Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Simple Living---the inside scoop. : )
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Simple Living---the inside scoop. : ) Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  6:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
They WHY of what you are trying to achieve through decluttering, downsizing, changing habits, etc...are probably more important than the physical action of doing it.

For me, it's been stages. I first started simply because I couldn't breathe in our house. I was pregnant and I was tired of tripping over stuff. I also hated cleaning for hours upon hours just to have to do it all again the next day. Scott ain't exactly a neat person.

The second wave came after Charlie was born and we were moving. I panicked. I also didn't have the energy to move ALL this stuff. After having dealt with a baby w/ health problems, my day left little time for much other than feedings, making simple meals, a load of laundry, college and MAYBE a shower. Never mind trying to fit in errands and family time. I started looking at ways to minimize cleaning and organizing while maximizing my time, doing things like bulk shopping every 2 weeks, simplifying my wardrobe to yoga wear for ease of care. I also decluttered a lot of chotskies---this was my first big go around on these and I ended up donating over 6 boxes of them. We also had a little shed and I stuffed whatever I "thought" wanted out there for safe keeping, packing it up as I went. For 3 months prior to our move, our house was simple and easy and I swear my mental declutter was so hopeful and peaceful.

Then we moved....into a VERY awkward apartment--storage was fine but it was hard placing furniture in the space that made in movable and comfortable. By now I had a toddler. Much of what we had stayed in the garage, packed up. I didn't have the time nor the energy to unpack it and figure it out. Plus, it was Charlie's first Christmas and the end of a college term and I was really focused on those 2 things.

Then we moved to Texas...big rental house, again with an awkward layout. Enough storage but I had move by myself w/Charlie while Scott stayed in CA for a deployment. It was my chance to get down and dirty. 9 Jeep loads later and one HUGE yardsale...I had made some progress...

We moved back to CA temporarily with Scott before his second deployment-to get family time. This time around---extremely cramped apartment. Thank goodness we had downsized. We lived with some bins stacked and Charlie's room had our bikes and his closet was full, but I got it all in....

Then it was deployment time and back to Texas. Nice large apartment but still, I wanted less. I now was starting to figure out what we used the most, what was necessary and my shopping habits had changed. I bought better items when they came up as a need and I spent time researching prices and finding the best quality. This kept stuff from coming in down to a minimum. This also kept my cleaning to just a few minutes per day plus a good bathroom/floors/vacuum once a week. I finally was able to really appreciate the fruits of my labor. I joined in on the annual neighborhood yardsale and sold maybe another 4 bins of stuff, donating a small amount that was left over.

I found myself suddenly moving into the next phase of my life and my wants, as far as my home and lifestyle. I wanted to go further---push it to the least amount but still be comfortable. I put away anything I wasn't using but still wanted to hang onto (For now). I had a HUGE extra 3rd bedroom, so I just piled the bins in there, neatly of course. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I love our home. I could see all my gems, clean and neat yet had space to move about and enjoy. Cleaning was a breeze and I honestly could do a deep cleaning each week because I didn't have to work around so many things. It was exactly what I had been on the this journey for.

Now, we are in TN. Since we have been here, I have bought 1 TX shaped basket, 2 wicker laundry baskets and 1 winter jacket for Charlie...all at Goodwill!!! Now, it is all about maintenance in anticipation of moving back to Texas. I will be replacing several things once we get there. A lot of things are on their last legs and I will really decided if they need to be replaced at all or just do without.

Here is my needs list:
1. White Dishes
2. 2 loveseats

3. 2 chairs
4. Wooden or metal chairs for around the house---love to thrift them
5. Small Food Processor- already picked out for Christmas
6. New bed/bedding for Charlie

The one's in pink are the priorities...the rest is kinda as we go and find it. I love finding a good bargain...especially at thrift.

As I simplify more...whether having less stuff, find an easier meal to cook, having a smaller space or whatever...I finding I am doing it with a discerning eye and I think before I purchase. I am also hoping to pass on some good habits to Charlie about keeping things clean and neat and being appreciative of what you have. As I get older, I want more memories and less stuff. I love to socialize and I don't want to be a slave to my home or stuff anymore.

The next step is to find that perfect little house or whatever is Texas and enjoy the process of painting...I can't wait!!! : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow with all that moving , I would not want a lot of stuff either.. Good for you!!! I can remember back to having small children going to college and having an apartment or house and I tell you now, I must have had a lot more energy cause I don't know how I did it all, so good luck for the rest of your journey!!!! Because that is what life is a journey!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  8:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Beverely- the interesting thing is I am now moving towards a more minimalistic way of living. I am really excited to see how little I can live with and still be comfortable and happy. : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Simple Living---the inside scoop. : ) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page