Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fabric glue for felt and interfacing??? HELP!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric glue for felt and interfacing??? HELP!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  06:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Violet's costume is proving to be a bit more challenging than it should be--don't they all???? The directions call for fabric glue, which we purchased-- the glue "says" it's for all "non-sew" fabric needs--crafts, hems, etc...but I think they didn't mean felt.

What sort of glue can I get that will hold 2 pieces of felt together with interfacing--this glue actually just soaked through the fibers.

Here's the thing: I have multiple "layers" of felt that (according to the directions) need to be glued on top of one another (she's going to be an owl, so think "layers of wings". So, it's got to be a product that will hold substantially.

Can I just use like, Gorilla Glue?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Jonni-I think that Gorilla glue might soak through the felt just the same as craft glue. When craft glue dries, you shouldn't be able to see it, so it is probably still okay to use that. You just have to let it dry very well. If you want something sturdier, you might try taking a whipstitch in a couple of places on the wings to hold them together.
Sorry I'm not a better help. Hope things work out. I hope you'll post pics..sounds adorable! :D
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  06:44:48 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking that I might end up sewing it, instead, Jessie. The fabric glue wasn't even adhering--it never even bonded the two pieces together. I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of iron on adhesive I could use, instead of glue? I will buy some clear thread to do some "invisible" stitching.

I will post some pics--I'm hoping it comes together--but I think it will be adorable (if) when it's finished!

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  07:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I was thinking something like stich witchery- like a iron on adhesive. Just be careful not to scorch the felt.
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Some of the fabric glues that are transparent and billed as being 'flexible' would work well on felt but boy, do they give off toxic fumes...if you buy any be sure to use them outdoors! Have you tried a sample piece of your current glue applied with a paint brush instead of squeezed out of the bottle? It'd be a bit messier, of course but you'd get thinner coverage and then not have it running through. My advice would be also to place a piece of waxed paper above and below the glued pieces and weight them down with a book or something to keep them together nicely while they dry. Hope the costume turns out cute!

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I personally would try to stitch it because some glues can leave the fabric stiff! If you want to glue it I would try Liquid Stitch. It should work well on felt.

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:43:53 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I just thought that you NEED to make sure that the felt is wool and not acrylic if you want to use iron on adhesive! Some felt is acrylic and could melt on a hot iron!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  06:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Well... I ended up with a combo of things: there is a "felt" glue that seemed to work. But, I also got some clear thread and will stitch it in strategic places. The elt is the felt that you buy at craft stores, fabric stores, etc...I bought it by the yard and use the wool setting. It's working :) Thanks for your help! She'll probably only allow us to keep the costume on her for a few minutes, anyway, so it SHOULD hold up :)

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric glue for felt and interfacing??? HELP!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page