Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Vintage Christening Gowns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Vintage Christening Gowns Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  6:35:41 PM  Show Profile
I have been "mucking out" this month, and my attention turned to my old cedar chest... I pulled out a christening gown my paternal grandmother had sewn for my father in 1924...Simple yelloed white cotton, lomg sleeved with small hand sewn , hand made lace around the neckline, cuffs and hem. French seaming so perfect nothing is fraying after 80 years and tiny exquisite embroidered flower spray on the bodice. My father was the first born son and certainly was cherished... This was one of the precious items I was handed down after her death in 1989 at the age of 91... also a box of old buttons, some beautiful Barbie clothes she made for my Barbie with tiny little buttons and a herbarium... a collection of botanical specimums she gathered from Iowa meadows the spring of 1912 at the tender age of 15 for a high school botany class. One of the flowers she gathered was dated April 14, 1912 the day the Titanic sunk... How I long for the time my grandaughters or greatgrandaughters can cherish what is left behind for them... Perhaps this forum and the strong and capable women who post here and all that MaryJane is working for will make that possible...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  08:16:51 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
Those are indeed treasures worth keeping and passing on to your own dear children.
I believe that if we continue in the work we feel we have been called to in this uncertain time that we will bring about the changes necessary to allow these treasured things to have heirs for passing on. The lessons we have learned and pass on will multiply! There is a mathmatic term that I can not remember right now but believe. As we put our minds together as a group for the changes we see are needed our collective mental energy has a powerful force to be reconed with!!
I carry this dream for my grown children as well as their children and beyond.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  3:02:02 PM  Show Profile
I have the one that my dh grandma made over 80 years ago. Every baby in the family has worn it. Even dh. I have it hanging the bedroom for decorations.
Kindly,
Elizabeth

Edited by - Elizabethq on May 15 2005 3:02:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  3:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, Your gown sounds very special indeed...They are works of art. Showing them as decoration is a great idea. How do you have it displayed? Because the fabric is so old and delicate I am afraid to display mine out...I am sure there is a way to preserve and protect the material from the environment, sunlight, ect...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  4:39:34 PM  Show Profile
My bathroom has no windows that bring in sunlight. So I have it on a baby hanger on a nail. It has been well cared for over the years. It has no yellow.
Hope this helps,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Vintage Christening Gowns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page