True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

I recieved chickens as a wedding gift. My DH and I had already built a coop, but hadn't gotten around to getting chickens because I didn't feel very well educated about their care.

Now I've got two hens and a rooster. One of the hens seems to get pecked quite a bit. She's lost a few feathers on her back. But, now when she "clucks" she sounds like she's sick, almost like she's drowning (I know how weird this sounds). I asked my neighbor, and he said that it just has a cold and will get better; if I wanted to, I could give the hen a shot of B-12. But, I feel bad for it, and don't really want to be injecting my chickens with ANYTHING. Do any of you ladies have experience with this? She still eats/drinks/poops, and doesn't seem to be in pain in any way (You can still pet her) but, the clucking-drowning-sick sound she makes breaks my heart. Any help would be appreciated!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  06:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Megan, I hope someone can help you here. I have chickens, and everytime one of mine was sick, it died.
I don't have any luck trying to care for a sick one. You may want to separate them, in case it would make the others sick
Good luck. Please don't get discouraged. On the farm every now and then you loose animals. It was very difficult the first few times I lost a goat or chicken or calf. Now, I know it comes with the territory. You just do the best you can.
I hope she gets better.
HUGS!!
Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile
You can try electrolytes in the water. Also some type of antibiotic. Like neomycin that you add to water. If she's laying eggs now you will have to wait a few weeks to eat the eggs. There is always a "favorite" hen that a roo always seems to bother. That's what they look like. Sounds like you need more hens to keep the ole guy busy so he'll leave her alone!

I hope she gets better soon. I had a roo that got sick from all the wet weather we've had lately. I have 6 of them in a stall waiting to be butchered and it was almost flooded. I had to put him in a cage and give him neamycin. He seems to be getting better. Good luck with yours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  07:06:06 AM  Show Profile
And I forgot to say congrats on your wedding! And what a great wedding gift, too. And I see you're in Kentucky. It's been really wet there lately, too. So she probably has some type of resporatory infection.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile
How do you know which chicken lays the eggs? I've got two hens, and I cant tell if she's laying them or the other one?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Megan, it sounds like your hen has a respitory infection, they do and will catch colds, and it can develope into something worse without treatment, anitbiotics, warm dry pen, no drafts, will help. As far as which of the 2 is laying, are you getting 2 eggs aday, if so both are laying, but a sick chicken will quite laying.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  08:13:25 AM  Show Profile
I am only getting 3 eggs a day from all my thousands of chickens. But I know exactly who they came from. One is a game hen and she lays in the cat room. The other is a Welsummer and she lays am almost red egg. The other is an Americana and she lays a green egg. Now when and if my Buffs and Barred Rocks lay, unless I see them do it, I will not know. Then I have 4 that will lay while eggs and 4 more that will lay green. So unless you watch and see who is the egg layer, I can't tell you that. You could put the sick hen in a cage in the hen house so she can still see the others (and it won't be so hard to get her back in with them when she's well) and give her the antibiotics. Then if she's laying throw hers out.

Another way to tell if they are laying at all, other than watching, is their comb. Is it really red or a pale pink? If it's red, they should be laying. If not, they aren't. That's an old wives tale but it is true pretty much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  08:22:53 AM  Show Profile
I have one that acts like she hurt her leg, kinda drags it. I put her in a cage in the hen house with all the others and she is doing great. I'm with Gena though most of the time my sick ones don't recover, the injured always snap back but, not the sick. I did have two hens get over colds and as far as I know they still haven't laid an egg but, then again nobody is laying right now. Everyone has given great advice & I've tried it all. Good luck and I hope your little lady gets better soon.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Kris, My Buffs haven't started laying yet either. I guess it is not quite time.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Megan- On a side note, I would definatly consider getting more hens if you are giong to keep the rooster with them. 1 rooster with 2 hens and you are going to end up with bald, tore up hens getting no peace at all.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  1:35:32 PM  Show Profile
I think that's a good idea about getting more hens. My pen is currently 4 feet wide by 8 feet tall by 10 feet high. How many hens do y'all think I can fit in there? (Once my one hen is better, I'd hate to put more in there without her better) I'm only getting about 1 egg a day. They're either New Hampshire Reds, or Rhode Island Reds, from what I can tell. I'll talk to the DH about getting her a cage...I'd hate for her to be getting the others sick, and picking up some anti-biotic to put in her cage.

I can't tell comb-wise, they both seem bright red and healthy. The sick one also had a weird watery-eye thing going on, but that seems to have subsided.

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  3:54:19 PM  Show Profile
Meg, you should be able to add 4 more.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  05:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Wow. That many? Holy moly! I'll definitely start looking then. 4 MORE?! Wow! Any advice on integrating the new hens once my one hen is better and back in with the original hen and rooster???

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Don't put your new ones in until it's dark and the others have roosted. In the morning, they don't seem to notice the newbies. This has worked every time except once...and that was when the hen really was funky looking. I thought all was good, but about 2 weeks later, the new hed was dead :( Also make sure that the newbies that you put in aren't a lot smaller than the others. Have fun!!!!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:36:13 AM  Show Profile
hi megan, i wanted to ad that if the chicken is getting pecked, you need to either put a red bulb in the coop or seperate her. chickens peck at dark spots to them it looks like a bug or worm. usually they will peck the chicken apart. that is also why you use a red bulb for chicks to keep them from pecking the back end of another chick.also bored chickens peck more. scratch in their yard helps. the color of the combs and legs determine the color of yolk to some extent. it is also how to determine age of hen. dark rich combs young hen. hope this helps. i would seperate her for sure to protect her. chickens lay on average 2 eggs every 3 days sherrye the learn as you go farm silk purse sherrye
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Kelly is right, add them at night, much less of a chance of attack on the new girls.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  10:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, I went to Tractor Supply and asked about a sick laying hen I had. They told me to get Duramycin-10, and add it to the water.

Reading the package it says it's not for chickens who lay eggs for human consumption. Now, I'm not going to be eating the chicken who's sick's eggs she lays (I hope that made sense) but, what about after the anti-biotics are given to it? What does the antibiotic do to them to make their eggs inedible for humans? This concerns me, as I really have wanted to keep the chickens as "all-natural" as possible.

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  11:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Once the antibiotic clears her system, she'll be fine. They have to label not for human consumption because of legal issues. Duramycin-10 isn't a "human" antibiotic. Not to worry. I'm glad to hear your sick chick is still with you...sounds like she might bounce back from this.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  6:40:25 PM  Show Profile
I sure hope so! Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  06:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Megan! I hope your chicken is doing better. We have the most spoiled chickens in VT but they still peck each other (no rooster!)and we've noticed if there's a bloody spot and we spray it w/ Dr. Naylor's Blu-Kote (an antiseptic spray that's purple) it keeps the others from going after it even more. Also, my sister had a rooster that was always after a "favorite" chicken and she made it a chicken saddle, which I'm pretty sure she got the pattern for from the Mary Jane's website. It stays on well and protects the poor bird from further damage. Good luck to you; chickens are surely an adventure and a challenge!

Savor Happy Accidents...

Edited by - Mad Typist on Nov 01 2009 06:49:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  4:25:26 PM  Show Profile
A chicken saddle?! HA! Never even occurred to me. I'll see if I can find it!

Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2009 :  12:01:54 PM  Show Profile
It is our first year for chickens we have 12 laying hens and we had 2 successful batches of meat birds. A wonderful lady that I met at one of the farm stores gave me some great tips for sick chickens. To prevent some of these problems she referred to as Toxsidityosis (probably spelled wrong) is to clean waterers daily with a bleach/water solution and put 1/2 tsp. of apple cidar vinegar per gal of water. That ratio may not be exact but we usually eyeball it. Our laying hens have never been sick but our meat chickens seemed to be more fragile and much more messy so we did have to put them on antibiotics once. Keeping bedding dry is a key I think. Hope your chicken is doing ok now
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  05:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, the hen's been on antibiotics for 5 days now, and no real sign of improvement yet...we'll see. But, someone is still laying eggs-and I'm not eating them. I figure I'll leave them alone and see what happens. My only concern is why they're still laying, it's been getting cold at night, and every time I go out there there isn't a hen sitting on the eggs.

Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:59:46 AM  Show Profile
My hens are young we got them in the spring and they lay eggs in almost all there boxes only once in a while do I see them sitting on the eggs. Our nights are 30 to 40 degrees now. They are usually too busy scratchin around outside. You might want to call a vet and ask for advise sometimes they can help you without it costing you an arm and a leg

Edited by - kmc on Nov 09 2009 09:04:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  3:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Huh, I guess since growing up, my mom (a teacher) always had the eggs in an incubator, so I thought the hens would always sit on them to keep them warm...maybe I'm wrong!

Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  8:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Megan- I am new at the whole chicken thing!!! I just am telling you what I am obseriving from our chickens. I dont think you are wrong! I did not mean to offend you. I have not been blessed with any prior experiences.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick chicken! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page