Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Why are my butternut squash starchy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why are my butternut squash starchy? Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone help me with this?!!!

Our neighbor planted a huge field of butternut squash and I have about 15 of them.
I cooked one a few days ago- split it and put it in the oven. Nice and tender, but it was so starchy we couldn't eat it!
We did have a cool, wet summer here, maybe that's why? Maybe they are not quite ready yet?
I hate to throw out(compost) the rest, but can't quite figure this out!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  09:11:11 AM  Show Profile
I don't think there's much you can do about this problem. I'm pretty sure the texture has to do with growing conditions. Around here we get "dry, starchy-like" produce if it's too dry and hot. Go figure.

Maybe adding a LOT of real butter would help!

-Deb

*You can also make your own homemade butter in 1/2 an hour. Thick cream (even the grocery store junk will work if that's all you have access to) 1 cup, pour it into a quart glass jar with a couple of marbles. Shake, roll, bounce, (whatever) continuously until the butter separates from the liquid. Usually 1/2 hour is all it takes. The trick is to keep it in motion ALL THE TIME. Make sure it's capped tightly and roll it on the floor with your feet until it's ready. Pour the whey into a separate bowl (use it for baking or making scrambled eggs or whatever) and rinse the butter until it rinses clean. Done!

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why are my butternut squash starchy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page