Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What is your favourite household chore?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your favourite household chore? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  3:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Shellie
Sounds like you are doing a great job with all you have to deal with, just do the best you can and love those babies.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile
When my hubby and I first got serious enough as to where I might be ironing his clothes, I did so. It wasn't quite up to his standards. He never said so, just took to ironing everything. Works out fabulous for me! Meg--

This is us too. My husband hated that I would starch his shirts or that I would piddle-poke around and not get to the ironing, so he just began doing it. I also liked him doing it because having 2 small children around the hot iron made me nervous and since he would rather iron in the evening than bath 2 small children, that was the trade off. I wasn't going to get both accomplished!

I was nice last week and ironed about 5 or 6 shirts and a couple pairs of pants for him.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Cottage Girl
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Selena
Port Orchard Washington
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  12:51:21 AM  Show Profile
I like mending socks. My DH hates mended socks, and mine don't wear out quickly, so I rarely get to do it. but it's so calming (I get a similar feeling quilting and knitting). I also like scrubbing the kitchen sink. I'm willing to do the dishes just to be able to scrub that sink! But my favorite task must be laundering the bed linens. I wash them weekly, more in the summer, on nice days and hang them across the fence to dry in the sunny breeze. In the winter, the dryer will have to do. When the are put back on the bed, they're so soft and I drift off to sleep smiling and sniffing the smell of lavender soap. Heavenly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The more we take, the less we become.
The fortune of one man means less for some."

Sarah McLaughlan, "World is on Fire."

Edited by - Cottage Girl on Jul 02 2006 12:58:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  04:44:59 AM  Show Profile
I like doing dishes and when I can do laundry in my home, I love that. I dispise beyond dispising cleaning the oven!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile
I like dusting the best. Taking an item out of it's place, cleaning underneath it and giving it a little swish of the duster, looking at it and remembering where and who it came from....Yep, it keeps me connected to the people I love.
Hanging clothes in a close second with vacuuming next. I have 2 dogs that shed and leave little tumbleweeds of hair all over. It is sweet revenge sucking them up in the vacuum cleaner!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  08:47:13 AM  Show Profile
I just like being done.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I love washing dishes, have never used a dish washer. When we built our little (country) house, I had one of those huge kitchen sinks put in, and I love it! I too love the linen water, and hanging clothes on the line. I used cloth diapers when my sons were babies, and I loved seeing them hung out, all straight out, blowing in the breeze. And I then loved folding them up. What beautiful thoughts for today! My sons live far, and have families of their own. :>)

enjoying my Sunday,
Happy 4th, and Farm Fair,
gloria g.
Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  6:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
LOL Laura !! Me Too!!
But in all earnest. Cooking/Preserving and Decorating are my very favorite things to do around the house!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  1:35:42 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by therusticcottage

I love to hang out clothes on the line and next I love to iron. I mix up a bottle of linen spray and by the time I've done ironing the clothes and the house smell so good! Very relaxing to me.

What do you use for your linen spray? I'm going back to using a bottle sprinkler when I iron, and would love to try something that would enhance the ironing experience, but not stain white cottons.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  1:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I like ironing and folding laundry while listening to audiobooks and music... Not a big fan of putting the laundry away though.. I have been known to let it sit so long that by the time everyone has picked through it I need to refold/wash some of it again. I actually enjoy doing the floors and most surface wiping because nothing is more of a hassle than having crumbly things on the bottom of my always bare feet. It's been harder to keep up with now that the girls are at a point where they are both on solid foods but It helps that I love the smell of Dr Bonners, which I use on most of my surfaces.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  2:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I also enjoy laundry and ironing. I don't do much ironing and when I do I think it makes me think about sewing which I love to do. I would love to have a place to hang out my clothes, and lately I have found someone who seems to be willing to do small jobs around the house so I may have one soon.

What I loathe is doing dishes. It always kills my back, and has since I was a child. I have a strange type of arthritis and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that wasn't one of the first manifestations of the disease. I've tried everything, standing on something, using a sink that is higher. I just can't find a comfortable way to wash dishes. Now if someone else washes I like to dry and put away.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  6:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Soooo... You folks like household chores??? LOL

I'm with Laura I like being done! Then I can go sew!! If sewing counts as a chore then it's #1.
Least favorites are cleaning the bathroom and Laundry.

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  8:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I agree I do not like any chores but they need to be done so there by I do them. To bad none of you live close to me I would make stuff in trade for chores. That would be a chore I could like making things for others so I don't have to clean house. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  04:18:56 AM  Show Profile
I just plain like playing house, always have. Growing up on the farm I had three play houses and kept them all fixed up. One was a real playhouse, looked like a small barn that my grandpa bought from a guy that used it in parades, one was a small room off a side porch, and the other one was in an old pig pen we didn't use anymore. That one I never could get clean. HA.I love to PUTTER, my girls don't get that concept, they clean, do what they have to do and are on there way.I guess if I had to pick a job I least like it would be mopping, and my favorite job is to putter, which to me is playing house.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  1:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Farmgirls...I hate ironing. At least I did until I read this thread. I went all the way through your notes talking about how "zen-like" ironing can be and I thought, well...we DO have ironing that needs doing. You see, my husband is like Lucas, Meg's husband. He's very finnicky about his ironing. So I told him, well...that's your job then! He's never complained. But now that I'm a stay-at-home-mom, I sort of feel like I should be doing a bit more. I already do all the dishes, laundry, cooking and of course, take care of the babe, but Dan's been so busy at work and then always has the yard to do when he's home after Jackson's in bed...I figured I could help out with his shirts that are piling up waiting to be ironed.

So...Jackson went down for his afternoon nap today, I brought the ironing board upstairs to the living room and set in. I admit it, it was rather peaceful and calming. Miraculously, the babe didn't cry for me until I had the last shirt put away. Now I'm not sayin' that I will *always* do the ironing, but I guess it's not so bad.

Laundry, however...bring it on! I love getting things clean! Just wish I had a clothesline like at the last house...gotta get on that.

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  09:04:43 AM  Show Profile
I am with Nancy Jo, I like puttering, just doing as you go. but I also love to "speed clean" the house, with music on...then I can sit back and look at the nice clean house. With four kids, it last about half a day, then it is time to do it all over again!

I do love to hang clothes on the line.
And iron, but I rarely make the time to set up the ironing board and meditate as I iron, but I love the repetative work, and the immediate results... nothing like looking at a closet full of freshly starched shirts.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  8:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I can't believe how many of you farmgirls feel the same way I do. Ironing is meditative, you can just let your mind wander...

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  07:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
My favorite household chore. I read each post trying to get my desire up for the project ahead of me the next two days. All I could do is cringe. I hate cleaning house with a passion, I feel dirty, nasty...and any other awlful term you can think of when I get through.

If there is a favorite cleaning chore, it's cleaning my candle holders to have them sparkling and ready to burn more candles. I love candles and burning them. I did just that first thing this morning, with the chores ahead of me for the day. It is the one thing that has to happen when I clean house, to light the house with huge numbers of candles. Somehow that makes it less aggravating for me.

On the other hand, if I had my druthers, I'd be out cleaning the rabbit barn, building a fence, wash down the dog kennel, cleaning a stall, sweeping the shop, organizing what has been misplaced in the shop or barn, digging in my flower beds specifically my roses. At the end of the day I'm full of dirt and sweat from head to toe and happy as can be. I'm a definite tom boy at heart. That is the perfect day!

The one other household chore I don't seem to mind is cleaning the kitchen, it means I'm ready to cook again. I love to cook, it's an art form to me. To put flavors together to come out with a meal so good, the family doesn't utter a word while eating. That's heaven, too.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I get inspiration from the posts, too. You might try looking at a favorite website of mine - flylady.net. It shows a routine for cleaning house, based on regular 15-minute routines in different rooms each day so you never end up doing the whole house in one (or two) days. I did the Sparkly Sink routine about two months ago and have impressed myself with keeping it shiny ever since. Hope that this helps you, too. Also, try doing inside stuff first so you can reward yourself with outdoor stuff later. (I know, I always end up doing it backwards, too!) Happy cleaning!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  08:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Jo,

Thank you so much, I will check it out. The new bed arrives between one and three this afternoon and the bedroom looks oh so much better. I saw your posting for this website on the thread, favorite websites. I knew I would need to explore it. Thank you again.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  7:47:55 PM  Show Profile
I like all aspects of cleaning my home...but I love hanging my laundry out. I don't use the dryer at all. I hang out year round...and if the weather is inclement, then I hang my clothes on my wooden racks. I have had people tell me that I'm too old fashioned not to use my dryer....but my family and I are the ones who slip into fresh sheets that smell like the great outdoors!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  8:08:37 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Susan. I have a dryer, but I never use it - only visitors seem to use it. I have a big shed with lines in it for rainy weather. I know people who NEVER hang their washing outside because it takes too long (what?!) and it is easier to put it in the dryer.
I love to hang out washing, especially lovely clean white nappies. Also I love ironing, but probably because we don't have heaps of clothes that need ironing!!
Now that we are living in a house with a kitchen window, I love washing dishes. Before this we lived in a house where the sink faced a blank wall (very boring to look at!!). We lived there for 9 months and when we saw this house, I commented on the kitchen window and how I would enjoy doing dishes again. My husband wanted to know what I was talking about as he hadn't even thought about the blank wall!! I don't think he does the dishes enough!!
I totally agree with the comment about being a housewife. It seems to be an embarassing thing to be now, somehow not sophisticated enough. That is why this forum is so great - girls who think the same way as me - I can't even imagine having this discussion with anyone I have met where we have moved to - they just want to talk about their $400 pair of shoes they just bought. Oops, I seem to have digressed!! Just thanks girls for showing me there are people like me out there!!!
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Emma
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Emma-Cho
Applethorpe Queensland
Australia
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  8:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it funny how 'housewife' has become a negative word? When people ask me what I want to do with my life and I tell them I want to be a housewife they kind of laugh and think it's a joke until I reassure them I'm being serious.. then they don't quite know what to say. I can't think of anything more rewarding to do with my life. I just scrubbed the washing machine with bleach and it looks like new again, and cleaned the outside windows til they shone - how could anyone be unsatisfied with shiny windows? Now it's time to sweep the carpet - yes, I said sweep - the vacuum is broken! It's like being back in time, in the days before vacuum cleaners (long before I was born!)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  8:51:11 PM  Show Profile
my favourite chore is cleaning my office. I love organizing my paperwork. putting my pens in the holder, sorting out my letter writing paper...writing a few letters while I'm there....Oh, I also love feeding apples that have fallen from our trees to our pigs. They get so excited and chase each other around grunting a sqeaking, which gets the dog going and the dog will go in with the pigs...It brings me such joy to watch this..!!!

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  9:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Hanging clothes on the line. Soon to be favorite chore? feeding the catfish in the pond.

My Homesteading Journal
http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal
http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your favourite household chore? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page