kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  06:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Ok, when I had my steer butchered I got a box full of the bones. Now I would like to do the broth. Has anyone done this? And can it be done up in large quantities and canned? Or would frozen be better? And if I can can it, what is the procedure? Just hot water bath or pressure canner?

Thanks for any help ya'll can give!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  06:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can do it in large quantities and you can can it. Let me go check my canning book...

Here is the recipe and canning directions from the Ball Blue Book:

Beef Stock

4 pounds meaty bones
2 quarts water
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 carrot sliced
1 stalk celary sliced
1 bay leaf
salt to taste

Bring beef bones and water to a boil over high heat in a large saucepot. Reduce heat; skim foam. Add onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, and salt to taste. Cover. Simmer 2 to 3 hours. If more flavor is desired, simmer longer or add beef bouillon to stock. Remove beef bones. Strain liquid; skim excess fat from top of stock. Ladlehot stock into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps, process pints 20 minutes, quarts 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  07:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee. Looks simple enough. I just need to go get some good organic celery and onion now. I have everything else.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  6:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Just FYI - you might be well off to add a couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar to the broth. Helps bring out the goodness in the bones. You can also soak the bones in vinegar first, if you prefer.

If the bones are meaty enough, I brown them in the oven first, with a little rosemary and some multi-colored peppercorns and a dash of allspice. Adds a nice flavor to the broth (but I still add the vinegar, too).

Also, I freeze my broth in glass jars. Leave about 2 inches of headspace though. Been doing it this way for 35 years because I don't like to can things. Freezing is so much faster!

Good luck and you'll love beef broth because there is so much you can do with it.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile
I decided to post this information for you, as well. There is much interesting reading.

BROTH IS BEAUTIFUL: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/broth.html

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  04:50:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, Deb. I'll have to read it later. But my bones are not very meaty. At least the ones I can see so far. Does that make a difference in the quality of the broth? Or will it just be fatty? I can strain off the fat when it cools. I guess I need to get my NT book out and read about this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  07:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Kristin - roast the bones first and then place all the bone and drippings created into your soup pot. The baking will loosen any meat or marrow and really help to flavor the stock. You will get a much richer, deeper flavor.

If you're going to roast, place the bones in a roasting pan, add a little olive oil if you'd like, and roast for a half hour at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add the chopped vegetables, (six ounces of tomato paste if making a beef stock), and continue roasting until the vegetables are browned. Place everything in the stockpot, deglaze the pan with some wine and then add that to the stockpot as well. Then add water and herbs and boil your stock. Be sure to thouroughly skim it before canning.

You can even place it in the fridge overnight to allow the fat to form a crust on the top and then skim it off.

It must be pressure canned or frozen. If frozen you need to use it within 3 to 6 months.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  08:20:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Thanks for the info, Deb. I'll have to read it later. But my bones are not very meaty. At least the ones I can see so far. Does that make a difference in the quality of the broth? Or will it just be fatty? I can strain off the fat when it cools. I guess I need to get my NT book out and read about this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Kristin, if you already have the NT cookbook, I didn't even need to post that link for you! Oh well ...

But heck no -- the marrow bones are just as good (if not better FOR us) than the meaty bones. I just think the meaty bones add extra flavor to the broth. I like my broth flavorful, but some people want totally unflavored broth for using in other recipes where they might not want the added spices and such. That is a personal thing, really.

Don't strain off too much of the fat. In fact, when I use quality beef (grass-fed or organically fed) I leave the fat. I try to put most of the fatty stuff into a few of the first filled jars and label them properly, and then I put the less fatty stuff in jars identifying it as less fat. When I make homemade veggie/beef soup I especially like the fattier stuff because it's more rib-sticking for the winter months.

Let us know how your broth turns out.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  08:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
Has anyone ever tried all this with deer bones?

At home on the banks of the beautiful Suwannee River in North Florida
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  4:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ya'll. Both great ideas. I'll try some both ways.

I hope someone has an answer for you, Carolyn. I am hoping to get a deer this fall and would like to try deer broth, too. And we will be butchering some goats, too. What about that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  5:06:30 PM  Show Profile
I have never tried any wild game or goat bones, but I think a bone is a bone is a bone, ya know? I mean, I can't see that the broth itself would be much different from any other bone broth, unless you were going to add quite a bit of the meat itself. Then, of course, the flavor would be effected.

And too, it depends on what else you put in the broth, depending on what you wanna use it for down the road. This is where the choice of spices and herbs (or not using any at all) would come into play, I guess.

-Deb

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  5:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Carolyn - there is some concern with a disease called Chronic Wasting Disease that is thought to be carried by deer. It is present in the bone marrow which would be released in the cooking process of the stock. Although the disease is EXTREMELY RARE some states still warn against cooking down the bones of the deer and suggest having it processed for meat alone. Many states will check your deer for the disease when it is tagged. If the test is negative I suppose you could use deer.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  6:54:04 PM  Show Profile
my father was quite the hunter here in oregon. we had a large hunting group as i grew up. we would camp for 2 and 3 months. there would be 4 or 5 families out on the woods. we would swim and play and the dads hunted. we always boiled off the bones of all our game. we hunted to eat. mom always made stock out of elk deer bear wild boar. we also picked many many gunny sacks of chantrelle mushrooms and canned them,. pop was also a commercial fisherman for salmon. so we boiled fish for stock also. bone soup is very healthful. sherrye happy days
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Beef Broth From Bones Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page