walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  06:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Not offended at all! I honestly don't have the faintest idea if they sit on them right away or not. I AM getting impatient though. She's got 8 eggs just sitting in her box!!! Whenever I go out and feed I tell her to go sit on her eggs; she never listens to me for some reason. ha!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  09:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Megan, not all breeds of chickens are setters, and not all hens are broody. When a hen deceids that she is going to sit, she usually waits til she has several eggs in the nest, then once she starts brooding, she does not lay anymore. That way all the eggs pretty much hatch at the same time. Since you live in a cold winter weather area, most hens will not brood this time of the year ( and yes there are exceptions ) I would just pull those eggs and dispose of them, or mark them and pull the new ones that are laid.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  8:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Megan- Oh good so glad I didnt upset you!!! Im almost afraid to ask did your sick chick make it? It is funny how different every chicken is most just hang out and do there thing some bite some sqwalk a lot, some are lovie, some are just way curious. They are as different as people are. I suppose some want kids some don't too.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile
KMC-you didn't upset me at all! :) My sick hen is still hanging in there, and so are my other too-but nobody is claiming those eggs yet! We'll see. I'm going to give them a few more eggs, and then I'll take those eggs out and get rid of them. Today is the last day we are to be giving the anti-biotics, so in 10 days we can start eating their eggs again! I was so dissapointed when I had to go buy eggs at the grocery store!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  3:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Megan- so glad to hear your hen is hanging in there. It is a real bummer to have to buy eggs at the store. Oh well just think how wonderful those eggs will be! Makes me want to go give my hens a kiss. Well good luck with the hens not sitting on the eggs. I have noticed mine are starting to do it a little more this last week. its like they all are taking turns laying in one box and half the time a hen will be in there sitting on the eggs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick chicken! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page