kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  8:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Mary- It is kinda hard to find and I bought mine quite awhile ago so Im not sure where to find it now. I can send you some if you want to trade something for it just email me. Quilt stores and fabric stores might have it. Quilt stores online might have it.
Kai
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2009 :  8:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Mr. Arthur"itis" has inflamed my fingers also, but so far the doctor has been able to keep the joint enlargement away. I have problems seeing all the little threads, but I still love my quilting and, in fact, am quilting my DGD two quilts for Christmas and her Dad (my son) will be getting one too. Most of my quilts I just give away to family and friends. It is sort of sad though because the majority of people don't realize the cost that goes into creating a beautiful quilt.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  05:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kai, for your sweet offer! I definately noticed that the type batting I need is hard to come by.
I'll email you!
My Best,
Mary
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  06:36:13 AM  Show Profile
good morning QuiltChicks! I am so glad that I found you. I also love quilting and have been doing it for about 20 years. I have made many quilts that I have gifted to others and have many tops left to quilt. I piece by machine, quilt by hand and machine and do machine and hand applique'.

I was a very active member at one time of the Colorado Springs Quilt Guild (President/Secretary and all-around volunteer), Colorado Quilt Council and am now a member of Lakeview Quilters Guild in Houston, TX. I encourage any of you who are close to a guild to join if you can.

I would like to join the henhouse if it has been established yet - does anyone know?

I would also like to participate if you do a block exchange, especially if it's a "signature-type" exchange. I have much experience with round robins and just completed one associated LQG. I have a couple of very awesome quilts and a couple of clunkers, but every one of them means something to me because of the memories associated with them.

Sorry this is so long! I'm just so happy to have found you all!

Happy quilting!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I found the henhouse and have sent an e-mail to Brian requesting that I be added.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  3:47:30 PM  Show Profile
jonnie,
If you want to do a friendship block exchange like you were talking about, you are welcome to host it and figure out the rules for it and stuff. Sounds like it would be fun. Go for it...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  3:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I second that Beverley! Jonnie please host a friendship block exchange! I would love to be in it.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  4:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary.
In response to your potholder question, there is a special batting that is heat-proof. It is just for that purpose. The name escapes me right now, (having a menopause moment...), but if you look in quilting catalogs or online, you will find it. When I remember the name, I will let you know. ha
Melody Farm Girl #833
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile
I can't remember its name either but I do know it has a layer of aluminum foil in the mix.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1683 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1683 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  5:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I've been quilting for some time and love it. I'm really laid back and don't rush when I quilt. I design the quilts that my children have and there grown and moved out of the house. afew years back I made a Christmas quilt that was entirely pinwheels. I usually stitch by machine and then hand quilt or quilt by the machine.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Melody and Mary,
Its called Insul-Bright. You can purchase it by the yard at most fabric shops.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  11:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
I also sent a email to Brian asking to be added to the quiltchicks, does anyone know how long it will take?
I've started on the mystery quilt and I'm having trouble with the new easy angel slipping around. Is it little
sandpaper dots we put on the back, and do we use 180 grit for that?
Please help!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  05:37:13 AM  Show Profile
Debbie,

Yes, sandpaper dots. I bought mine ready-made at a quilt shop, so don't know what the grit number is. You can probably just cut little squares of whatever fine-grit sandpaper you have laying around and put them on with double-sided tape. There is also a film that you can buy to put on your rulers - again at a quilt shop.

I email Brian yesterday and he added me already, so it shouldn't take long.

As for the block exchange, let me think about it, OK? I'm really busy these days and, from the looks of things, that will continue. I don't know if I want to add something else to my plate. If you guys have any suggestions or ideas about how you would like the swap to look, post them here and we'll "talk" about it. Before we do this, I need to make sure that everyone would be committed to getting their blocks in the mail on time, probably on a monthly basis, and anyone who gets more than two weeks behind is automatically dismissed from the group without any questions unless arrangements are made in advance for the blocks to be late. I know that sounds tough, but the biggest problems with exchanges like this are people not keeping their word.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  06:59:26 AM  Show Profile
The exchange could be just a one time block exchange of friendship blocks and that way no one would get behind? We could wait till after Christmas too since I think everybody is really busy right now with the holidays. just a few thoughts...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  07:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Insul- Bright tip. I'll be on the lookout!
Mary LD
Texas
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  07:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, Beverley. someone said (and I thought) round robin. that means an exchange for a period of time. I've never done just a friendship block exchange, so not sure how to organize that. Is that like a charm square swap? And, I absolutely agree about waiting until after Christmas.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  08:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I am willing to host the friendship/signature block exchange. Is that Ok with everyone? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. But, I am biting at the bit to get it started. lol

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile
Go for it, Julie!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  09:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Great! I will post on it's own thread. Watch for it.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  09:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I looked all over for Insul- bright earlier this year when I was making pot holders. I couldn't find it, so ended up using cotton batting and pieces of towels cut up. It worked great, 2 layers of towel, one of batting, but I'm thinking the insul-bright would be much easier! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I'll have to go ask at my favorite mennonite fabric shop.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  09:46:21 AM  Show Profile
I just googled this and here are a few of the links that I found for Insul-Bright. Looks like it's distributed by Warm N Natural (they also do great quilt bats). Check with your local quilt shops, too.

http://www.sewthankful.com/InsulBrightInsulatedLiningPage.html

http://www.warmcompany.com/ibpage.html

http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?product=Notions_Misc&productid=InSul_Bright&tracking5=froogle

http://www.overrainbow.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?product=warmnnaturalbatting&productid=warmnnaturalinsulbright&tracking5=froogle

http://www.weekendkits.com/insul-bright-insulated-lining.html

There were a bunch more.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  5:03:06 PM  Show Profile
cool about the friendship blocks!!! I am in. I will watch for it's own thread...

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  6:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
The friendship block thread is posted.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  12:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I'ld like to do the friendship block also. Thanks Jonnie for the tip on the film to put on the ruler, it's working
really well.
I still haven't heard back from Brian or Rene.
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to all the new quilting farmgirls. Sew happy I too quilt but I enjoy very many crafts. Hope to be sewing with some of yous and getting to know you all better.

http://cinnamongirlsthreads.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilting Friends Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page