Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 How long can I go??!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic How long can I go??!!! Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  2:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Without the H1N1 flu that is!!!
It's all around us, at the stores I hear and see people coughing and sneezing, kids who don't cover their mouths or noses.
My elderly mom and dad had it a few weeks ago. It was actually pretty bad considering the elderly are supposed to be getting mild cases.
My second daughters family had it really bad a couple of weeks ago, I was exposed. My oldest daughter's family has it now, I was exposed last week. Still no flu!
However, today I went to Walmart, pulled out a cart, my daughter who lives with us is looking for the sanitizing wipes to wipe off the handle. I told her you have to take the cart and actually go inside to get them, but they are out of wipes! It made me mad that I had to do all my shopping wondering if I had picked up germs on the handle and they were somehow getting inside me! As soon as I got to the car I used my hand sanitizer.
I keep hearing about all these mild cases, but everyone that I know that has had it so far has had a bad case. My oldest daughter is pregnant and she looks terrible. Her 3 have all come down with it 4 days apart, the last one got sick last night. Of course her husband is no help.
Sigh...... just wondering how long I will be able to avoid this.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  07:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Lets make a pact... to decline the swine. Nobody in my immdediate family or neighborhood has it yet, but two of my coworkers have had close relatives come down with it.

I'm looking to do all my Xmas shopping online this year for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  08:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies...Brenda I missed meeting you, but I am a fellow western New yorker...so HOWDEEE!
Flu...ug!! I guess honestly for shopping trips we could carry some sort of wipes/spray in our purses to take care of those carts on our own terms.
A little fyi...my daughter woke up yesterday with all the symptoms of the flu. I called the dr just for advise thinking they wouldn't want her to come in. They DID want to see her and turns out she had a severe case of strep. (she is 17 and never had it b4). Guess we can't assume everything is the flu either.
Keep healthy girls!!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
If you haven't been tested for h1n1 you won't know what you've got. Not that it will matter.

This is an interesting expose from CBS News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/21/cbsnews_investigates/main5404829.shtml

-Deb

*** I love how the guy in the vid (from the CDC) dances allllll around the question posed by the reporter, but never really comes right out and answers until the reporter got sorta in his face about it. Woo-hoo! Go reporter!!

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Edited by - twink on Nov 11 2009 1:41:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  11:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Interesting...I know that my one coworker's husband was tested and definitely had it.

I've never had the flu at all, and I'm hoping my record stays unbroken this year.

At least until after 11/20, which is the big deadline for my work projects.
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  1:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I posted this twice, quite by accident. So, I'm deleting this way because the other way didn't seem to want to work.

-Deb

Edited by - twink on Nov 11 2009 1:36:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow Amie, where are you??!!! I want to come visit!! Decline the Swine, I like that!!! Okay, I will keep repeating it!
It is just all over in this area, I guess in between Rochester and Syracuse and then north. So many people I know have or have had it! :(
My grand children's pediatrician told my daughter that they are no longer testing for H1N1 around here, because there is just too much of it. They ask that you call, and if there are any problems they will see you but that's it!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  1:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Deb, that was pretty interesting. I know my dad had said that a lot of the what would seem "milder" cases probably aren't H1N1. Of the few people I know who have been tested around here, the entire families were testing positive.
On a side note- if the people I know don't have H1N1 or seasonal flu, I hate to think of what they do have that's making them so sick. :(

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Edited by - LakeOntarioFarmgirl on Nov 11 2009 1:49:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  5:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Brenda:
I hope that flu stays away from you! I hope your daughter is feeling better. I'm praying that my or my husband don't get it. No flu here, please!
Take care of yourself.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  5:23:21 PM  Show Profile
It went through our family Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. We're fine (and immune!). Not any worse than any other flu. I didn't come down with it as hard as my husband and children (our middle son also as asthma, he's fine and no hospitalization was ever required). Took Cod Liver oil every day, extra vita D, Vita C and ecinacea tea (sorry bad spelling on that one).

My parents are both seniors and are fine, my mom had it last week and it was pretty mild.

We also do not vaccinate in our family. Just remember the regular seasonal flu can also have bad results, don't panic b/c H1N1.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  6:13:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LakeOntarioFarmgirl

Deb, that was pretty interesting. I know my dad had said that a lot of the what would seem "milder" cases probably aren't H1N1. Of the few people I know who have been tested around here, the entire families were testing positive.
On a side note- if the people I know don't have H1N1 or seasonal flu, I hate to think of what they do have that's making them so sick. :(

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If people aren't tested, there's absolutely no way of knowing what they have/had. From what I read, the symptomatology has such a wide range that people could be sick with any number of things - it may have nothing whatsoever to do with the flu. So many illnesses have the same symptoms it would be impossible to eyeball someone and know. The medical industry needs to get off its dead arse and test if they want people like me to be a believer in this "epidemic" idea. It's a ruse. One thing that isn't being told (or wasn't) is that most of the fatalities from the h1n1 are people who already had at least one, if not multiple, underlying problems. They aren't blasting that from the rooftops, are they?

I could post so many links regarding this current flu scare that this would become a health forum! That's why I've directed people to read at my forum (the link below my name) because there's oodles of stuff there. Some you might agree with, some you might not. You don't have to become a member to read there, so feel free. I'm more of an alternative gal, so I tend to lean in that direction, as you can probably sorta tell from reading my posts here. ; ^)

I will warn you ahead of time that I tend to get radical about not using vaccinations. I have never believed they were the answer to anything. But that's another WHOLE story in itself ...

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  4:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Beemoosie, where are you? It's nice to meet you too, and 'tis glad I am to see other NY'ers here!
How is your daughter feeling, is she better?
My oldest grand daughter, Emma, 7, has pneumonia. My littlest grand daughter, Gracie, 4, has pink eye and ear infections. Both are as a result of having the H1N1 flu, which their doctor says given all their symptoms, family illness, length of sickness, is 99 % definite. No, she is not allowed to test, but this lady is definitely on top of things. She told my daughter, before she even started to give the girls their antibiotics, to get them on a good probiotic yogurt! Yay for her, I want to meet her! :)
Amazingly the middle daughter, who is usually pretty sickly, came through the flu with flying colors- well, if you can call having high fevers, a terrible cough, headache, and sore throat for a week that, then yes she did! She stayed here with Nana today, while mom took her sisters to the doctor.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I'm right in the city of Rochester for now. Feel free to shoot me an email if you ever want to get together and do something locally.
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile
I am in the medical field and I have read the report that the reason the young and pregnant are the most in danger and the older baby boomers are not in danger of getting H1N1 is because a form of the flu was present in the 50's and the 70's and we were exposed and build natural immunity to it. On the other hand I have been taking care of a new mother who has the H1N1 and I can honestly say that I got the vaccine because of my witnessing how hard it hit her. I hear everyday from the other MD's of ones they are taking care of and how hard and fast it hit the person. The nose swab is wrong about 50% of the time. It took two weeks for the CDC to say yes the one lady was positive. You can not count the amount of family and friends visited her before she got in strict isolation.

I would say if there is a friend or family in the hospital if you can get out of visiting them then do so. Where do people think the worst germs are - duh - in the hospital.

Washing hands and covering your mouth when you cough seems so simple, but I see women leaving the public bathrooms all the time without washing and watch multiple people cough without covering their mouths. So what are we to do? Who knows. I am a firmly believer of healthing eating and exercising to build your own immunities. Sorry so long and hard, but just wanted to vent.
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  8:04:38 PM  Show Profile
To me, the mere fact that hospitals are not stopping the victims of h1n1 from having visitors is very telling. I don't know anyone, personally, who has it or has had it, and that's a fact. But if I knew someone who had h1n1 and was confined to the hospital, WHY would I want to go "visit" them?? I mean, geez people, don't let fear and common sense stop you. Good grief... That reminds me of the old story about visiting the lion's cage at the zoo, reading the sign which says "do not stick your arm into the cage to pet or feed the lions", so the guy just stuck his finger into the cage instead, which he promptly lost to the lion.

If a vaccination for flu, any flu, suppresses the immune system (which is exactly what it does) what is your body going to use to fight off this flu? Just askin'.

-Deb

Edited by - twink on Nov 12 2009 8:15:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

MsTrekken
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Bonnie
Amherst VA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  7:48:38 PM  Show Profile
An adult friend of mine had the flu. She went to the doctor and he treated her for the....flu. He asked her if she wanted to be tested for the Swine Flu..at a cost to her of $300. She declined after learning from him that the test was so as to give the govt. information/statistics. It wouldn't make any difference in his medicating her! AGGGh!

May the good Lord bless and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  3:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, my daughter is much better thank you. She had strep and I kept her out of school two days with the Veteran's day holiday in between. Antibiotics, losts of sleep & fluids and she was off back to her busy ways!
I am about 45 minutes south of Rochester.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic How long can I go??!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page