Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What is your favourite household chore?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your favourite household chore? Next Topic
Page: of 2

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  3:13:45 PM  Show Profile
For me, it's ironing.

I think there is nothing so relaxing as warming up the iron in the evening, putting on some relaxing music, or a mindless TV show, and just ironing. I like that I don't have to think and I can just let my mind wander and I can just make the same motions over and over, back and forth, back and forth...
But my favorite part is that when I'm ironing, my hubby won't come near me (he's always scared that I'll rope him into chores too) so I always have an hour or so just for me.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  10:01:11 PM  Show Profile
I hate to iron! I put it off as long as possible. Sometimes I will put in an old movie and iron away. I think my favorite is washing dishes. It is a good thinking time for me. I have a small spiral notebook on the windowsill that I write different bible verses on. That way I can have a time of meditation as well. I also hate to dust,blah!!!!!!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  10:08:38 PM  Show Profile
I like mending, and like ironing..but I hate doing dishes. how funny. I do them of course, and I make myself keep up so I don't get behind at all. I hate to wake up to a dirty kitchen so I do things late at night before I go to bed. (more of a night owl..not a morning person) My family tends to dissapear when I do dishes so I guess that is a good way to get my "alone time". haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  04:43:29 AM  Show Profile
My favorite household chore is cooking. I love to cook, and have since I was a little girl. And I love to create my own stuff. I remember when I was in fourth or fifth grade I had the idea of making a pie by pressing some brownie dough into a pan, baking it, and layering in chocolate mousse and then topping it with tart cherries. My mom thought it was awfully rich, but my dad loved it. He was probably being a nice guy about it; it was probably ghastly. I'm lucky that my hubby will eat just about anything I prepare. My daughter had been a picky eater, and it was hard sometimes. She's grown and cooking for her own now, and HA! one is a picky eater.

I also enjoy cleaning stalls. I love making nice fluffy beds for my horses. And hanging out wash. I love putting laundry on the line (in nice weather, of course).

Thanks for bringing this up; it puts a bright spin on some of the everyday tasks.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  04:49:13 AM  Show Profile
I like folding laundry. It gives me time to "sit" and not feel guilty!
I also like the smell of the clean clothes.

I hate mopping floors ! The frustation of knowing it will be sticky and dirty as it gets dry (thanks to 2 preschoolers and farm dirt) makes me not want to do it at all!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  07:30:50 AM  Show Profile
I like dusting. I don't get to do it very often, but the whole process is very rewarding. First of all, it means I have to pick up the clutter on top of the surface to be dusted. And then, when the dusting and de-cluttering is done, the whole room feels brighter and calmer.

I wish I could be a full time housewife. I would love to be able to devote blocks of time to a chore. I don't understand the thinking that you have to have a career outside the home in order to be "fulfilled". Making and keeping a home is an ongoing creative project, and who wouldn't want to be a self-employed full time artist?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  07:30:52 AM  Show Profile
I love to hang out clothes on the line and next I love to iron. I mix up a bottle of linen spray and by the time I've done ironing the clothes and the house smell so good! Very relaxing to me.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile
I really like to iron, too. There is something about seeing a pile of freshly ironed things that makes me feel like I'm doing something special for either myself or for my family. At times, my husband does his own ironing - of shirts and the like - and he does it without complaining, but when I get up the "gumption" to do it, I know it takes a load off him, and I feel good about it, myself. Also, when my babe was little, I ironed EVERYTHING for him - onesies and all - just because I wanted him to FEEL loved all the time - even if he didn't know it! Okay - so now I don't do that, but just thinking about how I was ironing loving feelings into things makes me smile...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  7:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Lately for me it is scrubbing, washing, rinsing, drying the pots & pans. There is something fun about my little scrub brush with the soap dispenser in it. You know what I'm talking about? I never had one growing up and it just makes scrubbing the pots so much more fun. I just squeeze it at the top and soap comes out of it into the bristles. It's round in shape and really easy to use. Then I get a washcloth and I go over the pots and pans real good with it just to get the residue the brush doesn't get, then I rinse, dry and put them away. Usually one by one. I like to feel a sense of accomplishment from it as I go along.

I used to like ironing & vacuuming & dusting, and now I just like doing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom (which I used to hate doing either). I have always pretty much enjoyed laundry sorting, washing, & drying, but not putting away, now I like all of it. I let my son vacuum. I have my niece empty the dishwasher & put clean dishes away. I don't mind taking trash out, but everyone around here helps with that for the most part. I don't mind cleaning out the fridge. I don't really enjoy sweeping or mopping, but I am a control freak about mopping and don't like anyone else to do it.

Also, I don't mind cleaning the bathroom like I used to. I wash my face every day with a baby wipe in the morning before I apply moisturizer and after I use it on my face I clean the bathroom counter/sinks/faucet and then the toilet and then throw it away. I scrub the toilet bowl real quick with the brush. And I will usually spot dust mop the floor in various areas each day. It has become a ritual. Yes, I am strange.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  5:38:28 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is counter cleaning (kitchen and bathroom sink too). It is so rewarding because they get dirty so easily and only take a few minutes to see vast improvements.

I agree, my least fav is mopping floors! It gets dirty so easily and takes too long to see improvements.

When my hubby and I first got serious enough as to where I might be ironing his clothes, I did so. It wasn't quite up to his standards. He never said so, just took to ironing everything. Works out fabulous for me! I have been passing on that tidbit to all my single friends that might have the same opportunity. It probably only works when your husband actually cares about ironing, which I realize might be kind of unusual.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  05:00:33 AM  Show Profile
As icky as this sounds, I do enjoy.....cleaning the chicken coops! The 'ladies' seem to know what I'm about to do when I arrive at the door. They scurry about jumping and flapping and 'talking' to me. I get to hear all the new gossip and I give them an earfull, too. I love the smell of fresh shavings and hay and they seem to also. As soon as I'm done, they all start scratching at the hay and making nests in their boxes. I swear, I think a few of those girls hold the egg in until they get new hay....They rush to a box and immediatley get a look of relief on their faces. So funny!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  05:28:23 AM  Show Profile
My favorite is hanging the laundry. I get to be outside and the smell of clean laundry is its own reward! I only iron as I wear something (small, crowded closest makes it foolish to do before) and I hate to dust. Maybe Amie C. will come for a visit! LOL
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile
I love cooking and especailly love hanging clothes on the line... I hate doing dishes though. I like cleaning in general, it seems to make all my troubles go away like I'm cleaning them away. I always feel good when I done. I don't seem to ever iron unless it's something I'm making like a quilt or a stuffie.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Edited by - sqrl on Mar 29 2006 10:30:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:44:37 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Melissa! Nothing like being alone in the house and turning up the music and cleaning all of it away. It is very healing! When I have the time.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
I posted earlier that I hate to dust. It only comes back the next day! Anyway, I read the following and am in full agreement with the writer.

"... and I protest that if my furniture ever annoyed me by wanting to be dusted when I wanted to be doing something else, and there was no one to do the dusting for me, I should cast it all into the nearest bonfire and sit and warm my toes at the flames with great contentment, triumphantly selling my dusters to the very next peddler who was weak enough to buy them." Elizabeth Von Arnim 'Elizabeth and her German Garden.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Amie, I like the thought of being a self-employed home artist! ( spin on your comment, adding 'home')

Edited by - Julia on Mar 29 2006 11:00:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  11:17:33 AM  Show Profile
Julia, that quote is absolutely hilarious! Where did you get it from?

I used to be **so** anal about dust in my house, but over time, I've learned to live with only the smallest little dust bunnies in my house. Especially when I keep the windows open in your house. I would gladly share my living space with dust bunnies, if it means that I get to have fresh air in my house every day! :-p

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  6:49:54 PM  Show Profile
i'm loving hearing what "household chores" all you gurlz love to do the 'most'.

honestly can't say that there is ONE favorite .. or any that i dislike. but then, i guess it's cuz' i don't HAVE TO do any of them .. and i don't have a 'set day' where i do any particular household thing .. jus' when the mood hits me .. or the dust gets knee deep!

i like ironing for 'fun' .. starching and ironing olde petticoats or some vintage clothing that i am going to 'display' ... would HATE it if i HAD to iron shirts and blouses!

meg .. more 'husband' advice .. when honey hunk and i first got married .. he had a 'baby blue wool sweater' that he just loved (cuz' it came close to matching his baby blue eyes!) .. HOWEVER .. a 'first wife' knitted it for him .. soooooo .. i gladly WASHED it in super HOT water then rinsed it in super COLD water .. then threw it into a HOT dryer for a long time .. HA! it came out a 'tight fit on a Barbie doll!' ... he insisted that he wash all his laundry from that day forward! (my momma' didn't raise no fools!)

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  06:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Ok......this is weird, but I LOVE changing the beds!LOL I love putting on fresh sheets and blankets. I change our bed 2 times a week and 3-4 in the summer. Only because it gets SO humid here in the summer that you kind of stick to the sheets at night.
THEN, my other fav is hanging out laundry. I get so lost in it, the smell, the warm sun. It's real good for that soul seeking time I guess.
I hate everything else. Period. I need a maid.

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  06:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Rusty
I love clean sheets on the bed, don't like putting them there. Lifting up all the mattress corners to get the bottom sheet on is better then going to a fitness club. I like cleaning and moving things around, I'am talking little things, not the computer desk!! I think I just like keeping house in general, always been a home body, had three play houses fixed up on the farm when I was growing up.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  8:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Alison, the source of the quote it at the end of the quote. When I read it I knew that she was my kinderd spirit! Besides, dust bunnies may be an indangered species someday, and I want to do my part now by letting them alone in their natural habitat!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  9:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I love to dust my floors. I use a swiffer, and it feels so good to see all the dirt that I just removed from the house. I also love to straighten up and put things away, like emptying the dishwasher, or drying the dishes after I wash them. I love to sweep my porch, and cook, and do dishes, and fold laundry. I love to make beds and hang fresh towels. I love to windex my storm door.

I so enjoyed reading the tips above about using the wipes to keep the bathroom counter clean. I do little things like that all day. On my way up the steps, I will use a damp rag or a dirty sock to dust the woodwork as I go. (I have an upstairs laundry room).

I just like cleaning in general. It makes me feel as if I really accomplish something good. The things that get done last are scrubbing the tub and ironing. Thank goodness, my hubby likes to iron while watching sports on the week-ends.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  9:31:19 PM  Show Profile
My favorite chore is laundry, mainly because while the loads are washing/drying, I can do other things I'd rather do.

My least favorite chore is cleaning the bathrooms. Yech!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  10:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I don't have a favorite chore, I actually hate chores! I hate doing dishes and laundry and cleaning bathrooms and changing sheets and dusting and mopping and sweeping.....yeah, I grew up with too many chores, I think! But I do like the effect of a clean counter or the smell of fresh sheets, etc. so I trudge through and "just do it".

Oh to be rich and have a maid to do it all...."just the way I want it done!" hehe

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  10:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.I wish I could be a full time housewife. I would love to be able to devote blocks of time to a chore. I don't understand the thinking that you have to have a career outside the home in order to be "fulfilled". Making and keeping a home is an ongoing creative project, and who wouldn't want to be a self-employed full time artist?

I happen to agree 100%! If I could actually spend whole days at home, I'd get LOTS accomplished! (And I wouldn't dislike everything so much because I'd have time to be creative and things would be in order so I could think and relax!)

I do love cooking though (and baking). We usually are short an item here or there on a recipe, and I love to improvise and am pretty proud of myself when it turns out yummy! I also like sewing and creating stuff, but that's not a chore, it's a hobby that I have little time for.

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  07:49:02 AM  Show Profile
I love to organize closets, drawers, etc. Dust will always come back, dishes will have to be done at the next meal, but an organized closet will stay that way at least for awhile. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and I love to go through my stuff and find things I thought were lost or forgotten. It can bring up fond memories as I touch each item and remember where it came from.
Go to Top of Page

Paradise Creek Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Shellie
Oregon
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  2:20:09 PM  Show Profile
I like washing dishes by hand, when I have time. Most of the time I use our dishwasher because with a 4 year old, 2 year old and 6 month old I don't always get to stand at my sink and wash dishes while gazing out my kitchen window. I also love washing laundry and hanging it out to dry, but I don't like to fold clothes! Our closet space is so little I certainly don't bother to iron unless I am going to wear it that day. In general I love to clean house, but since my children came along, there is no end! Thank God for hard wood floors!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your favourite household chore? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page