brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any MENU cookbooks they really like? I have one from the 1940's that I got at an estate auction - it is so cool it lists things that go together, the whole meal planning thing is done. It has some unique salads, too, not just the basic iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots that I seem to get stuck in a rut of serving. Of course it lists some things that we don't normally eat any more, like liver (yuck...)

I would love to find one that features seasonal foods.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  3:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I plan on writing a cook book from my mother in laws tried and true homemade creations. Most are recipes handed down from her mom and grandmother. Almost 90% of what I cook is a recipe from her. And she can make anything- simple meat and potatoes, chicken stew, boiled dinner, chili, sloppy joes, chicken salad, breads, rolls, pies, cookies, chicken enchiladas and so on. The other day we were looking through some of her quilting material and ran across some old photos from the late 50's. One is of her taking the clothes off the line. I want to put these pics in the book. It will mostly be for the family but I will make extras to send as gifts etc. Anyone know of a good CHEAP publisher? Just someone to bind the book together, I can do the writing and printing.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

Breezy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Wendy
West Valley Utah
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  5:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Beth it's a great idea to do a cook book from your mother in laws recipes. Just this last year my family did one with my grandmothers recipes. We not only put in all of our family's favorites from grandma but new ones we have loved over the years. We added comments on recipes of our memories of making them with her or of her making them for us. On a few of the pages instead of typing out the recipes we scanned in the original recipe card in grandma or even some in my great grandma's handwriting. One of my favorite parts was that we sat down with her and talked about how cooking, food storage, shopping or gardening was while she was growing up or first married. She also told us about special memories from parties or family dinners. It's a wonderful rich history to read. I got three for myself and two of them I have put away to give my little boys when they get married. It is by far my favorite cookbook cause all my favorites are in one place. As far as publishing goes my mom had everyone send her the recipes in word or typed them in herself. She then burned it on a CD and took it to Kinko's along with a cover and back page we laminated and had them print and bind them and they turned out great. Good Luck.

Wendy Sue
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
thanks wendy. i like the idea of scanning in some of the hand written ones. i have asked everyone in the family to give me thier favorite and write a little something about it. i din't know kinkos would do that. excellent. also love the idea of saving some for the kids wedding. i have 4, 1 girl and 3 boys. i remember the day grandma taught my daughter to make gravy for the turkey. she learned so fast and is now the official gravy maker for all family get togethers. she feels so special that grandma has given her a special task.

blessomgs
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - I have thumbed through "Saving Dinner" and it has some pretty darn good menus and shopping lists in it. That might be helpful, and I'll bet your local library has a copy to look through - OR, a bookstore. I live in such a small area, we don't even have a bookstore! What a luxury that would be!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  9:56:50 PM  Show Profile
I just recieved my copy of Cooking in Quilt Country today in the mail. OH MY GOSH!! The recipes all look wonderful. I can't wait to try them. I hate it when I get a new cookbook and I'm trying to diet all at the same time Thank you for those that recommended this book, I can tell I'm going to love it!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  10:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Be sure to try the stew...I think it is called country stew..it is great!! Perfect seasoning!!
I never leave recipes alone and I have never messed with this one..it is just right!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  05:09:47 AM  Show Profile
This thread has been an inspiration. Sometimes I get into a rut where I absolutely cannot think of a single thing to make for dinner. Now I see that I need to try some stew, and some banana cake, and all kinds of other things!

Jenny, I'm like you. I usually follow the recipe exactly the first time, and then embellish with changes next time to more suit my family. I write in my books, too; does anyone else? My hubby isn't much of a talker. If he's sick, he'll just say he's sick; he won't differentiate between having a mild headache and when he's needing a hospital. And if he finds a dish passable, or if it's outrageously good, he also doesn't differentiate. So many years ago I asked him to give me a number between one and ten, and rate things. Then I write the ratings by the recipe. Most passable dishes are a 7 (a three or four would probably be a bite and then pushed away; a one would probably be immediately spit out), and a good one to make again would be an 8. Once in awhile we find a 9. I can look back and find something I made fifteen years ago that got an 8 or a 9 and make it again. We have had a few things that he's described as actually pushing 10, which means you'll eat it until you're borderline sick, it's so good.

I love hearing about recipes discovered by others in books I already have! That makes life easier, and I can make these things right away. But I can also see clearly that there are some more cookbooks I need to acquire. I have three bookcases stuffed with cookbooks in my diningroom. Where do you guys keep your cookbooks? I'm running out of room!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  05:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Good system you got there Mary Ann, my Richard's answer is usually yea its good, what does that mean, never sure, might try that number system with him.
Still waiting for my Cooking in Quilt Country, also ordered one for my aunt, are there a lot of nice pictures in it?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  05:50:44 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea of the numbering system also, but I might narrow it down to 1-5. If I give hubby too many choices he'd have a hard time making a decision.

Speaking of hubby, does anyone else have the problem I'm having where hubby 'snacks' while your making dinner? And then when dinner is done he's already half full? ARGH! Plus, then there's leftovers and he doesn't eat leftovers and I don't eat meat. I HATE throwing out food. And I don't have the pet menagerie a lot of you do, so it goes in the trash.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  10:08:23 AM  Show Profile
I read about this cookbook a while back and just thought you gals would probably be real interested. I've only just read about it, never actually held the book and looked through it but it sounds so good - Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros. Here's a link to a blog that talks about it or you could probably just go to amazon. I'd love to get a copy of this book..Check it out..
www.whowantsseconds.typepad.com/who_wants_seconds/2005/01/falling_cloudbe.html

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, The cookbook pictures are so beautiful! Little slices of life, like laundry on the line against a high summer sky, a handful of fresh eggs, the buggies at the auction downtown, etc. I don't recall who did the photography, but it's a tremendous nostalgia rush for me. Sometimes I get it down just to look at the pictures.

Funny that my hubby's not the only inarticulate one!

Destiny, I don't know why my hubby lets me tell him, but I usually just tell him I'm making a big dinner and to save on the snacks. And he does. I suppose he wants to enjoy the food I'm making, too. Is there any way you could set up a little snack for him? If he comes home famished, and wants something right away, maybe some good homemade bread and butter and a glass of milk will hold him without making him too full. And if you do the setup, then you control the size.

Funny you'd mention leftovers. I really dislike most leftover meats, and hubby enjoys them. I like the veggies better, and he's the reverse. We throw away far more food than I'm comfortable with; I need to do better on that.
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  11:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, that's not a bad idea. I guess I've just been so FRUSTRATED with him picking up the bag of cheese crackers and eating until supper is ready that I never thought about how to take control of it another way. I'll have to come up with some ideas and then stock up on the supplies. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  12:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, the pictures are breathtaking!! The picures of the little kids are precious and I tell you, some of the women in that book are gorgeous. It shows pictures of the insides of the houses, women in the garden, men with the animals, and little ones helping with the cooking. I love them all.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  4:33:45 PM  Show Profile
OK, Now I'am real excited to get the cookbook, thanks for the imput.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  2:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Another older post, but I JUST LOVE TO COOK AND LOVE COOKBOOKS!

Must have's for any kitchen are the Joy of Cooking and Fannie Farmer and I have both. My reference books.

Other books favorites:

Too Many Tomatoes, Squash, Beans, and Other Good Things
Love Yourself Cookbook, Delicious Receipes for One or Two

I love cookbooks that are for fund raisers. You always get family favorites. I find one of those at a garage sale and it's mine. My favorites are:

M.D. Anderson Volunteers Cooking for Fun
Ladies of Harley, Brazosport, Texas - Savor Our Flavor (some strange odd receipes but fun to read)
Air Force 4th SOS and 16th SOS Spouces Group - Gunship Grub (regional receipes from all over the country - wonderful) given to me by my SIL.

Finally, one little book with the same binding as the books that are for fund raisers that is my bible when it comes to unbelieveably great muffins is:

Muffin Mania by Cathy Prange and Joan Pauli and published Liberty Publishing Company, Inc. One my grandmother gave me 13 years before she passed away.

I have quite a few books, not yet in the kitchen, still packed in boxes from my grandmother's massive collection. In the 40's and 50's she was equipment editor for the now defunct American Home Magazine and received cookbooks all of the time. This summer DD and I are redoing the kitchen. Taking down old wallpaper and painting so new bookcase will be purchased and my now 200 plus books will be on display.

Final note - read every post on thread and ordered Canadian Living and Cooking from Quilt Country. Now to find all the others listed and purchase, that each of you have recommended.

From one who loves to cook....with passion.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Edited by - santa_gertrudis_gal on Jun 13 2006 2:44:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, being someone who hates to cook but needs to, I use the Joy of Cooking which I made my husband get me a few years ago for Christmas. He thought it was a weird gift but now he's sees the wisdom of the choice. It has saved many a doomed meal!

My next favorite cookbook is the Farm Vegetarian Cookbook (although I think it's called "New" Farm etc. It was written by some amazing hippies who were vegan before the word existed. It's not that I love veganism so much but the recipes actually have taste and don't rely on modern packaged vegan grainburgers from the freezer. It's make it yourself. Amd it's not necessarily all whole wheat so even I like it. I was at the Farm in 1978 and the food was g-o-o-o-o-d!

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shellybien0319
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  4:56:06 PM  Show Profile
I have almost 100 cookbooks. I, too, am drawn to impulsively buy ANY cookbooks that looks even the slightest bit useful (and they all are, usually). The one that I have used the most, poor thing, with it's raggedy cover and binding attched to the pages anymore, is called Blue Ribbon cooking (I'm not posiitive that is the title, it's packed in storage right now... I just know, it's very fat and blue like a ribbon--and falling apart!) It's food focuses mostly on Mid-western cooking. Different, but not too much, from what I was raised on. I kind of take these recipes and use them as is or tweek them a little to suit my own taste. I also have another booklet, I got for free from Wild Oats, and it's more of a reference guide for buying in bulk (Flours, legumes, pastas, grains, etc) It is very help ful. I have exposed myself to the wonderful world of cous cous through this little Gem.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  08:40:57 AM  Show Profile
Every year, Southern Living produces a cookbook that includes all the recipes that have been in the magazine the past year. They group them by the month, of course, and have complete menus, and lots of tips for serving for special occasions. I love these books, have purchased about 5 since 1987 and use them all the time. If I got one every year, I would have to have a kitchen library, because they are big, but they really have lots of healthy recipes using fresh veggies. And the photos are nice. I love them.

I also got a complimentary cookbook once when we stayed in a place at Seaside, Florida. The onwers of the cottage actually leave a signed cookbook for every guest! I have made some great things from that little hardback cookbook from the oceanside. It is called Seaside Pastels and Pickets - A compendium of Recipes.

My most tattered and stained cookbook is called Talk About Good! and is from the Lafayette, Louisiana Junior League. It has the best chili recipe I ever found. It was first published in the 1967 and has had several reprints.

Better Homes and Gardens is still the cookbook I use to teach myself stuff - about canning, making a pie crust, etc. The photos in my copy have women in shirtwaist dresses. But it still is my bible of cooking.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  08:59:45 AM  Show Profile
Kristi .. hands-down .. still my all-time favorite cookbook are the MARLBORO cookbooks .. and they have the most fabulous photography in them too .. i literally have hundreds of cookbooks and cook-booklest .. from olde to new .. and i still find that i gravitate back to those books over and over again.

(later, i'll post some photos from them .. you can just go to e-bay and google MARLBORO under books .. and they will probably pop up. xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  1:47:03 PM  Show Profile
My favorite cookbook that my hand always gravitates to when I need just the right recipe is the Fanny Farmer Cookbook, originally The Boston Cooking School Cookbook. I have a few of them from different years ( 1918, 1936 to the present) and they are always the right choice!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile
OHH, what a great thread! I love cookbooks, and while it doesn't number 84,000, it could probably use some culling. But then, when you remember that _____Church cookbook recipe, what can you do but keep the book? I like all of Susan Branch's, for looking at and smiling as well as the recipes. My personal list of most used according to category is: Bread book: Nancy Silverton's, Breads from LaBrea. Chocolate book ( a killer):Bittersweet, by Alice Medrich. For what to do to fix broken chocolate and any thing else that mysteriously goes wrong, as well as excellent reading: Cookwise, by Shirley O. Corriher. For good meals and having fun, these: Patricia Wells, At Home in Provence, Gordon Hammersley's, Bistro Cooking At Home, and Michael Chiarello's, Casual Cooking. For the old childhood recipes I like Joy of Cooking (Mom's cookbook) and Better Homes and Gardens, which I have part of my original 1976 book and then a new one in the 90's. I also like "Putting Food By".

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Boxbreaker
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Tia
Lancing TN
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  6:00:23 PM  Show Profile
My favorites are A Real American Breakfast (we take breakfast very seriously 'round these parts LOL) by Jamison and Jamison, The Farmhouse Cookbook (author traveled to various farms around the country), and 500 Treasured Family Recipies by Martha Storey. That last one is as close to what I'd write if I was going to sit and write one as I've seen. Usually though I've noticed I'm trying most of my new recipes from magazines like Real Simple and Southern Living. And, once I've made something from a recipe it's improv all the way after that. I don't measure! I'm so grateful for the time in years past watching cooking shows because the techniques stuck with me and they are so transferrable to all kinds of dishes.

For anyone interested in menus, I post mine on my blog weekly. They are seasonal, aim to stay local, whole foods, and ON A BUDGET. I've not found another menu source that hits all the criteria so I make my own. www.sixredheads.com

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people because they enact their dreams into reality with eyes wide open.
Go to Top of Page

CarlaJeanne
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Carla
York Maine
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  4:48:53 PM  Show Profile
MaryAnn and I have exactly the same taste. I have yet to meet someone who loves or even mentions Victory Garden - it's my fav one I turn to more often than not. My most favorite recipe is the squash cornbread, I use pumpkin - it's real nice, moist and orangy - we used to serve it grilled with a southwestern omlette. I do like the Frog Commissary also - unique.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  07:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Tia, I love "A Real American Breakfast"! It's a good cookbook and the sidebars are fascinating. The Chocolate bread pudding is the first recipe I tried from this book, and it was so delicious and easy to make, an outstanding company dessert. (not breakfast dessert , but dinner.) I like to read cookbooks... and usually, like you, do my own improvising, but often meld ideas/ingredients from several recipes into something that suits our taste.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic All time favorite cookbook? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page