Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  12:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, a question for your expertise...

My bread ALWAYS turns out more like a brick than bread...the step that causes things to go downhill is where you're supposed to punch the dough down after it's been rising about an hour, and then divide it up in your bread pans to let it rise the second time before baking.

Mine never, ever, EVER rises the second time...so yesterday I decided to just skip that step, let it rise the first time in the bread pans, and then bake it off...

And it turned out lovely...

So why is the second rising supposedly neccessary? How come it never rises the second time for me?? What am I doing wrong...?

Thanks!!! :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com

www.patternprincess.blogspot.com

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  12:40:55 PM  Show Profile
And just to note, I don't think it would be something wrong with the yeast, since it always rises beautifully the first time around...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  2:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Jodi,

What kind of bread are you making? Sometimes barometric pressure can keep bread from rising.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  3:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, I've had that problem before with my Grandma's dinner rolls. I never did figure it out, hopefully somebody knows....

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  3:47:35 PM  Show Profile
The only time I've ever had that happen, is when the dough got too cool.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  04:12:10 AM  Show Profile
I would think that it is because things got too cool, also. The more risings you do (and you can do several - I've done three and four) The more fluffy and light bread will turn out. (From my experience; and from things I've read.) To keep my dough warm enough I have done things like set it out in the back porch in the sun (covered, of course), set it next to the wood stove during the winter; etc.
What I do most of the time is this: after kneading, I cover it with a towel, and set it on the top rack of the cold oven.
Directly beneath, I place a roasting pan or a 9x13 cake pan, and fill it with boiling water; then shut the oven door.
After the first hour, I punch down, place in loaf pans, and put it back in that warm, humid oven with the door shut. Presto: second rising within 20-30 minutes.
Sometimes I let it over rise by accident and have to start all over by punching down again and re making my loaves, and it rises right up.
Each consecutive rising takes less time also.....
Anyway I hope this is helpful. I don't know about anyone else, but this is my humble experience.... :)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  06:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies sounds like that was the problem. Thinking on it I bet it did get too cool, I like my house on the cooler side in the winter. I'll try the oven with hot water trick.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, I'm not sure it's getting too cold in my case, as I let it rise in a warm oven, and usually have it back in the second time within just a few minutes...but I'll have to see if there's any improvement if I get it back in the oven quicker!

Sharon, it's just a basic wheat bread recipe...nothing too complicated...

Thanks for the suggestions!

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  6:10:13 PM  Show Profile
I've had lots of trials with bread also, Maybe your bread is to warm. I have lots of amish that live here and they told me to not let it get too warm or it will scald your yeast. When I make bread, I just leave it on the counter covered in greased plastic wrap and make sure that you really let the yeast work, it doesn't have to take 1 hour, it may take up to 2 depending on the day. If you were letting it rise in a warm oven, which I had happen, it could be that the yeast scalded and wouldn't work the second time. This is were patience work, for every good thing takes time. Hope I was a little help. Make sure you let us know how you made out. Happy baking.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  08:11:42 AM  Show Profile
I bought a dough rising bucket from King Arthur flour a few years ago (still available on their website or in their catalog). It has really helped me with the first rising. Not only does it keep the dough warmer, but it has markings on it so I can at a glance tell that my dough has doubled.
For the secong rising in the pans, I warm up my oven just a minute or so, then turn it off and put the pans of dough in there. They rise beautifully that way.

Caron

"Trust in the Lord, and do good." Psalm 37:3
Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  11:50:35 AM  Show Profile
How warm would TOO warm be? At what point would it start to kill the yeast...? I leave the oven at 200 degrees, but I also leave the dough in there for an hour the first time around, and it just keeps rising...it doesn't act like I'm hurting it, lol. Maybe I just have bad bread luck!!

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  11:54:35 AM  Show Profile
200 sounds to high to me..... I dunno. Have you tried it any other way to see if it rises the second time?

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  2:51:44 PM  Show Profile
200 is too high, it is starting at that temp to partialy bake it. I would put the dough in a warmed bowl, not hot, and set it on top of your warm, not on, oven with a dish towel wrapped around it, and see how that works for you.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile
i agree with mamawolf the temp is to high for the second rise. also you sre kneading the bread to help the gluten protein grow and strtch. it also distributes the yeast through the dough. if when you are kneading the bread it snaps and pops bubbles you have happy dough. temperature in all stages is vital to yeast growth and elasticness of gluten. hope my thoughts help. has anyone tried the bread recipe in the old betty crocker for bread you store the dough in the fridge and pull off what you want to bake that day. similar to rhodes frozen brezd dough? its a good recipe. sherrye
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread baking question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page