Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Found out, you CAN burn food cooking on wood stove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Found out, you CAN burn food cooking on wood stove Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  9:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Yep, you can. I proved it today with some tomato sauce that was simmering. I left it there this morning to go to the barn and feed, then got tied up at the barn and didn't get back as soon as I thought. When I finally did get back from the barn, hubby was up and had lit the muther of all fires and there was a smell of something burning, like a cake burning. So, hubby can't smell it. I looked in the pot and the tomato sauce was a nice uneven black color. When I cleaned the pot, the sauce came out in a nice flat block, rounded of course.

So, moral of the story is, a wood stove can burn and you still have to look in every once in a while....

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  08:50:26 AM  Show Profile
LOL, did that with a pot of beans many years ago, boy did it stink the house up, I thought I would never get the smell out.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried cooking much on my woodstove yet. Last year was my first year with one, and I would warm hot cocoa on the stove; and I think I baked a pie pumpkin on it. Wrapped it in foil and stuck it right on the surface...... I watched it though, and it didn't burn. I am sure I will end up doing that at some this winter. :)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  3:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Now Winona that wasn't your fault!!!
If you had been in there, it wouldn't have burned would it, lol!!!
Try it again, I love woodstove cooking, just next time leave a note for hubby! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  8:19:16 PM  Show Profile
We did some applesauce up and burned a bit of it. It was very unfortunate. :(

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  8:37:15 PM  Show Profile
So funny!!!! It seems many of us have done something like that at least one time. My big boo-boo was boiling 12 eggs for a big get-together that evening!!!!!!!! I still laugh about this. Well, I decided I'd get the front yard mowed. Completely forgot about those eggs boiling. By the time I came back in the house, there was egg shells and hard yellow stuff all over the place. And the smell...... Well, my house stunk for a while.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Found out, you CAN burn food cooking on wood stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page