kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  4:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I fixed the big stall out in the goat barn for my 13 Buff hens and Jimmy Buffet the roo. I caught them all last night and put them in it. I have a long wire nester and made some roosts for them. Right now I just have chicken wire over the entrance. I need to make a nice door that's easy to get in. I also need to hang the feeder and waterer. I am only going to feed them laying mash and hope maybe I'll get some eggs soon. Yhey are about 6 1/2 months now.

Maybe this weekend I will make a run outside for them and cut a little hole in the wall so they can get outside. I am only going to make it about 3' high and put chicken wire on the top so they CAN'T get out. There is a big opening facing south at the end of the stall, so they will get plenty of sun and heat for now.

I really hate to cage them up but they were just all over the place. I am also selling 14 other hens to a friend. Plus I am giving away all my guineas to my soap making friend. And someone else is getting the 6 roos to butcher soon. Now if I can catch all the little game hens and roos, I'll not have any poultry running around any more! I can't even feed my dogs and cats because of all these birds. It will be so much nicer then. And much less stress for me. I might even put Hildi and Summer in with the Buffs.

Now I can sit back and wait on all the eggs I'll get soon!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  5:29:33 PM  Show Profile
When I found 5 eggs, I thought several were laying. Now, it appears that only 1 hen is laying, I just didn't see the eggs for 5 days.
Figures!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1404 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1404 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  5:40:48 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother would not let her hens outside during the coldest of the winter. She said that they would quit laying. Is this true?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  5:46:02 PM  Show Profile
Betty, most hens quit or at least slow way down in egg production in the winter, when they are molting, and some in extreme heat. If you want hens that lay all year, get an egg production breed like sex links. As far as letting them out side when its cold, it just goes back to most don't lay when its cold period.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  2:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, our hens are shut in the really nasty winter weather, but nice sunny days, even cold ones, they can get outside. Boy howdy, I hear you about chickens running around loose!!!!! They are like little cows, poop everywhere, and get into anything! Mine are all in their coop.
Before the divorce, my dhx made a drawbridge door on the chicken hole in the coop. Nice weather I let the draw bridge down with a rope tied to the end of the board, other end hinged to bottom of hole---making a ramp down when opened. the rope comes up through a hole in the wall with a large hook is fastened. I pull the rope, pulling up the draw bridge, and then tie the rope to the hook, efectively locking the hens up for the night, weather, etc. Love that little gizmo and took about an hour to make.
And yup, they have quit laying by half now, and starting the molt right well. Miss those eggs, but still getting about 3 a day. Lorna Jean

we create our own economy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  2:43:09 PM  Show Profile
No eggs here yet. I had to put these hens up because I am si tired of all the chickens all over the place. They even get on the porches and look in the door. They get on the dining room window ledge and look in. Now that's cute. But still. I am ok with putting them in a nice big area where they get plenty of sun (it faces South) and they'll have a run soon.

I am going to take all my guineas to a friends next week. And sell the rest of the chickens. Someone's supposed to come get these roosters to butcher.

I have a great bif feeder full of laying mash in the coop. And that's all these girls are going to get. I am still waiting on some eggs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2009 :  4:07:21 PM  Show Profile
I keep a light on in my coop. door always open they can be inside or out in the run. Usually they keep right on laying all Winter. production drops some, but still get enough to eat. and we are in Northern Michigan where Winter can be vicious
Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  12:41:54 AM  Show Profile
A note on winter laying hens: I have Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and RIR's. They all lay all year long. They slow some in the winter, but they do not stop laying.

getting ready.....
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  03:54:30 AM  Show Profile
These are Buff, too. And just 6 1/2 months so they have not started laing yet. That's why I put them up, to get them to start. Everyone else who has Buffs the same age has eggs now. I also have Barred Rock, Americana and Anconda that are the same age that I am selling to a friend.

I don't have this barn wired for electric yet and I would have to have lots of extension cords to put a light out there. Maybe that will be a project to put on the list. I really should have lights back there for the goats, too. Maybe some day.

And that's why I got the Buffs. I heard they were good layers and would lay all year long. So we'll see soon, I hope!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  08:06:42 AM  Show Profile
I had Buffs too Light is the key factor in the egg laying cycle I also had to string lots of extension cords but it was worth it in eggs.The next year I found a great 24 hour timer and it was set to come on at 6am and off at 8pm. Had tons of eggs

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile
I am so mad!!! My Buff Roo just attacked me 3 times while I was trying to reach for an egg! He is so pretty and I love to hear him crow, but I ain't a gonna stand for that!

Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Well it's either gonna be the shovel for a good whack or the stew pot!!!

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  5:58:49 PM  Show Profile
ya Im afraid ours (roos) are in the freezer I know it is there nature to "do what they do" but I hated seeing the hens be grabbed by the neck and jumped on. Now Im not afraid to go into the hen house and play with the girls.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  6:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Gena, I am so sorry he did that. Just take a stick in with you and let him know who's boss. My Jimmy is so sweet. So far. He's never even acted like he was going to attack. And he's very docile with the girls, too. I have seen him try a few times to mount them but they just pitch the awfullest fit I ever heard and run. It's funny but I feel sorry for the poor boy. And he is gorgeous, too. That's why I wanted Buffs because the roos are so handsome. I hope he learns who's boss real soon. Don't let him know you are scared or he'll keep doing this. You have to be the bigger "rooster". So don't back down!!!

Diana, that sounds like a good idea with a timer. Did you mean to say you kept it on all day? And how many hens did you have?

Kai, I have 6 roos that need to go in the freezer. If I can't find someone to take them, I guess I'll start doing a few a day next week. I have to get in the mood to do it. I love home grown chicken.

I still have no eggs. They haven't even been in the nesters yet. I put one in a nest this morning to see if she;d fit. She did. She jumped right back out. There are several with bright red combs now. So I am still hoping.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  9:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes all day in the coop (no windows init at all)they did have an outside pen to got to but we have a very little sun on what I call the dark side of the hill. durning the winter we have a fog that is here most every day and like I said very little sun. I also used it for a small amount of heat.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  9:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Why have roosters they are mean.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  10:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Kris, sounds like you are really cleaning house(so to speak). My dad always used to use a timer when we had chickens in NH when I was a kid. It kept production up in the winter because we sold the eggs.

Glad to hear of someone else with young buffs who aren't laying yet. Mine are about 5 mos old and I keep looking every day, to no avail. I have some old girls and some boys that I need to get to butcher here soon too if things will slow down enough for me to get to do it.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!
I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I just thought that they would raise little ones. I also love to hear him crow. He had been the sweetest boy, then WHAM. I don't know why he did that. I did kick him every time he got me. I have been afraid to go back since. My DH has been taking care of them. I am having knee surgery on Monday, and I can not have any cuts on my legs, or they won't do the surgery.
After I recoop, I will try again. He has not attacked my DH

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  04:34:34 AM  Show Profile
There are some mean roos out there. When I had Russell Crowe he was great. The best roo ever. He took such good care of all the hens. Just a real gentleman. The he got taken by some alien creature one night. His son, RC, Jr. is doing a good job so far. But Jimmy, the Buff roo, is somewaht of a chicken. He doesn't do much. He does not act at all like Russel did with his girls. But he is young yet, so I'll see how he is later.

Hey Cindy. Haven't seen you around here lately. How are the sheep doing? Sounds like you're busy out there in Idaho.

Gena, I hope all goes well with your surgery tomorrow. Which knee? And what all are they going to do? Will you be in the hospital long? It's good to have a hubby that will help with chores, huh? Mine would probably not. He wouldn't know what to do. I'd have to train him! Please let me know how it all turns out Monday. I'll be thinking of you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  05:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I am having a partial left knee replacement. It will be done by a robot. I am told it will be alot quicker recovery. I can't take a shower for 2 WEEKS!! SHU WEE!! If everything goes great, I will only have to stay overnight. My biggest concern is, I have to be able to take pain med by mouth before I go home. Pain Meds usually make me so sick, so we will see.
I have to be there at 5:40 tomorrow morning, so I should be finished up by lunch.
Thanks for thinking of me. I am soo looking forward to getting back to my normal routine. I have to care for my parents also!!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  07:12:39 AM  Show Profile
gena sounds like your plate is full. if i was there i would help you too. i know how it is with dh that do not know how to do house or outside chores. i will be saying a little prayer tomorrow. our one rooster just about took my eye out with his spur. i bent to pick up a feeder and forgot about him. as they get older they are more possesive and aggresive. he will not stop now. i would kill him or turn him out away from hens. he will soon attack your husband too. just a thought for you.i cared for my mom for 10 yrs. here at our place. its a big job alone. please remember to cut yourself some slack when you feel overwhelmed. happy thoughts sherrye
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Kris-
About your hens laying My DH put golf balls in about half of there nesting boxes and they so far almost always lay eggs in there boxes. We got our Rocks, americanas, Black Australorps in the spring and they started laying in second week of august. It took a good month in a half until they were all laying. I dont know if your buffs would be a lot different. Days are getting shorter now too may be not helping.

Edited by - kmc on Nov 08 2009 11:10:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  12:15:00 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I will ever get chicks again in the spring if they aren't going to lay til the next spring. That's just crazy. That's what the feed store guy said. That's a whole year of feeding chickens for nothing. I am just a little discouraged about the whole deal. I have never had so much problems with chickens til we moved here. I have had Barred Rock hens that would start out laying great, then stop. I'll sell them and they start laying again right away. If these guys don't do something I might just put them all in the freezer. They are huge birds.

I guess I need to try the golf balls. I used to have 3 fake eggs. They are still in the other hen house under tons of straw. I'll never find them again. I do have some store bought white eggs. I should go put them in a few nests. That'd work.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  12:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Kris- good luck!!!! Hang in there its bound to get better. I hope the eggs work. We are new to the chicken world so it is trial and error here. I am concerned about winter coming. I have visions of coming home and my DH will be building a roost in the basement. He loves "his girls".
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  1:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, thanks for the words of encouragement. About the roo, thanks for telling me that he probably won't quit flogging me. I will do something with him. When I ordered these chicks, I had too many and gave a friend of mine 8 pullets. They were wanting to borrow my roo, so guess what, They can HAVE him!!!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile
I have never worried about my chickens in the winter and they have never frozen. I don't even close upu the sides either. The wall facing south only has chicken wire on it. I have put up plastic before but don't anymore and they all made it through last winter. I don't put heat lamps out there either. I remember the first year I had chickens and goats. I had a really nice hen house with a door and no windows. They were very cozy. My goats had kids near the end of winter and it was freezing. I put them in the hen house and put a heat lamp in there and shut the door. That next morning I saw smoke coming out the bottom of the door. I ran out there and the goats had knocked the heat lamp down into the straw and it was just smouldering. The hen house was full of smoke and all the animals in there. It was awful. My goats got pneumonia and almost dies. I lost a few hens. It was horrible. I don't think I want to go through that again. Bug vet bill, too. Fire department and the whole nine yards. Very scary.

So I don't close up the hen houses after that. They have plenty of feathers to keep them warm. Goats get plenty of straw bedding. Good enough.

Good idea, Gena. Give him away! A friend of mine had bought some straight run Buff chicks and of course got way more roos. They were mean boys. She had them all butchered. I can't imagine butchering my Jimmy Buffet. H's too sweet so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Hens Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page