Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 A fun idea for quilters!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A fun idea for quilters! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  07:07:01 AM  Show Profile
A friend and I are rabid fabric shoppers and we quilt with a group who are worse than us! We are having the first ( we hope annual...)
"Scrappy Stitcher's Swap" this weekend. Each person gets a decorated shopping bag and they bring all the old bits and pieces of leftover, never used fabric, patterns, etc that they want to swap. Your bag must be as full when you leave, but with items you have swapped
for. There will be pot luck and we will probably end up quilting before the night is over. We already had to make extra bags as one of our regulars invited another group she belongs to, and they are all coming! (We made an instruction sheet and assigned everybody a category for potluck so there should be plenty of food and fabric!)
Whatever is unswappable will go to Good Will at the end of the evening. I'm looking forward to it, I hope it goes well!

with a happy heart

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  08:03:53 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  8:59:59 PM  Show Profile
wow...that does sound like fun..hmmmmm....bet that would work for a knitter's yarn exchange too!!! I would love to go to either..haha

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Give it a try! We had such a good time and everyone took home some new fabrics , new ideas! We should have called it "The Snappy Scrappy Stitchers Swap" as everything was parcelled out within an hour and we sat down to eat and stitch the night away. We got some lap quilt tops done for a children's shelter and they went home to get finished off with whoever had them last! (Think musical quilts...) I wish you all could have been there, we did have fun and the food was GREAT!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  1:32:17 PM  Show Profile
Musical Quilts! a good name for an organisation to get quilts to the homeless! Hmmmm
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile
Eileen I'm not really sure what you meant by that, but I can assure you that the quilts go to an emergency placement shelter where children are taken from custodial parents due to abuse, neglect, what have you and the quilt may become the only constant thing they have at that point in their lives. They take them with them when more permanent placement occurs. Quite a few of our quilting group members are helpers at the shelter with outings, birthdays, after school help and evening meals. We can't change the parental situations but we do
try to make an unbearable situation better in our own way.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile
both of my adopted sons came with nice hand made quilts from groups like that and they are their favorites still.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile
I worked as a social worker in a childrens home that was used as emergency placement. It was a Catholic Charities run organization and the nuns and ladies guild made the children quilts for the beds and the kids loved them. They would take them into the TV room and snuggle with them while watching TV. They were a warm and cozy thing in their little shattered lives...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls , this shelter is at a hospital of all things on a closed floor set up as a safe place. Many of the children come needing medical attention , so they receive that as well. Sad that all of us in such varied locations have children from our communities in desperate need of these shelters. Wish we could fix that dilemna.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  09:14:08 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
I just thought that "Musical Quilts" sounded like a great name for a group or guild dedicated to creating these little bits of comfort for homeless, helpless or otherwise needy people. I lived next door to a woman when I was first married who did just this. She spent every spare moment every day morning to night working on her quilting frame to provide beautiful quilts for the Womens shelter in Spokane. She is the one who with infinate patience taught me to quilt. I spent many happy hours learning at her feet. Several of the local churches in our neighborhood donated fabric to her for this project and on several days of the month groups of ladies would arrive at her door step and sit down at her quilting frame to assist her on these projects. Her living room consisted of one very large quilting frame suspended from the ceiling and about a dozen or so strait back chairs for sitting at the frame. She considered this her lifes work and lived to be 102 years old, never a day sick or in a nursing home. She lived all of her life in the same house where she grew up, married and raised her children.She raised a kitchen garden in her back yard every summer and had herbs growing all around her house.I learned more from this woman than anyone I ever knew. Her name was Edith.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A fun idea for quilters! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page