Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Urban homesteading...gardening around tree roots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Urban homesteading...gardening around tree roots Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  07:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Since my yard is surrounded by big trees, there are large roots close to the surface in approximately half the yard. I'm wondering how to grow things above these roots. I really can't dig up the soil at all where these roots are (I tried last year)so I'm hoping that I can build up instead.

Can I just dump a lot of dirt on top of the roots to cover them up? Should I build raised beds? How deep do I have to build up the soil in order to grow perennials and small shrubs? Most plans I've seen for raised beds assume that you can dig down at least a foot or so into the existing soil.

If any of you have experience with this situation, I'd really love any input you can give me.

Amie

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Last year I planted around an oak tree we have in the back.I built up the area with manure then loam.It was about a foot deep.I grew a mix between annuals and perennials.I have some of the perennials starting to come up again.It has been cold here until a few days ago.I tried this as an experiment and I also did the same thing around an old tree stump we have.They both worked great.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alicia. That sounds a lot like what I'm thinking about trying under the big maple at our fenceline. I think I will need to make a bed of some sort to contain the soil, so it doesn't spill through the chain link fence into the neighbors' yard.

This is a weird spot because it is mostly shady from the tree, yet it is our only southern exposure. Stuff seems to get a lot of sun and grow well right at the fence line, and then nothing but a spreading groundcover weed grows in the yard (I think it's called veronica or ground ivy). I'm hoping to try planting some rasberries and other shrubs along the fence line in my built up soil, and then replace the ground ivy with woodland shade plants.

-Amie
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  7:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Amie,
It depends on the kind of tree it is. Maples as well as many other trees have invasive roots. No matter how much you build up the soil and even with raised beds, the roots within one year will consume the top 12 inches. The tree wants its root system to stay on the top 12 inches of soil.
I have struggled for years with this exact problem and have converted to the potted or self contained planter boxes. It works great even with veggies and bushes etc. You can even grow things would'nt be able to normally and if you have room you can put them in your cellar or barn for the winter and grow warm weather plants.
The roots also take up all of the water and most shad plants perfer it on the damp side so the roots kill tham that way also.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  06:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Amie
I also have lots of large trees, the only thing I can get to grow around them is ground cover, like ivy or pachysandra, the pachysandra grows the fastest.Lots of water because of tree roots. When first planted put some top soil and peet down, once they take hold you won't have to do that again.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amie...

My Dad had the same problem, every year he tried to add extra soil etc. Eventually the roots came right up to the surface. He built a circle planter, using Lannon Stone around the circumferance of the tree. He made it extra wide. It was about 3 feet high, then filled it with soil, in it he could plant impatiens. It looked wonderful.

Hope this helps!

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  06:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks for the warning. I'll have to give more thought to containers.

I really want to plant some shrubby or vining things back there, including an evergreen. I'm hoping to form a pretty solid screen without putting up a fence, because the fence would block my southern light. I was thinking about hops vines, evergreen witch hazel, and blackberries for the parly sunny spots, and bittersweet for the more shady area. I've never seen any of these mentioned as candidates for containers, so I'll have to do some more research.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Be careful about adding too much soil on top of a tree's root area -- maples and oaks will die if their roots are smothered with raised beds. I've seen it here: planting beds built up around a beautiful tree and then in three years the tree is dead.

I think you could do hops in a container -- what about doing two containers and building an archway between them for the hops to scramble across -- they'd probably hang down like a curtain between as well -- hops are such fast growers.

If you want to do perennial plants or shrubs in containers, do some research about how to winter them over -- with some additional insulation around or in the pots, you may achieve success. Here in Chicago we either line the inside of the pots with styro before planting (adding a wall of insulation) or group the pots together next to a building and constructing some insulation walls around them for winter protection.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  7:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Hops in containers with a trellis in between is exactly the plan I decided on yesterday! And I think that in the fall, I'll try building a small raised bed about 3 feet away from the tree for blackberries. I have my compost heap there now, and it hasn't harmed the tree. I'm moving my composting into a small sealed container (trash can) over the summer, because I found out our neighborhood has a rat problem.

Just as an aside...I'm finding that the micro environment over here is totally different from the yard where I grew up, and that's just a few blocks away. The street I live on now was one side of the loop of a harness racing track in the 1890's. This may be crazy, but I think that's why the soil is such hard packed clay. Doesn't explain the rats, though.
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  8:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Gee.... I wish my Dad were still here I would ask him what he did. He put the raised bed around an old maple tree close to 30+ years ago, the tree is huge as ever and doing fine. This was an old established tree.. Maybe that is why it is doing fine.

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Urban homesteading...gardening around tree roots Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page