kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  04:44:58 AM  Show Profile
My little lady, Mrs. T. left yesterday, Sunday, to go live with her DD for the whole winter. She's thinking she may just stay there the rest of her life. She's 92. They might come back in April to see her azaleas blooming. Then go back. She has a beautiful yard that is over 90 years old with huge boxwoods and azaleas that her mother planted. On about 2 1/2 acres. It really is beautiful when all the azaleas are in bloom.

This has been my life the past few years. Taking care of her. I mean practically every day. Taking her to appointments and things like that. Getting her mail. Just helping her out. I even cook extra and bring her some.

Now what? I already feel this big empty hole. I will miss her awfully. I already do. But in a way this is the best thing for her right now. She has been talking about this since Feb. Had been packed for the past month. Over and over she'd go with all the things I still have to do. I'll be watering her plants and just making sure everything's ok at her house. She's paid all the bills til April. I'll get her mail and send her the good things. No junk mail!

She is just the neatest lady. So beautiful. The true Southern lady, for sure. She taught school for 10 years. She was a wonderful potter. And artist. I homeschooled my kids for 2 years and she taught them art. I still have some of the things they made. She had garden tours every year and huge garden parties. I lived next door to her for 17 years and almost everything in my yard came from her yard. She taught me alot about gardening.

I hope to go over there in Feb. They live in the U.S. Virgin Islands. It's only a 4 hour flight, she says. So I just might do it. I'll be ready for some warmth and sunshine by then.

Anyway, sorry to bore you all with this. It just helps to have a little girl talk. Thanks for listening. I hope everyone has a Mrs. T. in their life. It sure makes the world a lot better place.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  04:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
It sounds like you have been very blessed. Not everyone gets a person like that in their life. What wonderful memories you have with Mrs. T. Perhaps you will be blessed with another similar person, or a new and different kind of person. When someone that close moves away I am sure it leaves a pretty big hole. Time will help you to adjust to your new way of life, and who knows what newness will come to fill it. It is natural to feel the emptiness, but keeping in touch with Mrs. T, and taking care of her things, should help with the void.
Blessings,
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  06:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kris! *hugs* You are such a sweet lady!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  09:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Kris, not only has Mrs. T been blessed by having you, but you are truly a blessed person. I, too, love the elderly. They have such wisdom. I love listening to them, their stories are so amazing, the things they have been through and still love life. God Bless you for caring and loving Mrs. T.
I'm sure she brags on you, just as you brag on her.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, you will not believe this, but just a few hours ago my friend called about taking care of her father. I wrote about them last year. My friend just lives a few miles from me. Her mother had cancer and was still in the hospital in Alabama when I started taking care of her father. He's great. He has alzheimers now. His wife died back in the winter. So they had a professional sitting with her and him both. But they are paying her so much and her brothers think they need to make a change starting in Jan. She called to see if I'd be interested. It's 3 days a week but like 13 hours a day. She said I could take him home with me if I have lots to do and he just sits and watches tv most of the time. I will think about it. But I really want to homeschool my 6 year old granddaughter starting in January, too. Si I'll need to see how that would work. He really likes her, so it might work out. I just don't know if I'm ready to be so tied to someone else right away.

Anyway, that's something to think about. The money would really come in handy. I'm trying to make all our house payments on time for the next year so we can refinance and get away from Bank of America. They are AWFUL!!! So this would help alot.

Thank you all for all the nice comments. I really do love that lady. More than I realized. My mom is 300 miles away so I don'r see her much. So she was like a mother to me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  12:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Kris you're just wonderful! *hug*
I hope something comes along soon to fill the empty time with much joy!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  09:02:04 AM  Show Profile
As I read your post Kris, I wanted to STEAL your Mrs. T away!! She sounds SO WONDERFUL!!!! What a blessing to have in your life, and yes, what a blessing you were (and always WILL BE!) to her! Sounds like she was excited about going with her family though. Packed for so many months in advance.... I had to laugh at that! And to give up her beautiful azaleas so easily! I bet she was a traveler at heart, and now she has the opportunity to do something about it, even if it IS only 4hrs away! If you get the chance to go visit, you REALLY should! I know I'd be on that plane in a heart beat!

As for taking on another elderly person-- is there any way you can give it a "trial run?" If the man does not need constant PHYSICAL care, you might just be able to watch over him AND homeschool your grandaughter. It might be good for BOTH of them actually. It seems that children and critters bring joy to the hearts of those long past their twilight years, even if they seem to be living somewhere else in their minds.

The presance of a sweet child, and/or a warm and furry creature tend to bring them to a happier time in their lives. I witnessed that often with my husband's grandmother a few years before she died. She was like a shell of a human being when no children were around, but when the little ones showed up, boy HOWDY! There she was again! Her eyes would light up and she was all smiles! Just something to think about, and certainly NOT for the faint of heart.

God bless you for your kindness and caring tword others Kris. You are truly a BLESSING to this world! ~~~ Farmgirl sister hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  09:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- you are amazing. You do so much- you just bring a smile to my face!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  5:54:06 PM  Show Profile
Ya'll are so sweet. She is a great lady. And yes, she has traveled all over the world. She taught school for 10 years and would go during the summer to places and she'd take pictures and show them to her students. She was teacher of the year one year. She taught my kids art when I homeschooled them. She made pottery and I still have alot of her things she's given me through the years.

I talked to her yesterday. She's doing great. She's been "helping" the gardener. She's been telling him waht to do really.And taking walks. She's been tired. But I think it's because she was so stressed out about going for so long. She'll be good and rested soon. But she sounded really good. I miss her. I wake up and think I need to get going and then I remember she's not here now.

And I saw my frien's father last night at churc. Talked to him awhile. He does seem to have alzheimers. He talks like he's still working. He was in the military. Talks alot about that. I am still thinking about what to do. I really think Kansas needs to be homeschooled right now. At least til she can settle down some.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  04:06:09 AM  Show Profile
We sure did.

This lady was like the grandmother I never was able to get or feel close to.

Ruth was one of those who would speak their mind...but it a really funny way.

She was an excellent gardener and master canner. I learned how to pressure can beans from her, and never will forget.

DH and I used to help do her yard work. When she felt better, she used to join us for a few minuts, then alwyas have a meal ready when we were finished.

Sadly she IS still living.....barely I say. Altzhimer's is a cruel disease. Her house still stands and all her stuff is stil in there, and we still maintain some of the oustide plants and landscaping. But she is obviouisly in a nursing home. We visit a few times year.

Sorry for the hole in your life, hopefully you can and should visit.

That's so neet about her teaching your kids about art and things.

Continue to cherish the time left for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  05:11:57 AM  Show Profile
I read your post and it brought tears to my eyes. You were such a blessing to each other. I think just handfulls of people really have a Mrs. T. (a lifes teacher) in their lives. She is non-replacable as she probably feels just the same about you. Thank you for sharing your blessings.
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  8:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I think you are one awesome lady.....and a southern one to boot!! I also think, maybe YOU need a little break?? Get into another routine, or maybe no routine at all for a bit, could you handle that?? Let each day come as it will....see how you feel, and then the answer will come to you!! In the meantime, take good care of you!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  10:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll are so sweet. Anna, I'm glad you have such a great grandmother. Even though she has alzheimer's she can still be a blessing to everyone where she is now. I keep in touch with Mrs. T and her DD. They called again the other day. They want me to come there but I will probably not go. It's a 3-4 hour flight from Atlanta. I just can't even think about flying. If I could just brive down to the Keys and take a boat I might do it. It's awful to be so afraid of flying.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic I Feel Lost Already Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page