under "primitive Christmas."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Susan
New Port Richey FL
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2004 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile
We bought some transfer paper for the printer and printed pictures off the computer. Then just iron them on to t-shirts or whatever! Turned out nice and a fun project!

Happy holidays!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  09:19:47 AM  Show Profile
I am a room mom again this year and will be doing a class picture pillow again tomorrow (differnt teacher than last year of course) it is such a fun project and the teachers always are so happy with it. (even if they got the same thing each year it is a different class!) thought I would bump this subject back up so if anyone needed a class end of year thank you gift for the teacher they could do this too. We have teacher appreciation week this week.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  09:36:50 AM  Show Profile
What a neat idea Jenny! My daughter is in middle school now and her class size is 300! If she were in elementary school I would do something like this!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic photocopying or printing onto fabric Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page