Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic All time favorite cookbook? Next Topic
Page: of 3

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  1:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Wow, today I had such a lucky trip to the "antique store" (really a "flea market," who are they kidding?)...right there was Cooking From Quilt Country for $3.00! I remembered it was highly recommended by y'all in this thread and I scooped it up. It does look wonderful. Can't wait to spend some time with it...first on the sofa and then in the kitchen! Thanks!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile
I love cookbooks. I haven't seen the "Cooking from Quilt County" I'll have to look for it.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  05:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Rebekah, I'm glad you got such a good deal! Isn't that fun?

I see since I last posted on this thread I've gotten about a dozen more cookbooks. Heavens, some of them I bought, put on the shelf, and still haven't gotten to. And that's silly, because we've certainly eaten since then! I got a couple of bread ones, a couple more Moosewood ones (good deals, second hand!), and various and sundry others, especially with a historical twist. I really like the King Arthur Cookie Companion. They go through and do variations on the basics, and came up with some Essentials--- like the Essential Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie, the Essential Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookie, the Essential Soft Chocolate Chip Cookie, etc. Reviews have been fabulous.

I'm out of shelf space on three different bookcases, and now they're stacked on a chair! I'm going to have to do something soon....
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I have to agree with Mumof3 in that Fannie Farmer is my old standby...taught me how to make the cream sauce that won my husband's heart. I have so many, it's hard to choose, but I LOVE the junior league cookbooks, and I gravitate towards southern cooking, so I guess I'll throw "Southern Sideboards" by the junior league of Jackson, Mississippi into the ring.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  2:57:48 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Jonni, I don't quite believe this! I thought the title "Southern Sideboards" sounded familiar, so I checked my shelves and by golly, I have it! I haven't perused it much (it had belonged to my mother, a born and raised Alabama girl) but I'm going to now. Anything in particular in there you can recommend?

*Mary Ann, who is still laughing at the serendipity of it*
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile
You all are killing me!! Honestly, I am joining the bazillion cookbooks club...We have a bazillion, too. I looked up the Fancy Pantry and the Better than store bought and really would like them!! Cooking from quilt country is fabulous and if you like looking at cookbooks, check out Lee Bailey. He's great, as well. I'm off for some TURKEY!!

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  06:35:26 AM  Show Profile
I love the Fanny Farmer cookbook too. Whenever I want to check on the basic recipe for something, that is what I turn to. It has all the classic dishes!

I have the same problem as some of you. More cookbooks than shelves to put them on. I had to take them out of the kitchen and put them into the family room. Now I am trying to decide if I can afford to have some taller shelves built instead of the old unfinished pine discount furniture outlet shelves they are on now.

Sometimes I think I should just get rid of all of them and use recipe source on the internet instead, though... But it's just not the same as a cookboook. A recipe database has information, cookbooks have a "STORY" to tell....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  06:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, to me there's no comparison! A cookbook will never be deleted with no explanation. A cookbook can be handed down to my daughter. A cookbook works in a power outage or when I want to make notes in the margins. A cookbook stays the same year after year, and insures uniform results.

I won't say that I don't go to allrecipes.com or epicurious.com a lot; they have great ideas, and I like the search engines. But for the backbone of my cooking, I love the books. I love the way you can get a certain tone or personality from an individual book, so you can look for recipes according to your mood. I love the ones that have beautiful pictures too, and history or stories about the recipes in the margins.

I've been known to haul my laptop into the kitchen from time to time, but by far more often it's a cookbook on the counter. They're like old friends.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  07:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Horseyrider....That's too funny that you have Southern Sideboards! It was the first cookbook I ever purchased...I didn't even have a stove yet but I was working at this great little gift shop called "The Mole Hole" and we carried a lot of junior league books. One of the older ladies I worked with was quite the cook, and she looked through it and told me she "thought it would be a good primer"...I've never been without it since. Some of my favorites are the cheese pie (like cheesecake, only a pie!), the pork chop gravy, old fashioned milk punch, "saucy green beans" and a gazillion other things. What I like the most, is that on any given night, I can open it up and find something to make with what I have in my house---whether it be a side or a main dish.
I really respond to what you've said about cookbooks--I read them like novels, and they are a real source of comfort. My mother and grandmother weren't cooks--grandma was a rosie riveter, and mom had no interest, so I really "learned" to cook by these books, and my love affair with food and it's origins happens over and over when I open a cookbook.
I have purged my collection over the years--"goodbye Martha Stewart", mainly to moving (I often make mercenary decisions), but the ones that I have, I use consistently--last count was 24. Mostly southern or coastal New England, but other favorites are the local fund raising books from churches and schools. Some of the best Monday night suppers come from those!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  07:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, my mom was an incredible cook, and she taught me a great deal. She was in a sort of book of the month club for junior league books, and now I have dozens. I have literally hundreds of cookbooks; I'm kind of a junkie for them. I figure if I get even one really satisfying recipe from one, then it's paid for itself because I didn't go out to dinner, did I?

When the warm weather diminishes, I have such a list of books to read, and some cookbooks might as well be on that list. I'll bring out Southern Sideboards and look for the cheese pie and your other favorites, and I'll think of you. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  10:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I couldn't bear to part with my cookbooks! We have several of the smaller ringbinder ones, fundraisers and lots of other ones. Mom and I have 3 large bookcases and several more to be shelved. We have some of the ones you all are talking about. I like the Marlboro ones, too. Another favorite type of cookbook that I like are the regional/international ones. We are also cookbook readers...Oh, I must tell you all...I am getting a copy of Tasha Tudor's cookbook!! I am quite excited!!

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic All time favorite cookbook? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page