Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Just say no to aspirin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Just say no to aspirin Next Topic  

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile
This is an excerpt from an e-newsletter I receive. I thought this was provocative reading and wanted to share. It's been rumored for some time now that the "baby aspirin a day" theory was flawed.

[excerpt]
A friend of mine told me she's going to start taking two baby aspirin every day. Dr. Oz told her to. Apparently this is his recommendation for everyone over the age of 40.

Why take two? A couple of years ago in an online chat for Readers Digest, Dr. Oz said, "The reason we give two rather than one is that many Americans are resistant to aspirin. And because the side effects are so minor, it makes sense to give double the dose."

First of all...Many Americans are resistant to aspirin? That's a truly bizarre comment. Europeans? Africans? Asians? No resistance there? What mysterious mojo is going on here that makes "many" of us resistant to aspirin?

And the side effects are so minor, it makes sense to double the dose?

Oz, don't you read those mainstream medical journals that come in the mail? You really should.

If you go back and check the March 7, 2005 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, you'll find the results of a 10-year study. In a group of more than 39,000 healthy women over the age of 45 with no cardiovascular problems, half took 100 mg of aspirin every other day and half took placebo tablets.

Results: Aspirin provided no protection from heart attack and only a slightly reduced risk of ischemic stroke. Side effects: In the aspirin group, risk of gastrointestinal bleeding severe enough to require transfusions was 40 percent higher than placebo!

And that was with 100 mg. You're recommending 162 mg every day.

Two years later, a British Medical Journal study showed that elderly people who took a low dose of aspirin daily had a sharply increased risk of bleeding in the brain or the gastrointestinal tract.

This cannot be said often enough: ASPIRIN SAFETY IS A MYTH!

Aspirin is a drug. Period. When this drug is taken every day, year after year, it increases risk of GI conditions such as bleeding and ulcers, kidney impairment, and hypertension in women.

Don't buy the hype, even when it's from good-looking TV doctors like Oz.
[end of excerpt]

Let me state unequivocably, that I don't waste my time watching Oprah (thus this OZ person) on TV. I'm sure glad I don't. Sifting through all the crap they toss out would be a full time job in itself, if you actually knew you should be questioning the advice. Most people have no idea that they SHOULD be questioning the advice of TV doctors, etc.

My motto: Question Authority...always. Especially if you have even an inkling of a doubt about their advice. Always check around. Just because they have alphabet soup behind their names doesn't mean they know what's best for everyone.

The other piece to this puzzle is that many MD's place their patients taking statin drugs (like Lipitor and Crestor and a few others) on this daily aspirin therapy. THAT is a complete no-no. Thing is, the doctors KNOW it's wrong but they prescribe it anyway. There may be 1 case out of 1,000,000 where it makes some sort of difference, but the risks far outweigh the benefits. I have personal experience with this because we took on the establishment when my Mom's doctor tried this. I was her healthcare POA and they weren't aware that I was aware...

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  6:02:05 PM  Show Profile
I agree that sometimes aspirin is misused or overused. It can cause bleeding in people with existing conditions such as ulcers, in fact can cause ulcers. It acts by thinning the blood. But used wisely it saves many lives from heart attacks and can help with ischemic strokes and claudication. Unfortunately like all things aspirin has potential side effects but I will take a baby aspirin as long as Im cleared to because heart attacks run in my family.

I think we will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. :)

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Nov 20 2009 6:01:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  3:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Who "cleared" you to take aspirin, and how did they clear you? I mean, on what did they base the efficacy of this practice?

We rarely use aspirin or Motrin around here, and NEVER tylenol. I probably haven't taken a half dozen Motrin in the past 10 years, and that's a fact. If I do decide I need one for something, I break them in half, sometimes even in fourths. Doseages of these things are incredibly off base. And then they have the increased milligrams in Rx doses?? Good grief.

I used to have a client who told me that she took 6 Motrin every day. I asked her why and she said because she has lots of body aches because she is a beautician and stands on her feet for many hours every day. I told her if she needs to take 6 Motrin every day for pain, she needs to see a doctor and get some sort of assessment because I think she had something else going on. She never did and just this past summer she was in the hospital because she has the beginning of kidney failure. She's 35 and has 2 kids and a husband. Her prognosis when I last spoke to her was 1 year at the outside.

My DH was an EMT for 35 years. He still thinks taking aspirin daily for "heart disease" is a total myth. Familial heart disease or not, the factors are different for each individual in the family. You are not your brother or your father...

And he just dies laughing when he hears the commercials on TV for the "81 mg baby aspirin therapy" stuff.

Edited by - twink on Nov 20 2009 7:10:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  4:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Not trying to start anything, I am just curious on what expertise and schooling you and your husband have to over ride a Docters orders? I was born and raised on a farm, and married, had 4 children , and rasied them on my farm/ranch. I don't believe in going to a docter for every little sniff and ache, but I do belive in preventive medicine and comman sense. I am as organic as humanly possible, no drugs or chemicals are here, and never were, didn't smoke or drink alcohol and all of this did not stop my husband from getting pancriatic cancer, when he was diagnoced, it was stage 3, and yes we had 2 more opinions. Your opinions and ideals might be right for you, and some others, but not all, and I think poopooing others is not only wrong, but dangerous for them.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  6:24:35 PM  Show Profile
I didn't poo poo anybody. I just think people need to start taking their own health into their own hands and the only way to do that is to do a lot of research into some of the practices being used by the current medical industry and to question some of the practices we tend to take for granted (which we should never do). We are not static beings. We are not all the same, and yet when doctors prescribe drugs it's usually the same doseage for each adult. Who is to say that you need 50 mg of something and I need 50 mg of the same thing? I might only need half that much but we aren't given that option. So (example) when I have a reaction to some drug, would I have had a reaction at 1/2 the doseage? Would it have worked at 1/2 the doseage? Did I even need the drug in the first place? I mean, these are all questions no one ever asks their doctor.

As I said, my DH was an EMT for 35 years (as well as a fireman for the past 25) and he has seen more than his fair share of doctor related boo-boos (iatrogenic).

Me, I'm just someone who has done an enormous amount of research (mostly at the library and using medical journals) because I'm interested in finding out why we are like sheep where doctors are concerned. I totally, totally believe in emergency medicine and certain surgeries, etc. But there is just so much hype in the current allopathic world that it's downright scary.

Sometimes it takes someone like me to broach a subject like aspirin therapy or the uselessness of some "standard" tests that are almost considered routine, to make others start to think about the possibility that maybe our medical industry isn't always right. I've had trials and tribulations to go through (medically) with both of my parents and I had to fight tooth and nail to get what I wanted for them. I truly have to think that they both lived YEARS longer than they would have without my help and persistence.

Do you remember the first time someone told you that you could brush your teeth with baking soda instead of toothpaste? What was your reaction? Did you believe it? That's sorta how it works with trying to get people to think in different terms about nutrition, exercise, chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, TCM and especially current allopathic medicine.

-Deb

Edited by - twink on Nov 20 2009 7:10:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  6:50:29 PM  Show Profile
As far as brushing my teeth with baking soda, I always have, never used store bought toothpaste,lol.
As far as people taking healthcare into their own hands is fine for some, but lets face it, not all of us have the intelligence to do so. One of my sisters is a surgical RN, been one for 28 yrs, she works at what is considered one of the top hospitals in the nation, Universtity of Springfeild, Mo., and yes Docters make mistakes, she would atest to that, but so do nurses, and any and all human beings on this planet.Another Rn I know, works at one of the top tramua centers in So. Cal. as a tramua er rn,oh and shes a charge nurse ontop of that, and she also will tell you , we are human, we make mistakes, but that is why we have others working along side of us, to try and prevent mistakes.They all continue with their educations regulary, and will until they retire. Also a good docter will tell you to get a second opinion, and if he/she doesn't, I would find a new one.
My middle son is a wildlands firefighter, and also is EMT certified, and I would trust his instincts out in the field, but he would NEVER think about overriding a Dr's orders, or think he knew best, and yes I realize that sometimes an EMT has no choice but make an educated guess, and hope they are right, with no damages down the line.
As far as meds and dosages go, medicine is a ongoing learning experience for all in the field, and always will be, but I would never go to a library taught person, even one who has done enormous amounts of research over a Licensed Dr., or even over a nurse practioner, that would be foolish and just plain stupid.
My whole point here is that i don't want someone to read something here and think , "wow, drs are quacks, I think I will just research my problem, and make it go away", cause that could be the death of someone.
I am a retired licensed sugical vet tech by the way, so i do have a good sense of medical practice, atleast on hogs and dogs, lol.
In closing I will say, "we will just have to agree to disagree"

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  6:58:19 PM  Show Profile
It's sad that you can't get trusted, honest information from anywhere anymore. There are too many sources and you never know what to really believe. But the rule of thumb i have is believe the worse on drugs. I"ve had to take perscriptions that in some case have been worse off then without them.

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  7:18:00 PM  Show Profile
I simply said people need to start paying attention and asking questions; if posting articles that some won't agree with is what it takes to get them to start paying attention, it's a small price to pay to argue my point (a little bit!), IMHPO. Heck, it might even be the first time some people even think about the fact that they might need to question some of the practices that are considered "routine".

LOL.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Miss2Missus

It's sad that you can't get trusted, honest information from anywhere anymore. There are too many sources and you never know what to really believe. But the rule of thumb i have is believe the worse on drugs. I"ve had to take perscriptions that in some case have been worse off then without them.

Karen ^_^

http://frommisstomissus.blogspot.com/

Sometimes that's very true, Karen. I have a niece who has multiple sclerosis. It was in remission for some time, but then started to flare up again recently. Her doctor put her on some drug and she ended up in the ER. I mean, this sort of thing happens more than many people realize. More than most people realize. Too many drugs, and too many people who don't understand there might be other options.

I realize health is a personal issue; we need to make it MORE personal on an individualized basis. Not just second opinions from another allopathic doctor. I try to encourage people to explore other options for certain diseases and maladies. Sometimes allopathic and alternative can function together, blended medicine, if you will.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Just say no to aspirin Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page