Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Stuff for kidding? Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all you goat ladies, What are some things I whould have on hand when my goat kids? I'm just trying to make a list and then go to the farm store. Thanks a bunch!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Channah, I have never had a problem with my goats kidding yet. I did have to help a doe a few years ago. She was pushing for over an hour when I finally decided I'd better help her out. I just pulled on him when she had a contraction and he finally came out. He was huge. But I just bring some towels to help dry them off, which isn't very neccessary when it's warm. I just like to do it and see what they are. Some people use iodine to put on the navel. But if it's cold out I wouldn't bother with that. When it's warm it just helps keep flies away. You need mallasis ( I sure wish I knew how to spell that!) and put some in a gallon bucket of warm water. You need a cell phone with good reception with a good vet on speed dial! A nice place away from other goats is nice, too. With plenty of straw for bedding. A garbage bag to put the afterbirth in. A pair of rubber gloves and petroleum jelly in case you need to go in and turn a baby. That's rare though.

When I first got goats I had all kinds of things for the births and never used them. You need to worm the day after she kids. Also if you know when she will kid, it's good to give the doe a shot of CDT 6 weeks before kidding. That way the kids get it in their systems. You might need probiotics and Vit. B complex, antibiotics. And there is something to give them if they haven't expelled the afterbirth after at least a day. I think it's Oxytosin maybe? Someone else will know.

But hopefully you will have easy safe deliveries and all will be fine.

Oh, if by chance a doe does not accept a kid you will need some colostrum. You can get that at any feed store. And a baby bottle will do when they are little. They need to nurse at least within 30 minutes after birth to get the colostrum they need to survive. So have some handy just in case. I never had to use any yet.

Read lots of goat books. They have lists of things to have on hand.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Stuff for kidding? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page