Page: of 2

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  10:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Yeah, we love it here otherwise, but land is way too expensive!

I'd buy an old farmhouse in a heartbeat if I had the money to! We talk about moving somewhere else, but this is where we're supposed to be at this point in life, so we're here. LOL

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Funny how sometimes we're put someplace, and we don't know why.

Like for DH, why we moved to Summerville. What's our next move? I know why Summerville attracted us, but it still is a small town with its share of problems. It solved a lot of financial problems for us, moving here, and now he is quitting his job (special ed teacher burnout - but he lasted more than twice as long as the average special ed teacher does) and looking for a new occupation, on the self-employed side.

We have yet to find a church we like, which bothers us. And we haven't been able to make a decision, for the first time in our married lives, on what to invest in next. We think we'll go ahead and buy land. But that's this week. What we start discussing next week might be rental properties! Either that, or one of us says "we should do this" and the other says "I don't think so, because XYZ.." For the past YEAR, we just felt like we were lacking guidance, like God didn't want us to do anything yet. If I liked a property, he didn't, and vice versa. And we don't do anything unless we are in agreement.

Right now we're talking land... and for the first time in months, we're in agreement as to the size, how much to spend, and what we should do with it, and what kind of land it should be. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping if this is what God wants us to do, to show us a good piece of land at the price we're willing to pay. ;)
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Lynn, that's funny. Because we're here in WC because it's where God wants us. LOL Hubby is a youth pastor. We left for a position that didn't work out, came back to this area because it was familiar and found a brand new church plant to help start (and now hubby is PT on staff). It doesn't help our financial situation of being in somewhat limbo the past couple of years though, so sometimes we think we'd like to move someplace less expensive. He grew up in WV and me in KS, LOTS less expensive in both places...but God hasn't led us there yet and maybe never will. We go back and forth about what we want to do, but ultimately it's not "our" decision. LOL

If we could find a way to balance our calling with our dreams, that would be a great place to be!

Boy, sounds like we could get along if you were still in the area!!! Bummer. lol

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

teripittman
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Teri
Camas WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  08:17:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by happymama58

I really want to get in this house with as little debt as possible, and I'm willing to rough it to achieve that. Am I crazy? Is this doable? Has anyone here done it?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

No, you're not nuts. Sometimes, things like this are the only way to get to where you really want to go. We're going the trailer route, although our friend's trailer is in such bad shape that I'm not sure what we'll gain by using it. We've got some buildings to scrap out to build an extension and think we can come up with enough to build a small cabin this summer. Most of our stuff is already moved and stored at our friend's old goat barn. All we are waiting on is to sell our current place (which should be June 20th, unless we have a problem with this buyer). We've already got the poultry and I'm buying cashmere goats.

Sometimes you have to throw your heart over the fence and hope that the rest follows ;)
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  12:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
I say go for it. When we bought our 93 acres...we were blessed because it already had a house on it but I would have lived in a cardboard box just to be on the land. If you really want it and you can see spending the rest of your life there...then do it. God bless you on your journey to living your dream.

Fawn
"shallow creek farm"

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  7:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Happy MOMMa,
When my husband and I bought our property we lived in a fifth wheel for a while and built our selves a yurt to live in while we got our place ready to build. My daughter and husband did the same in Wisconsin and are loving it. They have a 2 year old son now and still are in the yurt with 2 wall tents for workshops and storage. You can go to their webb page and click on Owner built yurt to see the process from start to finish of building their yurt.
www. foursongs.com.
You are not nuts but I must tell you it is not easy if you are used to all the luxuries of electricity and a dishwasher. Want to know more about our experiences just send an e-mail to me through the site and I will reply to your questions. If you decide to go for it just be prepared for what you will experience and it will be a good experience. If you go into it with this dreamy notion that it will be a romantic romp you will be disappointed.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I nuts? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page