happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  11:54:53 AM  Show Profile
When our house sells and we are ready to move to the land we think we're getting (waiting on the bank), we will have no house. I would really like to live in a wall tent while we build, and take our time & build ourselves for the most part. We'd have someone dig out the basement, we'd put up the forms with some help, then have the basement poured, and go from there. I was thinking we could by the large wall tent (17 x 20); living in it would be my husband & I and our daughter (17 this Wednesday).

I really want to get in this house with as little debt as possible, and I'm willing to rough it to achieve that. Am I crazy? Is this doable? Has anyone here done it?

DH said this weekend that as soon as the land is ours, he'd like to go ahead and buy the wall tent as soon as possible. We could get the platform built and the tent up and stay out there quite a bit, clearing the land on his days off and coming back to town to stay when he has to work. I'm a teacher, so this summer I could easily do that. What do you ladies think?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  12:50:07 PM  Show Profile
I'd say go for it. We lived in a small log cabin that had no indoor plumbing, teepee shaped, no door outhouse (had a fabulous view of the Kettle River Range mountains). We had to haul our water from down the hill. I went to town for my showers, Jim used a camping solar shower outside It did have a propane stove and fridge which was nice. Slept on the floor on a futon mattress in the loft. Of course we only had to do this for three months until we found our house. It was a wonderful relaxing time. JoAnn P.S. We did this at age 58 and 59. Our friends thought we were crazy but we loved it!

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  1:30:23 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in some places other people would have considered nuts at times and would do it again to have land. I don't think your idea is nuts at all..it is practical..and sounds like fun. I think it would be hard with babies or toddlers..but not in your situation as much..I LOVE the idea and wish I could be your neighbor!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  7:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, its sounds like fun...the only think I would hate to do without in the summer is AC..I like roughing it but don't think I would like a whole summer without air conditioning! :0)

Good luck!!

Michelle

http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  04:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Patti,

You are of strong stock and can accomplish or endure anything! Do it and make sure you give us all the details.

I agree with Michelle that it might be difficult without air conditioning. But, I only know of south Texas heat. Your heat may be more tolerable.

Sacrifice and hardship just build character and strengthen wisdom. No matter how hard or easy it may be, you will come out the other end with wonderful memories and experiences.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  04:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Patti, you can do it, your a farmgirl! Just be sure to journal it all and share your adventures with us, and take lots of pics too! Go for it, sounds like fun!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
i admire your grit. i think it sounds like a great adventure. One of those things i would wish i could do but would be scared to do. i thought that we were really sacrificing when we bought a too small house with no A/C to have our 9.5 acres! i say go for it, live an adventure.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile
definitely, You should do it and record the whole experience. I think it's a great idea and would be a grand adventure.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com
www.smallsqrl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the encouragement. Several of you mentioned AC and summer, and that is an issue for my area. Summer temps are routinely in the 90's with humidity in the 80% range and above. The humidity is a real problem. We would definitely have to plan for that. Fortunately, the property has both a hand-dug, brick-lined well and a "regular" well with a pump, so water is available. Electric is already run to the building site, so we could have fans, which would help. There's so much to consider and plan for, and of course, the house to get sold. That's our biggest concern right now. Other than that, I'm ready!

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:58:32 AM  Show Profile
I say go for it too BUT you might want to watch the PBS series "Frontier House" and also "Colonial House" to make sure you know what you are up against. Just a thought!

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  10:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
We spent one summer in our cabin. No running water, but on the lake. We lived there from April 15th thru August. It was tough. Here's a couple tips that worked great. We rented a portapotty, They aren't bad if you keep it clean and tidy. The company would empty it every week and I think it cost around $70.00 a month. The other thing we would do is go to the laundromat and get jugs of water. We would leave them out in the sun and by late afternoon you could have a warm shower. A bout a gallon per person, if you are frugal. I think it will be great for you. And definately journal it all and take plenty of pictures to show your grandkids some day.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  10:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh...go for it!! How exiciting! I agree with Laura and Melissa - what an adventure!!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  11:12:35 AM  Show Profile
go for it, think of it as an adventure. You can do a/thing and for land, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  4:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patti,

I've been thinking about you today. I have no idea what you or your family looks like, but I've had this Mom, Dad and daughter in my mind all day.....living in a wall tent and doin' just fine!!

About the a/c.....will your daughter need to go to school? will you or your hubby need to go to work in dress clothes? I can handle the heat....work in it, sleep in it, etc.... But, I don't think I could put a bunch of nice clothes on without melting. You could just shower up and then dress when you get to town.

I'm being a big wimp over this a/c thing.....I know you can do it!!

If you don't want to do the whole outhouse thing, Lehman's sells composting toilets. Some are not too expensive, either. All the descriptions say there is no odor and the compost is usable in the garden.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  6:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
my husband and I slept end to end on the top bunk of my childrens bed for a year when he lost his job. If I can do that you can do this you will have more room than we did and you get to wake up to birds singing not your husbands toes in your face. Mind you I still love him and all is well.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:36:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  05:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Take lots of pictures.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could convince hubby.
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  11:08:16 AM  Show Profile
My sister did something similar-they lived in a trailer with 2 kids while they built their house. Lucky for her her husband has great carpentry skills! It's been a slow road but their place is gorgeous, and paid for! I say go for it!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  11:18:40 AM  Show Profile
I was just talking to my boyfriend while reading this. I was saying "Oh cool! They have the land and are going to live in a tent while building the house! I want to do that!" My boyfriend wasn't as enthused. He said he would need a BIG tent and "what would your parents say if they came to visit and we were living in a tent." I wouldn't care!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  11:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, both my mom and dh's parents probably think we're nuts, but they're both really supportive. The one thing both mom's seem most concerned about is not having a regular toilet. I told them we'd either rent a port-a-potty, buy a composting toilet, or build an outhouse. Of course, both of them grew up with outhouses, so they aren't shocked by that idea.

What I can't get over is the number of people who say, "You're going to CAMP OUT?" Like that's unheard of!

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
We've spent alot of time in the summers "Camping out" on our land that we are building on. Chemical toilet and the nearby park with swimming hole were life savers. Cooking over the campfire was great and my kids enjoyed it. My sons laughed at guys in boot camp when it came to survival skills, mountian climbing ect... Called them all city boys. Funny my kids for the most part are city kids with just old fashion camping experence.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  5:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I think it will be worth it!
We had considered buying raw land and doing something similar but came to the realization that with five children and needing the computer for our business, it didn't make sense for us. But we truly thought lots about it.

Hope you share your journey!

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Natural Earth Farm - A Village Homestead making handcrafted goods of natural fibers - http://www.naturalearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Kathryn
Jackson south carolina
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful idea and great opportunity!! It seems in today's world, people don't even know how a house is built. You have a rare chance to learn yourselves and teach your child how to build and love and care for a home built on the land you love. What could be better? More sane? More inspiring?
You should relish, thrive in fact, that you are different, that you care, that there are things worth the time and effort that may not come easy in the beginning. Remember, there are those of us you think you brave and romantic. I wish you only the best and thank you for the inspiration that it's okay to go against the norm in pursuit of dreams..dreams to remember and make real.
Do it !!
-Kathryn
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  9:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Sounds like such a cool summer, not temp-wise, of course! Basically frontier-ing it! When I was in Girl Scouts (growing up in KS, so similar weather to you...maybe even hotter), they taught us to make an a/c by soaking a sheet and hanging it upwind of our area. The shade with the breeze blowing through the wet fabric made for some great relief! If you plan to have fans, you could easily do that, even on those stifling hot wind-less days.

You could also consider trying to find a pop-up tent/camper to live in for the summer. You could keep the windows zipped closed and get a window a/c unit to use to help with the heat, just a thought. (Then sell it when you've got a house.)

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  06:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I decided to pull this up so it goes with the post about having bought your land - congrats!!!

DH and I have been living rough this past year after selling everything in Florida (in Dade City, which Sonflowergurl should know pretty well, being in Wesley Chapel!). We bought a mess of a house and had to "camp" in the one decent room in it for 7 months - it had a gross bathroom and we routinely found slugs & mold - while we remodeled the in-law suite. In October we moved into the in-law suite, all glorious 400 sq. ft. of it, and while we are crowded (did I mention we have 2 big dogs?) it's kind of like living in a vacation cottage.

I won't tell you what you're planning to do isn't tough. It's tough. It seems forever since I saw some of my favorite things, all wrapped up and sitting in an uninsulated storage unit. We are crowded and there are days when we look at this house we bought and ask ourselves why we're so nuts. We haven't fought or anything, but DH has his battles with depression and I sometimes get pulled down for a few days too.

But we are doing all of this for the same reasons you are: no debt. This house, in all its glorious hideousness & dilapidated condition, is ours - paid for. In Florida we could never have afforded a 3br/2ba home with a separate in-law suite! And our next step is to go into a little debt and buy our land. We still will have enough money (barely) for a down payment on some acreage, and we'll pay on that for a while, start our tree farm & nursery there... and 10 years from now we'll be building our home - hopefully also with no debt.

So good luck, and be forewarned that it is tough... we didn't think we'd be living rough in the one room with no door for 7 months, we thought three & we'd be in the suite. And now we've been in the suite for 5 months and are only just getting started on the house. I still hope to be moved in by Christmas & have some relatives up here to help us celebrate!

The one piece of advice I have - if you can find it, get air-controlled storage for your stuff. I have lost some clothes to mildew, and the antique furniture in storage isn't so thrilled either - I noticed some drawers were sticking pretty badly where they hadn't before.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!!
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Yep, I know Dade City! LOL Darn, I could've had a local farmgirl here! LOL Yeah, everything here is sooo expensive, that's why we're renting these days.

We've roughed it some the past couple of years due to job and location changes (we were in this area, left for a new position we hated and moved back)...it's hard, but everything works itself out eventually.

I would love to have an older place to work on and fix up if it meant I could be in my own place! Unfortunately, there aren't very many older places in Wesley Chapel, it's all "new construction".

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Yep, we left Florida about a year ago - too darn expensive for us! At least here we have a chance at finding an old farmhouse to remodel... or we can at least afford some acreage! Florida was crazy.

There used to be some old farmhouses out toward Odessa, and there were some near Dade City too, but they got scooped up pretty fast in the whole real estate madness. If you were able to move further north in Florida, you might still find some near Magnolia - I know of one there that an older friend has yet to finish removing her mother's belongings in and sell. She hates old farmhouses (I don't understand that) and doesn't want to keep it. :(

Sorry I missed meeting you! We do still have family in Florida - my folks are in Wildwood and DH's family is in Brandon and Sarasota.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I nuts? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page