Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dehydrators Next Topic  

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  11:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
I'm new to the Farmgirl Connection, so I hope I'm doing this right :-) I've been drying foods for storage, and I'm thinking about buying a bigger dehydrator. Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for? I have an American Harvester Snackmaster wit 6 trays and 550 watts of power. It's old, but it still does a pretty good job. I'd appreciate any help you can give me . . . I want to make the RIGHT choice!

Thanks, Carolyn

At home on the banks of the beautiful Suwannee River in North Florida

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE my 12 tray Cabela's dehydrator! I saved for awhile to get it and use it all the time now! I can do 15 pounds of jerky at a time! :)

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  2:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
Great! I've been looking at a 10-tray Cabela's for $150 that sounds very close to the 9-tray Excalibur that costs $250. I'll go back to Cabela's website and take a closer look. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  3:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
Does the Cabela's dehydrator have a door? Do you have to use the screens? One of the comments said the trays have fairly large holes . . . small stuff falls thru. Folks who bought screens said they had a hard time getting them to lie flat???

Thanks again . . .

Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  3:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Mine's just a cheapo but, ooh would I love to have a new fancy one. Hope you end up with a great one!

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
Well, I guess I'm just getting anxious . . . from everything I was able to find out about the Cabela's, it didn't have a door??? I tried to buy an Excaliber 3900 R (for refurbished) directly from Excaliber, but the shipping from CA was high. So, I checked on eBay and was able to get the very same model with free shipping for $159.99. I've ordered it!!! Excited am I I'll let you know when it comes!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  4:17:56 PM  Show Profile
I had opportunity to borrow a friend's Excaliber and when I can afford it I will either purchase the Cabela's or the Excaliber :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 28 2009 6:21:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I've had my excaliber for at least 25 yrs, and i love it. I use it all the time for fruit, some veggys and jerky.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  4:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
Since I already have a dehydrator and know I'll be using it a LOT, I'm using a bit of a small inheritance I just received to invest in those things that will help us survive until our economy recovers :-) The Excaliber I've ordered has a 10-year warranty, so I'll be very happy if it lasts 25 years!!! Hmmm . . . I may have to pass it on to my children, since I'll be 95 by then . . . LOL

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  6:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Since you've already ordered from eBay (isn't it fun to find great deals?) you don't need to know that the Cabela's does have a door. It even has it's own place of honor in the kitchen area lol. I have the reusable "sheets" for making fruit leather, and I haven't ever tried to dry something that's too small for the screens. Anyway...you don't need this info anymore :) Be sure to let us know how much you're loving your new dehydrater when you get it!!!!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Shmemily
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Emily
Hillsboro Ohio
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  06:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Didn't Maryjane suggest one from a woman who makes them and sells them from her home? I haven't bought the book yet and returned it to the library so I can't look up her name for you. But maybe someone who has the book can post that info?
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls I just found this post!!!
Dh just bought a dehydrator from Bass Pro, got it on sale. I know absolutely nothing about them and actually grumbled when he brought it home, cause guess who will be doing all the work?!!!
I do know it is 1,000 watts, and their is a nice instruction book with it.
I don't know the first thing about drying anything. :(
Any tips? Favorite recipes?
I will say when I saw dried garlic my eyes lit up, when I saw dried herbs, I sat straight up in my chair, lol!!! I hate store bought herbs- tasteless, so it will be nice to use the dehydrator to dry my herbs next summer.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  8:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I have had a dehydrator (garage sale find) for about 5 yrs and just started really using it this summer thanks to a push from a friend of mine. So far I have dehydrated lemon balm for teas, lemon thyme, sage, stevia, basil, onions, tomatoes, and jalapenoes. I am addicted to dehydrating. I hope you love your too.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  08:07:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm new to dehydrating. Could you guys give me a list of things you typically dry? I'll have to plan ahead for next year's herbs, but what other types of things are you making?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile
There are about a bazillion dehydrating groups at Yahoo! Groups. Run a search and see if you find one you like. I belong to one group that is all about canning, freezing and dehydrating, but I don't want to push you to that one group, since there are so many to pick from. I'll let you decide which one you might be interested in. BTW, most of those gals are working with Excalibur (sp?) dehydrators and I'm not going to spend THAT much money on something I rarely use. I already have a couple of kitchen appliances that are swell dust collectors.

I go there mostly for the freezing information. I only wish I had time to can things, and I've never had luck with dehydration. I end up spending mega bucks on fruit or veggies or whatever, and then they don't dry correctly and the whole works is wasted. I'm just too busy, I guess.

I use my oven to make crispy nuts and toasted coconut (as in the NT cookbook) and those go over well with my family. We like the coconut to make shrimp, which is a rarity around here. I make BIG batches at one time (and freeze ) because the oven is on for a long period of time.

Hope you find a group you like.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous

Edited by - twink on Nov 08 2009 10:27:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

carolynann
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Carolyn
Branford FL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  7:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Send carolynann an AOL message
I've just put my first load into my new Excaliber . . . my, it does hold a lot! I went to a veggie market over the weekend and picked up a bunch of yellow squash, zucchini, green beans . . . that's what I have in the dryer right now.

Mostly I've dried pears (from our own pear tree), and apples (from an orchard in Henderson, NC). I've experimented with zucchini . . . came out good! One tray in the dehydrator right now is sliced thin for chips . . . I'm anxious to see how that turns out. I did a little eggplant and a cucumber (now sure what to do with a dried cuke . . . we'll see???)

I've got an herb garden in an old boat, so I'm going to try drying some herbs just as soon as I have another block of time.

I bought a book that has recipes for using dehydrated foods . . . I'll let you know how that goes when I've had a chance to try it.

Carolynann

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dehydrators Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page