Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Urban Homesteading...Calling all gardeners!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Urban Homesteading...Calling all gardeners! Next Topic  

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  07:38:26 AM  Show Profile
While awaiting my final flight out of the city... I am forced to bloom where I am planted, so to speak.

I am wondering if there are any other city dwellers with dreams of country life? If so I would like to invite you to talk about our hopes, dreams.. plans.. And our city gardens! I love the concept of Urban Homesteading...All gardeners and their advice is greatly appreciated!

The Farm Girl Lives!
Tawanda!

I invite you to click on my blog link... There you will see my Urban Homestead and its "roots"!

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

Edited by - JennyWren on Mar 22 2006 08:35:19 AM

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  07:05:03 AM  Show Profile
I've got hopes for my yard this year. It's small and surrounded by large trees, so it's both shady and full of squirrels (I'm not sure which is worse!) However, I've been watching what comes up there since we moved in three years ago, and I've noticed that some plants do quite well in certain spots.

I'm hoping to get some trellises, both to take advantage of the sunny spots and to provide some screen between our yard and the neighbors. Our immdediate neighbors are very nice, but we have a lot of project cars which might be seen as junk by some. One thing you have to worry about in an urban homestead is how things look to the neighbors. You want nice people to move in, not people who think, "oh this is a slum, just the place for my crackhouse!"

Any suggestions on how to make a cheap but attractive and sturdy trellis? Has to be sturdy, because the trellis would essentially be the fence, not just a framework leaning up against a solid building.
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  11:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amie,

I know what you mean.. I finally put up a 6' fence that goes around the perimeter of my back yard up to the front of the house, with locks on both gates. For those of you who don't live in the city.. BE GLAD! What I do.. is I basically "manicure" the front of my house.. So anyone who just looks at the house thinks it's just like all the rest
But when you walk through the gate it is like the secret garden.. It is so cool! Because it is like another world. Truly it is my escape from the reality of city life. But anyone could do it.
I have ring neck doves that I put out in a large pen that is on the side of the house.. they coo so it sounds nice too. I planted climbing rose bushes and aother vine type plants, and trained them to go up the fence so from the inside.. when everything is in full bloom you can barely see the fence. Then I filled in with veggies. We planted a butterfly garden. And tons of dill so that the butterflies lay eggs. My daughter and I harvest the eggs.. and let them spin coccoons. Then we let the butterflies go after they have emerged, so they naturalize here. I swear over the last few summers there are more butterflies! We also have a resident bunny, that lives in a big pen. Well.. it isn't a farm.. but it will do until we have one of our own! I would LOVE to add a couple of ducks. We have had them in the past. I haven't decided yet on that one.

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  5:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Wow Carla, sounds like you have a huge backyard and with such neat stuff. I have never known anyone who harvested butterfly eggs to have in their yard - very cool

I am also a urban gardener. I live in Portland Oregon and have a pretty good size yard for being right in the city. Someday we will get our 6' privacy fence up in the backyard, but for now I screen us from the neighbors with a huge butterfly bush and tree mallow. The other side of the yard, those neighbors have a big hedge, so that works pretty good. I have a raised bed veggie garden with a nice solid trellis for my raspberries and boysenberry vines. We put in a cedar sided tool/potting shed in the back corner of our yard and again I have a nice trellis for the climatis. We have resident squirrels, butterflys and year round hummingbirds (two) we get more varieties in the summer. Also many types of birds visit us. For a while there was flopear rabbit roaming between yards, but haven't seen him for about a year. Also from time to time we have raccoons. We have lived here for about 9 years, so the yard is constantly changing and improving. I have planted almost all of the items in the yard, not much was here when we moved in. Right now my daffodils and hyacinth's are blooming. Soon the dogtooth (some call it wolf's tooth) will bloom. I have naturlized heirloom bleeding hearts too. Have gotten a good start on spring pruning - roses, blueberries, tree mallow, etc. Hope to be done within a couple of weeks.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  6:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anne,

My daughter Marianna (Farm Girl Mari) is the one who loves butterflies. It all started when she was undergoing chemotherapy and all she wanted for Christmas was a butterfly! YIKES... I found a butterfly farm in Florida that sent us chrysalis' in December! The woman was so nice to us.. she told us how to attract butterflies and then collect the eggs. We have been doing it ever since.

My family is leaning towards a trip to Oregon to look at property (we can't move until we are all out of college).. What zone are you in there? We are zone 5.

I would love to see your garden, it sounds lovely! .. I love bleeding hearts too.

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe

Edited by - JennyWren on Mar 23 2006 6:42:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  07:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Carla -

Portland is at the North end of the Willamette Valley. Our zone is 8. If you go over the Cascade Mountains to Eastern/Central Oregon then the zone goes to 3. We can grow just about anything. Occasionally it gets real cold in the winter but for short periods and sometimes kinda hot in the summer, but overall temperatures are in the low 40's in the winter and average low 80's in the height of summer. Where are you planning at looking at property here in Oregon? I went out and read your blog - you're right about German's and gardening. My father is from the "motherland" and after they sold the farm and moved into town he has been very busy in my Mom's garden, he loves to grow stuff. I think I get that from him.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  10:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anne,

To be honest with you, I have not been in on all of the conversations between my husband and son about this subject. I seem to remember the Hood River region..?? All I requested was an extremely rural region. I have lived in the city all of my life and I have had enough of it. Which region would you suggest?

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile
I "spoke" (back and forth via email) the other day with a woman who keeps goats in the city.... Does anyone else keep goats, chickens, ducks or any other types of animals in the city? If so I would love to know!

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  3:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Carla -

Hood River is a nice area - it is east of Portland down the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful and close to skiing and hiking. However it has become a mecca for wind surfing and can get quite a few people in the area doing this sport. Also the whole gorge area not only gets windy but can get some of the nastiest weather in the winter - snow and ice because you get those cold east winds coming. I grew up further south in the valley. DH and I have always talked about getting out of the city just before we retire (many years from now) and either moving North to the San Juans in Washington or south and east to the Mt. Angel/Silverton area. Mt. Angel/Silverton might be more to your liking. Your at the foot of the silver hills - beautiful waterfalls up there, etc. The farmland is wonderfully rich and can grow alot of stuff. Both Mt. Angel and Silverton are small towns that have kept their heritage which is German and Swedish for Mt. Angel and Silverton was an old silvermining town - so many historic buildings have been refurbished. Also another wonderful place to live again is south down the valley and now west towards the coast. McMinnville/Sheridan area. McMinnville has a small private college and revived historic business district - still a small town. Sheridan is a bit south and further west of McMinnville, again a small agricultural town. This whole area is home to vineyards and some wonderful wineries. Many places to pick from, you just have to come out and take a look around.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  8:45:35 PM  Show Profile
I talked to my D.H. tonight.. he said he was going to look at the Mt. Angel and Silverton areas..He likes it that there are Germans there.. I think that would be nice. As we are thinking will probably bring his Mom and Dad here (they still live in Germany), his Dad is retired and his Mom is retiring next year, both have good pensions and can afford to come here, an area that has some Germans in will probably help them adjust. I did give him McMinnville and Sheridan areas to look up too. I am excited about this! Even if we just go for a week or two to look around.. and look at property.. I think it would be great. Thank you for telling me about it! If you think of any other areas.. let me know.

Have a nice evening!

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  9:49:06 PM  Show Profile
All 4 areas are beautiful Carla. I grew up not to far from Mt. Angel and SIlverton. In fact Anne and I grew up in the "towns" next to each other. My Brother was born in McMinville and it is really a pretty place.
We live in town on a double lot. I would love to live on a farm again, like I did as a child. But for now we have our little piece of earth. I do have a good sized veggie bed with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and red currents. Herb bed with lots of flowers. Two apple trees, a Gavenstein and King, I think.
Log for a fence for privacy and to keep the nasty deer out of my yard. they have really given me fits since we moved here.
Property here goes from generation to generation. Plus it is sky high. there is a lot of timberland too.
So, I dream of chickens and Nubian goats and a view that doesn't look into my neighbors window.
When will you be done with college?

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  10:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia,

Well.. When I am finished with college is kind of a funny question at my house.. As you see when I finally got a chance to go to college.. I went bananas! I have been a parent since I was 17.. I have 3 children.. spaced 10 years apart.. So going to college for me was a dream of a lifetime.. as I for sure could not have done it before. So I had 3 majors.. and if I would have continued on.. I would have been paying for my student loans with my social security money! haha.. So what I did was decided on a different major/career. I will be done in about a year and a half. Which is a good thing.. My husband is relieved.. that there is light at the end of the tunnel.. I decided to get into agriculture. I am happy about the choice.

As I was looking at the Mt. Angel/Silverton areas on the Internet.. I was awestruck at how truly beautiful Oregon is! How lucky that you live there.. I would be looking for a small farm.. I am hoping that I will find a Grandma/Grandpa who would like to sell their farm to someone who will love it as much as they do. Time will tell... The fun thing for us for now.. is just being able to come out and look around.

Your garden sounds wonderful! I am hoping that my blueberries turn out this year.. I just checked on them today.. and there seems to be some growth going on! Thank goodness for spring!

What are your winters like?

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  04:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clara, welcome! I checked out your blog and liked it but I guess you have it set so no comments can be left? I too lost my dad a few years ago, I owe it to him for my love of gardening and am blessed I got his green thumb. He would be proud of you for keeping up the urban homesteading, so keep planting and keep those pictures posted on your blog. May I add your blog to my list?

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Carla -

Our winters are usually mild. Sometime in January/February we get snow all the way to the valley floor but only for a few days, then it is gone. Temperatures stay around the 40's during the day and at night dip in the 30's. The Willamette Valley is between the coast range and the Cascades, so we are kinda protected from severe weather. Summers, not too hot, probably from August to the first part of October can be our warmest time of the year - which it can get to 100 +, but again only for a few days and then the ocean air comes over the coast range and cools us off. We do have alot of gray days during the winter when you don't see the sun and this year we went 34+ days of rain, which was a bit much for even the hardiest of Oregonians. But I guess that is what keeps everything green.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2006 :  10:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi...

Thank you ever so much for being so kind.. as to say my Dad would be proud of me. If you only knew.. what a strained relationship I had with my Dad when I was younger (like many people, I realize this) you would know how much I appreciate that comment. I will turn on the comment option, my son told me to turn it off, because sometimes people are not very kind. I will turn it back on. Please add me to your blog list! I am honored!

Oregon sounds wonderful! We too went for 40+ days without sun.. a new record for this area (Milwaukee WI)

We went to an open house for CSA's (community supported agriculture) in our area on Saturday http://www.urbanecologycenter.org/csa/csa.html .
Has anyone thought about becoming one? I have a friend who is seriously considering selling at farmer's markets and her backyard gardens are not much bigger than mine.. I would like to try this on a small scale this year and see how it goes.

Take care,

Carla...

-- Goethe

Edited by - JennyWren on Mar 27 2006 10:07:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I've only gotten nice comments and good ideas from posts left on my blogs, plus family and friends like to pop in to say hey! As to your Dad, not all relationships have to be close to be powerful, and it shows just how much he left with you to carry on, so of course he would be proud of you, so enjoy your gift and pass it on, roots and wings!!

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  3:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I live smack dab in the middle of Dallas and am attempting to bloom where planted... I just started my first garden (all in pots since I'm in a duplex with a tiny yard that is needed for dogs). I also have a LOT of shade... think I may have to move my little container garden to the front just to make it grow! We'll see once the trees leaf out. I've been doing a little research on getting a couple of chickens. I'm getting married in 3 and a half weeks, and after that we're going to try and build a small coop for the yard and get two or three. I will MOST DEFINATELY be the "Crazy Chicken Lady of Tremont Street", but, hey-- all the kids of the neighborhood are going to LOVE us! hahaha...

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  04:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Love your spirit Lacy and your blog!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  05:56:20 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe that so many of you can keep chickens in your city yards. And did I notice someone mentioning goats?! I've heard that New York is one of the most tightly regulated states, and I guess it's really true.
In my city, there was a huge battle about 15 years ago about a woman who was keeping a miniature horse in her house (basically, it was like a big dog). That's the only time anyone's even raised the issue of animals other than the standard pets, as far as I know. My husbands former neighbors used to slaughter live chickens in a religious ritual, but I don't think they kept them long before doing it.
It would be interesting to know: what are the local laws about animal husbandry are in different metro regions? How many of you know for sure that you can keep animals?

-Amie
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  06:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I acutally did research into the ordinances and called animal control about the chickens. They are just considered normal backyard pets. You can't have roosters (for obvious reasons) and I think you also can't have hooved animals in Dallas... If you call the animal control office in your city, they'd probably have the information you need. I know I used to live in Los Angeles and in my neighborhood (which was pretty low-income) chickens (even roosters!) were a pretty regular occurance. People have just lost the desire to keep them. In fact, there was an article in today's Dallas Morning News about a man that keeps chickens in Dallas! Just like us farmgirls, they're on the way back!

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  07:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Even for us city people.. there is a new breed of chicken called a Serama. They weigh less than a pound, (they are smaller than a bantam). Have all the fun things of a regular chicken, but are small enough that they don't cause problems. And even the 'roo's are quieter. (my parrots are louder).. And they have "diet size" eggs. Which are every bit as nice as a regular egg, it just takes about 3 to equal one egg.

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  08:23:26 AM  Show Profile
I've been looking at my city code and apparently there are specific situations in which you can keep chickens, cows, and even horses within the city limits. You have to be licensed annually by the police department, and there are all kinds of requirements that must be met. I haven't found out exactly what they are yet, but the nice lady I just spoke to at City Hall says that there really are people who keep livestock here. They tend to live on the outskirts of the city, though. She says that the neighborhood associations usually raise a huge fuss and find ways to put a stop to any animal husbandry. I've had some dealings with my neighborhood association before, and I would gladly take them on again, so I'm looking forward to getting all the info. I honestly never thought about keeping chickens here, but I may just do it.
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  10:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amie,

The Serama are literally small enough to keep in a cage if need be, they are about the size of a man's hand. www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sri/BRKSri.html I would recommend all hens, then you would not have problems. Especially if the concern this year will be with bird flu. I plan on keeping mine indoors.

-- Goethe

Edited by - JennyWren on Apr 05 2006 5:04:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  2:52:51 PM  Show Profile
It is amazing to me how creative people can be... I enjoy this forum so much! I would really enjoy hearing how other people with limited space, or city people, or before you had a farm what you did to make the most of it... How did you express your Farmgirl self...?

-- Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Urban Homesteading...Calling all gardeners! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page